Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Jirachi?

Charizardian

I was just looking, could RR Jirachi be a useful card as maybe like an opener? It's essentially like playing two supporters a turn, and then when it's done you can sacrifice it for a free card. Any thoughts?

RR Jirachi is amazing as an opener i believe. It's best to go second withit to get those supporters out right away, but either way it can duplicate the effects of the supporter which will reall speed up your game. The free card at the end is also nice especially if you're not getting the draw u need. This is one example I had at a pokemon League.
went 2nd with Jirachi as starting pokemon, took 20 damage froma tackle, i played a supporter rosseannes research got my baltoy and another basic, then when jirachi died baltoy was ready to evolve so i searched for my Claydol right away! It got me moving quickly. =D
Thx for reading

My only problem with Jirachi RR is that Gengar OHKOs it with [del]Poltergeist[/del] and you won't be able to use Jirachi's power ('cause it isn't killed by damage in this case). :[[
Edit: ...PFFFT I can't play this game anymore. Shadow Room, not Poltergeist.

Last edited:
I'll take my chances against Gengar. I love Jirachi RR as a starter in certain decks. I've messed around with it in a LuxApe deck and it can really, really make it a super fast deck (more than it already is). With that being said, going first stinks. But if you can win the opening flip... Jirachi RR + Cyrsus's Cospiracy = Luxray GL LvX goodness next turn.

I've never seen a very strong build that uses Jirachi RR as a starter.

Since it's only a setup card and really does no damage, it allows your OPPONENT to take their time and build as well.

I'd rather just dump my hand and use Furret or Lopunny. At least those two can punch a little bit before they go down.

The whole idea behind Jirachi is it's supposed to speed things up by playing a extra supporter, making it easier for that player to do what he/she needs to do to win. Although so far it hasn't worked like that.

Actually, Jirachi comes in handy in that it turns wasted turns (Don't have enough energy to attack, don't have your Stage 2s yet, etc.) into somewhat helpful turns. It takes no energy to attack or retreat, it gives you a card when it is KOed (though not if by Machamp's Take out or Gengar's Shadow room :[) all of which mean you're essentially losing nothing by using it except for your attack of the turn. And if you didn't even have an attack to start with....
Once you can attack, it switches out the easiest of any set up card (except Chatot) being that its the only one with free retreat and no energy cost (and it doesn't nuke your hand like Chatot, which sometimes is useful and sometimes isn't)

Works very nicely in Flygon builds, except for the fact that I reeeally don't need to be handing Gengars free prizes <___<

Jirachi is amazing if you happen to have the right supporters in your opening hand to set up with. The problem is when you don't have any supporters or you don't have the right supporters, Jirachi does literally nothing for you, except maybe letting you search for a card when knocked out. Sableye functions very similarly but still works when you don't have any supporters or do't have the necessary supporters in your hand. In addition, if you're running dark energy, it can provide you with the opportunity to donk I suppose. Therefore I find Sableye to typically be superior to to Jirachi.

The problem above all other problems is that this is not a format where set up decks can easily thrive. The few that do exist and have the ability to perform well against the likes of Machamp/Kingdra/Beedrill/Gengar/SP-- mainly Tyranitar and Flygon-- have no need for Jirachi because both tend to use Weavile as a starter (Broken Time Space allows for a turn 1 Weavile in either deck), and Tyranitar also already has Sableye as a generally better option.

Jirachi also does nothing going first, which is especially unfortunate since that means it probably won't do anything at all aside from use its Power, if the opponent is running anything other than a set up deck. Gengar and Machamp take away the chance to use that Power as well, making it totally useless.

If I was going to run a starter at all, it would be Pachirisu. Call for Family is a great way to open the game, and Smash Short can be effective at any point against SPs. Sableye would also merit consideration in certain decks (aside from the obvious Tyranitar).

Back