Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Japan's new VGC world qualifiers announced.

Elite_4_Allen

Apparently the new VGC rules have been announced.

Care of Pokebeach:
* Only Pokemon from Isshu can be used (excluding Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genosect).
* Each match is a double battle, though the amount of Pokemon each player will use in a match is not mentioned. It might be bring six Pokemon and use four in each match like in the past.
* Pokemon should be Level 50. Pokemon higher than that will be lowered to 50, but Pokemon Level 49 and below will remain the same level.
* You can’t use duplicate Pokemon or Items.
* You can’t change your Pokemon, Items, etc. during the tournament.
Personally, i like the fact that for winning you go straight to worlds, no nationals.

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Japan= Advantage #1: They've had the game for longer.
#2: They do not have to "crunch/blast" through most of the game to get a team ready.

Fair playing field: Only 5th gen pokies we all have to use.

No "old" school teams being used. Nice to break from the current teams for once.

hmmmm, looks as if I will get a copy of both B&W- one to "crunch" through for the vgc, the other to casual play. I can trade between the two games for what I need! Time saver!

If you can take 6- and use four- cool. Works for me. I like to change it up a little, and I am not stuck in "gridlock" with having to use just the four, as it keeps me from being vualnerable against the more common popular teams.

I think that there will be a lot of teams that will be set up that those who have the Japanese versions that will be "mimiced" here in the USA, as those players will have a good "heads up" on the stratagy. (IMO)

But- just my thoughts- I will play/battle with what works best for me and do the best I can.
Glad to have some info on this, and wiat to see if anything changes.

Strait to worlds eh? like'n that idea. Double battlle- I wouldn't have it any other way,personally.

yeah, gonna have to speed through white version to get my team.
Also gonna have to preorder.
Strait to worlds is great, but just puts more on the line.

it doesn't state that there is no vgc nationals, as i highly doubt they would change for structure for invites. personally i think the wording is a bit dubious.

also, getting to worlds from japan is much harder than getting to worlds in the US, just saying.

it doesn't state that there is no vgc nationals, as i highly doubt they would change for structure for invites. personally i think the wording is a bit dubious.

also, getting to worlds from japan is much harder than getting to worlds in the US, just saying.

Yeah, what i meant was you probably won't have to GO to nats.

So sad about not being able to use genosect.:frown:

So sad about not being able to use genosect.:frown:

Why is that? They release one event Pokemon at every movie in July. And Genosect is the 3rd one. So it will take about another 3 years before you will even be able to get a legit one. And there isn't even a place in B/W to interact with it so the only ones out until then will be so painfully obvious that they're hacked it's not even funny.

And here's an interesting question. Since Japan gets Dream World Pokemon before NA does, will you be able to use Japanese Pokemon with DW abilities that aren't out in English at the time of the US VGC? It would be pretty interesting if they decide to bad certon Pokemon just because you got them from breeding with a Japanese DW Pokemon.

Only 5th Gen Pokemon allowed? I like that a lot! Looks like I'll be visiting Serebii's pokedex more often now to plan my VGC team. I guess they opted not to make all battles Triple Battles since it's still a new concept. Reshiram, Zekrom, and the Dragon/Ice type are banned huh? It's all good. I thought they were a bit overpowered anyway.
~Cyber~

@skitty- I think that dream world pokies will not be usable for the vgc, since no 5th gen pokies are in the dream world. If the vgc is 5th gen pokies exclusive, no need to worry about dream world pokies with the new abilities.

Also, not all of the specific details have been confirmed as of yet. They could make last minute changes, or change the banned list- who knows. But as the USA release date gets closer, it leaves vary little time to give us players time to truely take advantage and have an ev/iv + nature/personality team ready without having to do some serious "hard core" trainer time- especialy for move sets for the pokies in the breeding/ability area.

My question is this: Will they just keep releasing newer games each year and say that only the newer games will be the only ones uasable for the vgc?
Or will B&W last for at least 2 vgc's?
I would hope so, as it will have been enough time that has pasted to take full advantage of what the new game mechanics/features have.

If they keep releasing newer games each year, and we get them 1 month before the vgc- it will suck. If the games are compatable, they should allow ALL the cartridges to be usable for the vgc. If not, then it is just a way to make more money and with such a short amount of time to prep for such a high level of competition- no one will even want to go to the vgc with a mediocre team that does not stand a chance against others who have had the time to raise a team for it.

