Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

just curious

ok, this came up and i haven't seen something that answers this, so sorry if this has been covered but why does darkest impulse get activated if i rare candy something, but energy shower from milotic doesn't if i rare candy it?

both say "when played TO EVOLVE a pokemon"

Q. If I use Rare Candy to evolve Feebas into Milotic, can I still take advantage of Milotic's "Healing Shower" Poke-Power at that time?
A. No. Healing Shower states "when you play Milotic from your hand to evolve..."; otherwise it would have been phrased "when Milotic comes into play from your hand..." (Jul 1, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Does Rare Candy activate Dark Ampharos' "Darkest Impulse"?
A. Yes, it does. (Nov 4, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

this just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever....... how can one be activated when the other isn't based on the ruling that if u rare candy something, the evolution is not being played TO EVOLVE the pokemon.......

am i just missing something here?

Exactly what my Strike & Run post is about.

Contradicting rulings when two different Pokemon or card results do the same thing but yet Ruled differently.

Maybe only difference is Dark Ampy's is a Poke Body and Milotic's is a Poke Power but yet, they Both state From Your hand as Rare Candy is being played from Your hand.

Still confused

Last edited:
yeah i still haven't gotten an answer to this, which is kinda annoying since yesterday while judging, i saw people playing d amphy while others played milotic....... kinda ridiculous to have a double standard for the exact same text.....

We ask.
We wait.

I'll just note that while Rare Candy evolution is involved in both cases, in one it's evolving the card with the Power and in the other, the card with the Power is watching the evolution happen.

ok let me tell u all this ruling do not have anything wrong IMO,lets recap all the text involving in this problem

Poké- Body Darkest Impulse.
As long as Dark Ampharos is in play, whenever your opponent plays an evolution card from his or her hand, to evolve 1 of his or her Pokémon, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon. You can't use more than 1 Darkest Impulse Poké- Body each turn.

Milotic Poké- Power Healing Shower
Once during your turn, when you play Milotic from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may remove all damage counters from all of your Pokémon and your opponent's Pokémon (excluding Pokémon- ex)

Rare candy
choose 1 of your basic pokemon in play.if u have a stage 1 or 2 card tat evolves from tat pokemon in your hand,put tat card on the basic pokemon(this count as evolving)

first why Dark impulse triggered when a pokemon evolve with a rare candy whereas Healing shower didnt,tats simply becos if u look at milotic's pokepower and rare candy u know why.

see DArk impulse again
Poké- Body Darkest Impulse.
As long as Dark Ampharos is in play, whenever your opponent plays an evolution card from his or her hand, to evolve 1 of his or her Pokémon, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon. You can't use more than 1 Darkest Impulse Poké- Body each turn.

Rare candy
choose 1 of your basic pokemon in play.if u have a stage 1 or 2 card tat evolves from tat pokemon in your hand,put tat card on the basic pokemon(this count as evolving)

this means no matter wat your opp evolves his/her pokemon ,the Body triggered.IT DOES NOT SPECIFY WAT POKEMON IS THE BASIC POKEMON GONNA EVOLVE,IT SAYS "EVOLVE" TATS ALL

for the Healing Shower now look

Once during your turn, when you play Milotic from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may remove all damage counters from all of your Pokémon and your opponent's Pokémon (excluding Pokémon- ex)

now if u want to use Healing Shower,feebas must evolve to milotic as the pokepower specify u play milotic from your hand WHEREAS RARE CANDY DOESNT SPECIFY AND THEREFORE IT PASS THROUGH THE POKEPOWER AND SKIP TAT STEP
this ruling is also the same as playing entei(neo revelation-Howl) from hand by using Lt surge(trainer),since lt surge didnt specify wat basic pokemon u have to place down and Entei's Howl must be played from your hand(not from trainers or others,this apply for milotic too)the Howl will not be triggered.

In Japanese Rule,

Q. If I use Rare Candy to evolve Feebas into Milotic, can I still take advantage of Milotic's "Healing Shower" Poke-Power at that time?
A. No. Healing Shower states "when you play Milotic from your hand to evolve..."; otherwise it would have been phrased "when Milotic comes into play from your hand..." (Jul 1, 2004 PUI Rules Team)
<<<<<<
YES, as rare candy is considered PLAY THE EVOLUTION CARD FROM HAND.

Q. Does Rare Candy activate Dark Ampharos' "Darkest Impulse"?
A. Yes, it does. (Nov 4, 2004 PUI Rules Team)
<<<<<<<
YES, as rare candy is considered PLAY THE EVOLUTION CARD FROM HAND. So the dark impulse can trigger when your opponent use rare candy to evolve.

Hope Helps

jesschow12 said:
for the Healing Shower now look

now if u want to use Healing Shower,feebas must evolve to milotic as the pokepower specify u play milotic from your hand WHEREAS RARE CANDY DOESNT SPECIFY AND THEREFORE IT PASS THROUGH THE POKEPOWER AND SKIP TAT STEP
this ruling is also the same as playing entei(neo revelation-Howl) from hand by using Lt surge(trainer),since lt surge didnt specify wat basic pokemon u have to place down and Entei's Howl must be played from your hand(not from trainers or others,this apply for milotic too)the Howl will not be triggered.

Lay off the bold facing, unless you are actually right and have a valid point... :mad:

Milotic says nothing about evolving from Feebas. Milotic says exactly the same thing as Dark Ampharos, which is when you play Milotic from your hand to evolve 1 of your pokemon, not "to evolve Feebas..." :nonono:

Quite the complecated question, I'm not really sure about it either, its like the whole muk ( Fossil ) and muk ex thing, they shut down all powers and poke-body's yet you can play zappy ex from your hand and still use its power. Anyways I read the card text of milotic and after long thinking I kinda understand but am still confused with the ruling. My guess is becuase your using another card's affect to evolve into milotic and not by natural means.

While with the dark amphy it doesn't state really by natural or un-natural means, it just states when a pokemon evolves.

Last edited:
Lay off the bold facing, unless you are actually right and have a valid point... :mad:

Milotic says nothing about evolving from Feebas. Milotic says exactly the same thing as Dark Ampharos, which is when you play Milotic from your hand to evolve 1 of your pokemon, not "to evolve Feebas..." :nonono:

u guys still dunno wat it means -_-'',this logic is same as entei's Howl and lt surge

Entei-Howl

when u play entei from yuor hand,u may discard.....

LT surge

u can play this card if u have at least 1 basic pokemon in your hand.put a a basic pokemon card from your hand into play as active pokemon,put the old one back to bench

1st u cant activate entei's howl if u are using lt surge and put entei into play,this also means tat entei is played from your hand through Trainer card,so about milotic it is the same logic as this one,if u played milotic from hand through rare candy or other effects(and u didnt evolve it by using normal evolving),the power will not triggered

jesschow, you see, that post made a lot more sense.

Your initial point sounded more like you were saying that Milotic's text said something specific about evolving from Feebas -.-

And you DON'T HAVE TO ABUSE BOLD FACING so much. -.-;;

Back