Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

JUdging a Tourny

AXE

MY dad and i are running local tournies and we where wonderong if you have to be a Professor to run a tourny. HE was a prof. under wizards but something got all messed up and cound'nt get it set up. And we really want to know is if he can judge the tourny so i dont have to.
DAve III

Although you do need to be a recognized TO with a My Pokemon account ( I think!! ) to be able to sanction the tourneys and thus get your players ranking points!

Nopoke, in that case how does the tourney organizer upload the results thus earning his players the ranking points if he hasnt got access to the TO facility?

TheGame said:
Nopoke, in that case how does the tourney organizer upload the results thus earning his players the ranking points if he hasnt got access to the TO facility?
The OP Provider does it for them or in the case of the 16 that have just run .. apparently.. not all get sanctioned..

Priority should be given to active Professors (as per POP's recommendations to PTOs for picking judges to help run major tournaments), but anyone with a decent knowledge of the rules can judge.

Regarding .TRN file tournament uploads, the file has a field for the Head Judge, requiring a name and POP ID. So, I'd guess that a HJ needs a POP ID.

What about playing and judging at the same time. There may be weeks that we need one more player in order to get it sanctioned. Is a three judge system recomended, or is it just frowned apon?

Pokémon Organized Play Floor Rules said:

Player Eligibility
[font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
Anyone is allowed to participate in a Pokémon Organized Play sanctioned event, except for the following positions:
  1. • The tournament organizer for that event

2. Any judge assisting in the event

3. • Corporate employees of The Pokémon Company and Pokémon USA, Inc.

4. • Nintendo Corporate employees

5. • Game Freak inc. employees

6. • Creatures employees

7. • Former employees of the above mentioned companies (until 60 days after their last day of employment)

8. • Employees of companies who assist Pokémon USA, Inc, in promoting organized play in their country

9. • Any player that has been suspended by Pokémon Organized Play

10. • Special invitation-only tournaments, such as the Pokémon World Championships
http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/tournaments/pdfs/Pokemon%20Organized%20Play%20Floor%20Rules.pdf

'mom

[/font]

This question was posed by a friend of mine at League:

If you were playing in an event, and the judges recognized your knowledge of, let's say, the Compendium, and asked you a question about it, would that make you an assisting "judge", in a way?

Or if this hypothetical scenario was happening, would the official judges not be allowed to ask a playing Prof. at all?

TeamRocket4Life said:
This question was posed by a friend of mine at League:

If you were playing in an event, and the judges recognized your knowledge of, let's say, the Compendium, and asked you a question about it, would that make you an assisting "judge", in a way?

No, Judges can use any resource that they deem appropriate to getting a correct ruling. There is no reason to exclude a knowledgable player from the list of available resources.

Or if this hypothetical scenario was happening, would the official judges not be allowed to ask a playing Prof. at all?

They can ask but there is something wrong with the setup of the tournament if the Judges feel the need to refer to a particular player frequently. So yes they can ask but the circumstances should be uncommon.

Generally speaking, a judge should NOT refer to a player (who knows the rules) for a ruling. We eliminated the 3-judge system to avoid this potentially biased situation.

That being said, on RARE occasions, I ask a fellow professor about a particular ruling, but NOT for games he's involved in.

Also, a player has every right to present his case to the judge on how he feels a particular ruling should be made in his/her particular match. And, a non-playing parent has a somewhat-limited right to speak for his/her young child.

Right right, this would DEFINITELY be bad if the question was on the game the Prof. was in.

I should have clarified that the question would be about a different game.

I agree that it should be a rarely used last resort. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Back