I am glad for the banned list part of the vgc- the USA gets pokies like 6 monthes to a year later that are released in Japan. Some pokies we never even get. We sometimes have to get pokies downloaded on older carts ( which are already pokies norm banned in tournies anyways) just to wait for however long just to transfer them onto the new games when we do get them.

Look, not complaining, just looking at this from a competative players side. I make do with what I have and have fun.
It's all that matters. I just would like to be on the same level as my competition. thats all, because the competative side of me is where the challenge lies <(lays?) ( not like "lier) and a fair challenge is all I ask for.

All I can say is this- see any/all yall at the vgc- good luck, do your best- have fun.
Lets just request a fair playing field. Any of all yall need pokies for 5th gen to get your teams ready- list your FC in the "wanna play thread" for B&W-
heck, maybe after the games release, a trade thread for the vgc can be created ( mod approved of course!) so we can prep some decent teams.

I do get the feeling that without help from fellow players, alot of vgc players will have their "starter" 6 pokies ( the pokies used to get through the game) cuz of the short amount of time from the release date to the vgc dates. (imo).

@skitty- I think that dream world pokies will not be usable for the vgc, since no 5th gen pokies are in the dream world. If the vgc is 5th gen pokies exclusive, no need to worry about dream world pokies with the new abilities.

Also, not all of the specific details have been confirmed as of yet. They could make last minute changes, or change the banned list- who knows. But as the USA release date gets closer, it leaves vary little time to give us players time to truely take advantage and have an ev/iv + nature/personality team ready without having to do some serious "hard core" trainer time- especialy for move sets for the pokies in the breeding/ability area.

My question is this: Will they just keep releasing newer games each year and say that only the newer games will be the only ones uasable for the vgc?
Or will B&W last for at least 2 vgc's?
I would hope so, as it will have been enough time that has pasted to take full advantage of what the new game mechanics/features have.

If they keep releasing newer games each year, and we get them 1 month before the vgc- it will suck. If the games are compatable, they should allow ALL the cartridges to be usable for the vgc. If not, then it is just a way to make more money and with such a short amount of time to prep for such a high level of competition- no one will even want to go to the vgc with a mediocre team that does not stand a chance against others who have had the time to raise a team for it.

I am glad for the banned list part of the vgc- the USA gets pokies like 6 monthes to a year later that are released in Japan. Some pokies we never even get. We sometimes have to get pokies downloaded on older carts ( which are already pokies norm banned in tournies anyways) just to wait for however long just to transfer them onto the new games when we do get them.

Look, not complaining, just looking at this from a competative players side. I make do with what I have and have fun.
It's all that matters. I just would like to be on the same level as my competition. thats all, because the competative side of me is where the challenge lies <(lays?) ( not like "lier) and a fair challenge is all I ask for.

All I can say is this- see any/all yall at the vgc- good luck, do your best- have fun.
Lets just request a fair playing field. Any of all yall need pokies for 5th gen to get your teams ready- list your FC in the "wanna play thread" for B&W-
heck, maybe after the games release, a trade thread for the vgc can be created ( mod approved of course!) so we can prep some decent teams.

I do get the feeling that without help from fellow players, alot of vgc players will have their "starter" 6 pokies ( the pokies used to get through the game) cuz of the short amount of time from the release date to the vgc dates. (imo).

The last part, a lot of players (like myself) can speed through the game and have enough time to get a competitive team. Last year, i didn't get heart gold until it was a month away to VGC and i got 5th place.

You can always use Japanese Pokemon too, just saying. A lot of people have already started to test teams via Pokemon Online (a simulator) after hearing the rules announced. You have several months to get the basis for a team, and when Black/White comes out, all you have to do is actually get those Pokemon. Hell, you could start making your team right now if you have a copy of JPN B/W.

I think the competitive players that make it to National or World level won't be scrambling to get their teams, because most of them have a network (such as I) of friends and resources to easily get Pokemon. Heck, my VGC team for Regionals/Nationals last year (which I placed 4th and 17th in respectively) didn't have one of my own Pokemon, I had other people do the dirty work for me ;)

I mean, one month is enough time to get a team if you ask me. Only makes the competition easier for me.

