Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Junk Arm to get another Junk Arm

Cherry Picker

Card reads:
Discard 2 cards from your hand, then show 1 trainer card from your discard pile to your opponent, and put it in your hand.
You can’t choose Junk Arm from your discard pile with this card’s effect.

When they say you cant chosse Junk Arm do they mean you cant chosse ANY junk arm or the one you are using the effect to get another trainer. Its tricky cause when it talks about a pokemon as it self,you usally say this pokemon...so do i say this card or this trainer instead of junk arm???

Thanks-cherrypicker

This is interesting...depending on how you read into the card, I see 1 of 2 scenarios:

1. It's self referencing; since you discard Trainers immediately to play it, it's basically saying you can't grab the same Junk Arm again and presumably do some sort of wacky pseudo-stall by replaying and regrabbing it.

2. It refers to any Junk Arm in the discard, meaning you cannot grab any of course.

So yeah...I'm guessing the intent is aimed at #2, but I'd be interested in a ruling as well.

These seem to imply that you can, provided you ALREADY have another Junk Arm in the discard pile before playing Junk Arm, or which is discarded by Junk Arm, as the two cards are almost identical:

Q. May I retrieve the same Item Finder card that I just played as the Trainer card to retrieve?
A. Since you're playing the card Item Finder it won't be in your discard pile to pull back [until after you've retrieved a Trainer Card] (2-24-00 WotC Chat)
Q. Can I use Item Finder, discarding something + 1 trainer card to get that 1 trainer card back into my hand? Or can you not retrieve either of the two discarded cards because they are not yet in the discard pile at the time the Item Finder is being played?
A. If a card says trade, then you cannot. This one does NOT say trade, it simply states a requirement in order to use the trainer. You play a trainer, pay its cost, then do what it says. Then discard that trainer, so you would not be able to Item Finder the Item Finder played BUT you CAN use it to bring back one of the cards discarded. If it said trade you would not be able to. So the only card that is off-limits for returning in this case is the Item Finder that you're playing. (Nov 16, 2000 WotC Chat, Q154 & Q166)
You aren't going to be in an infinite loop as you have to discard 2 cards every time in order to play it, and you aren't playing it to no effect. You are lightening up your hand so you can presumably draw or something of the like. You should still ask the Rules Team. It will make overlooked cards such as Shiny Milotic a lot more playable as well :)

Back