Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Jak's UK Nationals Report (Top 4!)

baby mario

Front Page Article Editor<br><a href="http://pokeg
I travelled up to London on Friday with mum, dad, and my brother Ben, who was playing in the Masters Division. That evening we went to Planet Hollywood and had a great time. I ate steak and chips and was stuffed!

We got to the Thistle Hotel really early, so we had a bit of waiting around. Luckily, when the tournament started, it was really well-run, and everything went smoothly. There was also an announcement that the top 4 players in each division would get an invite to Worlds.

Swiss

Game 1 vs Fares (Empoleon)
I had a Helix Fossil start and never really got going. Fares got 3 quick Empoleons set up and won easily. He is such a good player, and is always friendly, so it was a good game to play.
0-1

Game 2 vs Adil (Darkrai/Honchkrow)

I got a fast Empoleon this time and started Dual Splashing. Dropped Omastar for 2 prizes and the win!
1-1

Game 3 vs ? (sorry, I can't remember with Manectric, I think)
He couldn't really get set up, and I sniped with Empoleon for the win.
2-1

Game 4 vs. James (Magmortar)
A terrible match-up for him, and a Togepi start didn't help. I got 2 quick Empoleons and Dual Splash + Omastar enabled me to take 3 prizes in one turn.
3-1

Game 5 vs. Luke A. (Empoleon)
I just couldn't get going at all. Phione start with no basics = loss. Well played Luke.
3-2

After Swiss, I was worried that I wouldn't make the top 16. I knew that a few 3-2s would go through, and I hoped the fact that I had lost to players who had gone 5-0 would help me out. I was nervous, though, and wondering if I should have run the GG deck I had used for most of the season. Luckily, when they posted the standings, I found that I had come in 11th place after Swiss.

Top 16

Vs Richard (GG with Furret)
Game 1, I had a turn 2 Empoleon. All he had was Furret, so it was Dual Splash, then Surf Together for the win. Game 2, I got a TGW at exactly the right time (after he had used Keen Eye), that was what won the game for me.

Top 8

Vs Omar (GG with Dusknoir)

These were amazing games against a very good player. Both times he got Dusknoir up and fully powered very quickly. I really thought I was going to lose both times, but spreading with Empoleon helped me to do enough damage to pull out a win in two really close matches.

Top 4

Vs Luke A (Empoleon)
His Dugtrio tech was such a good play, and deserved to win him the match. I managed to take Game 2 by going super-aggressive with Empoleon and just using Surf Together. In the end, though, I lost to a better deck. Well done Luke!

I was really happy to make the Top 4 in my very first season of Pokemon.

Yay! I'm going to Worlds! I hope that Nicholas, Fares, Luke, and I all do really well and show people that there are great players here in the UK.

I want to thank all the people I played against. Everyone was really sporting and friendly and had great SOTG. I also want to thank all the people running and judging the tournament for making it such an enjoyable event.

Lastly, congrats to my brother Ben. He went 5-0 in Swiss before losing in the Top 8. Well done Ben!

If anyone is interested, this is the deck I was playing

Pokemon
4 Piplup MD (50HP)
3 Prinplup DP
4 Empoleon MD
2 Baltoy GE
2 Claydol GE
3 Phione MD
1 Omanyte MD
1 Omastar MD
1 Suicune SW
1 Chatot MD

Trainers
4 Celio's Network
4 Roseanne's Research
3 Professor Oak's Visit
2 Steven's Advice
2 Team Galactic's Wager
4 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
1 Night Maintenance
1 Helix Fossil

Energy
3 Call Energy
2 Scramble Energy
10 Water Energy

baby mario said:
I hope that Nicholas, Fares, Luke, and I all do really well and show people that there are great players here in the UK.

The very fact that you've qualified in what is now a very competitive division over here shows that you're all great players.

Good performance, well done.

Congrats to you and your brother for doing so well in your 1st season! Hope to see you next year,

Tom:biggrin:

gratz for making the top 4. nice list, although im not so sure if the suicune is the right play. Maybe it should be another call energy, or a cessation for those dugtrios.

yeah but you don't really want to start with it. and if your locked by plox or cessation it dosnt help.

Back