You can always use Japanese Pokemon too, just saying. A lot of people have already started to test teams via Pokemon Online (a simulator) after hearing the rules announced. You have several months to get the basis for a team, and when Black/White comes out, all you have to do is actually get those Pokemon. Hell, you could start making your team right now if you have a copy of JPN B/W.

I think the competitive players that make it to National or World level won't be scrambling to get their teams, because most of them have a network (such as I) of friends and resources to easily get Pokemon. Heck, my VGC team for Regionals/Nationals last year (which I placed 4th and 17th in respectively) didn't have one of my own Pokemon, I had other people do the dirty work for me ;)

I mean, one month is enough time to get a team if you ask me. Only makes the competition easier for me.

I know, right. More noobs= easier victory for me.

Yes- I did crunch for a team for HGSS in the month time frame. I realy dont have the resources to have others "do the dirty work" for me. I know it is possable to have a team ready for vgc- and there are resouces/info to start planning a team now. I was simply speaking in over all general, and for those who lack/ dont have resources to get in a good solid team, that is all.

That is one reason I like/enjoy the 'gym- a resource and some awsome members who are willing to work together on things such as the vgc.

Well like Benzo said, it sucks Japan is getting so much more time with the game, unless you really care to test on simulators (which I personally don't trust). Granted, I love the idea of only B&W Pokemon...but in practice, that means everyone here will be doing some major crunch breeding for 2 months, won't be any real time to enjoy the game itself (which is a tad sad, I mean I only bought HGSS just to do VGC, still haven't looked into anything else or even turned on my Poke Walker). Granted, you can make breeding a bit easier by preparing the male compatible Pokemon in advance (or buying the Japanese version now), but other than that there's not a whole lot one can do...

I also doubt we'll be seeing many teams copied from Japan; consider the past year's VGC, where what Japan was using basically looked just weird to us. Then someone wins the first American VGC with OgreTop, and that pretty much defined the format here up to Worlds. So if anything, I'm more willing to bet the team of the winner from the first US VGC is going to be mimicked more so than us copying Japan.

Regarding Nats, remember those are JAPAN'S rules that we are seeing; WE very likely will still have a Nationals event coincide with the TCG one to determine who goes to Worlds, meaning we'll still have qualifiers initially to do Nats.

But yeah, just my thoughts. Overall I'm excited, I still don't care for doubles but at least it's a format that we both know and can practice/theorymon on.

^yeah, all we can do is plan with info that is out on other sites.

I do not trust the "simulator" progie things either. Never used one, and never will cuz it can not take into effect all the mechanics of the game. It is not able to "rashonalize" like a human opponant either, it is like if ya played against a wild pokie on the field.
( I can say this although I have not used a "simulator"- I have experiance with other simulated things and all simulaters do is give you an idea of what is going on, and hence can not prep ya for real life.)

Any battle, ANY battle can turn for the worst, even if your up by two healthy pokies.

Also, having to crunch through a game to prep for a team that you have researched on may not go as planned.
Unless ya can read Japanese, and have the game now, we do have a disadvantage here in the states.
I say this cuz of the way that under presser for the high level of competition and no way to see exactly how your pre-researched pokies will actualy will perfom is a matter of time and daily life does not always allow one to have the time to be fully preped without actual practice can make or break your efforts.

But- I do not see how the vgc this next year will be the same without my attendence. I am there for the fun, the high level of comp, and just knowing that if I show up with a Pikachu T shirt on- I will not be laughed at, and proud to know that I gave my opponants the best I can do in such a little time frame.
Besides- there is always 2012 vgc ( unless the Mayan's are right!-lol!) and hopefully they will allow ALL pokies to duke it out. ( 2012, all pokies, yes ALL pokies will be allowed......... please?)

I think the only Isshu guys is the stupidest thing ever.

Sigh. Pokemon, can you ever do ANYTHING right with VGs?

Um...

You realize that you play against other people on a simulator, not against random generated computer opponents? I don't get why you don't "trust" one. I mean, there are all these resources and you're not taking them to your advantage simply because you don't "trust them?"All the best players in VGC spend time playing not only on actual games but testing on simulators too.

Back