Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Jirachi: A new star?

Thunder

(Pun intended)

Okay, I've been looking in to a replacement for Claydol and Uxie, mostly because they're most likely going to be rotated out next format, but also because it's very susceptible to sniping. I think that Jirachi has potential as a really good starter pokemon. (Sorry for that one.)

Firstly, the card itself, and what makes it so good.

Jirachi - Basic - 60 HP - Metal

Final Wish - Once during your opponent's turn, if Jirachi would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, you may search your deck for any 1 card and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. (Poke-POWER)

[0] Detour - If you have a Supporter card in play, use the effect of that card as the effect of this attack.

[M] Swift (20) This attack's damage isn't affected by Weakness, Resistance, Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies, or any other effects on the Defending Pokemon.

R+20 P-20 0 Retreat Cost

Okay, firstly, the HP. it could be a lot better, but the one benefit to low HP is that it will get Knocked Out faster, allowing you to activate it's power, Final Wish, which allows you to search your deck for ANY card in the deck. Ideally, you should get Knocked Out around T3. By then, you should have one almost all of the cards needed to set up one of your main attackers. Jirachi lets you search for that last evolution card/rare candy/energy/expert belt needed to get your attacker ready to go. If you already have a main attacker set up, go for a card needed to set up the next one then.

As for what Jirachi will be doing before it gets knocked out, take a look at it's first attack. Detour lets you duplicate the effects of your current Supporter. That means you can essentially play two Bebe's/Roseanne's/Volkner's/whatever, greatly speeding up your set up. Because of this, Jirachi best lends itself to decks that run a good amount of supporters.

I've been playing Bebe's, Collector/Roseanne's, Palmer's, and Professor Oak's New Theory, along with some other trainers (Pokedex Handy910, Pokegear 3.0, VS Seeker), and it's been doing pretty well. All in all, my entire standard searching engine takes up a total of 30 cards. That leaves half of the deck to accommodate your main attacker and techs. Even if you're running a max line of a stage 2, and 12 energy for it, that's still only 24 cards, leaving 6 for random techs. Remember, I came up with this engine assuming a Platinum on format, so there's not much else you'll need to run beyond a main attacker and energies.

Anyway, I think that Jirachi/Supporter build has merit. What do you guys think?

Ok at first - there are much better starters, because it´s really bad that jirachi is just playable in turn 2 if you start and so you have to wait for turn 2 to play a supporter and then you setup turn 3....
maybe 1 could be useful in some decks, because it has no retreat costs, but i don´t really think that it will be that good.
think about that....

If I understand you correctly, you're saying Jirachi is bad because you can't use the cards you search for T2 until T3? Well, you still get to use the supporter you play normally, and often times you won't be able to use the second searched card, because it will be the evolved form of the first card you searched out, and unless you already have a rare candy/BTS in play, it really doesn't matter.

Also, there are better starters from the Platinum on format? Like what?

Spiritomb AR in my opinion is the best starter you can get in the current format for set-up decks. Darkness Grace allows you to evolve your own Pokemon, while it slows down your opponent by not letting them (or yourself) play ANY trainers.

The problem I have with Spiritomb is the fact that it costs an energy to retreat it, and that it locks your trainers as well. I could see it doing some good as well, but I personally prefer Jirachi.

Why not use Sableye? You get to use the Supporter right now. Plus you have an outside chance of a donk if you run Dark.

Because I'm trying to get have this be usable in the probable Platinum on format, and Sableye is from SF.

Good point.

Though it hurts my brain just thinking of what's playable now, never mind after the rotation.

Watch out for things that DON'T let you use the power though.

Gengar and Machamp come instantly to mind, but are SF. However, there will always be effects to worry about.

ugh feel in love with this jirachi, he's actually my starter for 2 of my decks. works amazing for Dusknoir. Jirachi KO'd + Dusknoirs Hard Feelings = Crazy damage. but i found that running 2 Special Metal Energy helps keep him out little longer.

Back