Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Junk Arm Question

TowelMan

My friend wanted to use Junk Arm. He already had an N in the discard pile. He discarded Energy Retrieval and a Pokemon. Is he allowed to get Energy Retrieval back using Junk Arm's effect?

If there was another viable Trainer: Item target before using the Junk Arm, then yes, he could do that. If the only Trainer in his discard was N, a Trainer: Supporter, then no.

Yeah. Don't forget what Argyris posted. You can't play a Junk Arm if there's nothing to get back.
I'm sure you can get back a Trainer - Item you discard with Junk Arm but you can't play Junk Arm in the first place if there isn't a Trainer - Item in the discard pile.

The Compendium is your friend...

Q. Can I use Junk Arm if there aren't any trainer cards already in the Discard Pile?
A. No, you cannot play Junk Arm unless there is at least one Trainer card other than Junk Arm already in the Discard Pile beforehand. (Dec 9, 2010 PUI Rules Team; Jun 16, 2011 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Junk Arm, discarding something + 1 Item card to get that 1 Item card back into my hand?
A. Junk Arm says to discard 2 cards first, then search for an Item card. Since the two cards are in the Discard Pile, one of them can be retrieved by the Junk Arm search. (Nov 3, 2011 PUI Rules Team)

My friend wanted to use Junk Arm. He already had an N in the discard pile. He discarded Energy Retrieval and a Pokemon. Is he allowed to get Energy Retrieval back using Junk Arm's effect?

No, he cannot, assuming thats it.

N is a Trainer-Supporter, not a Trainer-Item. Junk Arm is looking for Trainer-Items specifically (it's a conflict with the change in terminology between HGSS and BW). Since there would be no viable Trainer-Item in the discard at the time he tried to Junk Arm, it cannot be played. Now, if there was already a Trainer-Item there (Such as, say, Potion) in addition to the N you mentioned, he could discard the Energy Retrieval and then pick it back up. But there has to be a viable target before the card is played, and N is not one.

Back