Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Judges - heads up heading into City Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulbasnore

Administrator
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
Now that we have rulings back from PUI and posted in time for City Championships, let’s take a quick look at a few things that could come up and would be good to have worked out ahead of time.
Gengar
This beastie’s Poké-POWER, Fainting Spell, is going to be one you will encounter and need to be sharp about. In no particular order:
  • Psychic Lock doesn’t interact with Fainting Spell anymore than it did Phoenix Turn.
  • Fainting Spell is not turned off by special conditions.
  • Fainting Spell is not triggered by:
    • being devolved
    • KO by special conditions
    • KO by placing damage counters
  • It is NOT a mandatory game action (no POWER is)
    • watch out for rushing by the opponent to short-circuit the activation
    • don’t force it to be applied or rewind to it when someone legitimately forgot to apply it
Tyranitar
Ttar’s Poké-BODY, Darkness Drive, happens AFTER the effect of any Poké-POWER, so of course it can pick up a Darkness energy discarded from your deck by a POWER.

Type Casting

As you know, Stormfront Infernape and Torterra don’t get the benefit of abilities like Wild Growth and Heat Metal because of their type… until they level up. The Lv.X card’s type applies when it is in play.
Our old friend Charizard, in like manner gets the benefit of Heat Metal when it is Fire type, even if the attached energy is natively, say Darkness type. However, if you change Charizard’s type, say with Weavile, then you can’t get the benefit of Heat Metal.

1 time, 2 times and half a time

Luxury Ball can’t be used if another copy is in the discard. Using the effect one time is good but using the effect of a second copy is bad. You might want to huddle up with the HJ & TO and decide your approaches to this, if it happens. In my opinion, it’s not quite as game breaking as past abuses, such as a double Quick Search or POW! Hand Extension while ahead on prizes. It is kind of on the order of leaving a Protective Orb on a basic while you Rocket’s Admin… a little *illegal* edge.

Raichu’s Link Lightning let’s your players attack twice in a turn. Players can use Voltage Shoot twice, if they have the requirements. However, if there are two KO’s from the attacks, the opponent replaces his or her active after the first KO and the Raichu player takes a prize before the second attack!

The Poke … + cards — Healer, Blower, Drawer — can be played for ‘half the effect’. Again, what if a player drops one Poke Blower + and summons his opponent’s Pokemon from the bench? This is something, like flipping cards for Gallade’s Psychic Cut, which needs to be done all at once. Again, you might huddle up ahead of time and decide how you’re going to work through the situation if it comes up… either accidentally or on purpose.

If you want to follow up on any of these things, look up the italicized terms in the index of the Rulings Compendium LvX and reference the cards themselves in the Researching Tower.

Visit original post on Compendium site...

Last edited:
Also,

From another judge's chair...

Make an effort to have all your players not forget their prizes, and discuss the penalties for the prizes not being out.

Review the guidelines...it is no longer a "Game Loss" as quickly as it used to be.

Stress it in your announcements, stress it at the beginning of the round.

40 minute rounds for swiss. Remember the new timeframe.

If you aren't sure, check and ask. One sign of a good judge is to know all the rules.

One sign of a GREAT judge is to confer with other judges and make sure the calls are correct.

Judging is a "Team Sport". It takes all judges doing their best to make a great event.

Take pride in your work.

Enjoy.

Vince

another idea for judges, Especially if your going to be a single judge for the event. CALL other judges. If your confused, call another judge and get some sort of input.

Thx for this thread Kim! Great to see these items consolidated. This will help many judges AND players get things correct.

Keith

Enjoy your event! I just did this in a rush, because I wanted to highlight that a batch of rulings were back & published... could have talked about the Psychic Restore for KO to Gengar avoiding Fainting Spell... or about the requirement to indicate your Poke-POWER use by more than just performing the effect.

Kim -

Excellent! My only warning here on the gym is when I excavated a (very old) PUI post. Since I know better, I paste it here for all to see. To me, all judges need to know this cold.

Steve

In regards to the debate spawned in this thread.

Copied from the POP boards:

I discussed this issue with both Yasu and Dave, and we feel that we've come to a fair consensus.

Per the rulebook, the game is split into 4 "steps";

1) Draw a card.

2) Do any of the following:
> Put Basic Pokemon on the Bench (as many as you want).
> Evolve Pokemon (As many as you want).
> Attach 1 Energy card to 1 of your Pokemon (only once per turn).
> Play Trainer cards (As many as you want, bot only one Stadium and one Supporter card per turn).
> Retreat your Active Pokemon (only once per turn).
> Use Poke-Powers (as many as you want).

3) Attack!
> Check to make sure that you have enough Energy attached to your Active Pokemon to attack.
> Check Weakness and Resistance of your opponent's Pokemon.
> Put damage counters on your opponent's Pokemon.
> Check to see if you Knocked Out your opponent's Pokemon.
> Take a Prize card (if you Knocked Out your opponent's Pokemon).

4) Your turn is over now (also known as "between turns").

If an action is mandatory (i.e. draw a card at the beginning of your turn, take a prize for knocking out a Pokemon, place damage counters for an attack, etc.), and you forget to take that action, you do not need your opponent's permission to do it. However, you should immediately call a judge so that things don't get muddled.

If an action is optional (playing a Trainer, attaching an Energy, attacking your opponent's Pokemon, etc.), and you forget to take that action, you must ask your opponent for permission to take that action. For example, if you attach a Grass Energy to your Pokemon, and you wanted to attach a Fire Energy, you must ask your opponent's permission to take back the Grass Energy and attach the Fire energy instead. If he or she says no, you're stuck with the Grass Energy.

While it is mandatory to proceed through both step 2) and step 3), the actions in those steps are optional. You can choose not to attach an Energy card. You can choose not to play a Trainer. You can choose not to attack the defending Pokemon. However, once you have entered one of these steps, you cannot rewind to a previous step without your opponent's permission.

In other words, once you've entered step 3), you cannot leave it without your opponent's permission. If you declare an "illegal" attack, you may ask your opponent if you can back out of step 3). If he or she says yes, you go back to step 2) and can take any actions that you could have taken during that step. If he or she says no, you may either select an attack that is "legal" or pass.

Most often a rewound game state is due to mandatory game actions that were not taken (i.e. placing damage counters for an attack or effect).

Now, lets all play nice. :D

You're reading a thread that is a year old that was posted on by some kind of sales bot.
Locking.

woah.

It is NOT a mandatory game action (no POWER is)
  • watch out for rushing by the opponent to short-circuit the activation
  • don’t force it to be applied or rewind to it when someone legitimately forgot to apply it
Recently in a BR a new player was playing and he was using Tyranitar, now darkness drive I know you don't have to activate. I was being nice and told him about darkness drive. Stuff like this really messes me up when I try to help the new people.

I didn't care when a judge told my opponent switching/leveling up counted after he has issues about "defending pokemon"

edit: just noticed it was a revive thread oopps :/

BTW
Ampharos PT1 also Shuts of Gengar :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back