Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kakuna.dec

Well, due to my winning with a crazy rare from a bad set, I feel obligated to make a report. And since I won a good number of my games with Kakuna, a CIRCLE, I feel the title should reflect his amazing and common self.

This report begins on March 8th at Kansas States. I choose to play Magsol because I felt the most comfortable with it and I felt it would be able to deal with the majority of the lower-par decks that would be played there, although there were a mentionable amount of archetypes. Anyway first round I ended up playing a friend from Springfield who was playing Beedrill, which I thought would be a walk in the park match-up. However, it was probably one of the hardest match-ups of the day. He got set up so incredibly fast AND was taking out Magmortars left and right. I did end up barely winning, and really it was only due to a few play errors he made, not Beedrill’s weakness.

So a few weeks afterward I decided that I wanted to try Beedrill as well. So I built an early version and it did very well, I was actually undefeated at league and in playtesting. Then the Monday before Regionals I felt I needed something to give me an extra boost against GG and more importantly, Magmortar. I decided that I had the resources and consistency in the deck to add another Stage 2 line. I narrowed the possibilities down to Dusknoir and Blastoise d, and finally decided on Dusknoir because of its ability to help in every game. I tested quite a bit Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, with the help of Jake <3, made a few changes and had the perfect list.

I really wouldn’t call this a secret deck, because that was not my intent when making it. I simply wanted something consistent that would have at worst 50/50 matchups..which I guess is kind of rare in this format. So call it what you will.

I’m not going to give the entire list, but I will list the Pokemon…

4x Weedle
4x Kakuna
4x Beedrill
2x Baltoy
2x Claydol
1x Duskull
1x Dusknoir

Another highlight is that I played Crystal Beach as well.

So Friday night I played SSBB with Jake, Bells Bells and Jayson then picked up Carlos and went to sleep. Carlos and I headed out for the Mall at like 9:30 and registered for the tournament. Sadly, Jake, who used Beedrill as well, wasn’t able to get to the tournament until middle of round 2 so he had to start at 0-2, which stopped him from making the final cut =(.

The turnout was amazing, 223 was the final number I believe. There was always a side event going on, and I happened to get 2nd in the Trivia contest!!! Yay!! So, now on to the actual matches.. A lot of these matches are very fuzzy, but I will try my best. ALSO I only had one game where I didn’t prize either a Weedle/Beedrill, so very rarely did I ever get to the 120.

Round 1: Skittles (Ho-Oh/Togekiss)
Oh dear, first round fire. I was happy when he filled his bench..but unhappy when I prized my Duskull, which would have given me the autowin right there. So I get 2 Claydols by turn 3 and kill a Togepi with 1, and he responds with the RC/Togekiss to fill his Ho-Oh with 4 energy to kill my active Claydol. I evolve to 2 Beedrill, I now have 3 out and do 90 to it, he flips heads and I draw the Duskull. I prized a Weedle and I really can’t afford him getting another heads on Phoenix Turn. So I Night Maintenance the line back and Great Ball for the Weedle and do 60 to the Ho-Oh. He RC/Togekiss to give 2 energy to his other Ho-Oh and some to a Togekiss. He kills my Beedrill and I send up Weedle, attach a PP, evo to Kakuna, RC to Dusknoir and shuffle the other Ho-Oh, and let the active Ho-Oh die to Poison, leaving him with a Baltoy, Pachirisu and 2 Togekiss. We are tied on prizes, he can’t lay another Ho-Oh down because of Dusknoir and I evolove to Beedrill and take the next prize after 2 turns. This was probably my hardest matchup of the day, kinda sad considering it was Round 1.

Lunch break, I got some food and talked with my lovely Pokemon friends, including the BF Nathan.

Round 2: Honchkrow/Weaville
I lay down Crystal Beach turn 2 and he plays no counter stadiums so that really slowed him down. I also got out Claydol turn 2 and I believe 2 Beedrill turn 3 and a 3rd next turn. He was never able to dwindle my hand so I had the game the entire time and easily took all 6 prizes.

Round 3: Hurricane
He played his deck differently than the other lists I’ve seen. Instead of Delcatty/Magneton, he just used Claydol which is a lot more effective IMO. Anyway we both got set up pretty fast but I was able to get out the Dusknoir/Crystal Beach and they both really hurt him. After I KOed a Feraligatr and shuffled one in he was left with a Pachirisu and 3 Claydols. He wasn’t aware of what Dusknoir did exactly so he layed down another Feraligatr..which I just shuffled in the following turn. Anyway I poisoned Pachirisu with Kakuna(BTW spit poison makes it so any pokemon 50/70 HP will be KOed when it comes to my turn, amazingly good with Dusknoir) and so we sat there for several turns until Pachirisu was KOed coming to my turn. Then I KOed the Claydol and it just went all downhill for him after that.

Round 4: BF with Magmortar
Well basically he prized 2 Delcatty, I got to shuffle in his Magmortar with all the energy, and he didn’t draw anything so I won. He insists I would have lost if neither of those things happen, which I completely disagree with, but considering I love him, I won’t argue =)

Round 5: GG w/ Absol and no techs
I was a little worried because she used Absol but she opened with no energy and I RCed to Claydol my first turn and got set up really fast. It took her a while to get set up and we traded prizes for a little bit but I got my Crystal Beach locked and she couldn’t recover from my early set up and then no special energies.

Round 6: Magnezone/Gyarados
This is the ONE game I did not prize either a Weedle or Beedrill, so I was able to do 120 to wipe away his Gyarados’s and then I 2 shot his loaded Magnezone. Crystal Beach really stopped him from recovering as well. Kind of a boring game, but I love Carlos =)

Round 7. Blissey/Garchomp
Lol this was a very funny game. He opened with Chansey active and a Benched Gible and I opened with Baltoy. He attached/passed and I laid down a Weedle, attached to Baltoy, played a Beach and drew a card or 2. He evoed to Blissey/Garchomp, he then laid down a Cess and attached a Boost, which emptied his hand mind you, and did 40. I attached and RCed to Beedrill and did 50 and switched for Beedrill. He drew and attacked for 30, I retreated and did 50 and switched. He drew, laid down Gible and did 30. I attached to Beedrill evoed to Claydol and did 30. He never drew anything and I got set up with my Claydol and went right through his Gibles/Garchomp.

So I’m the only undefeated. Yay for Points! So Top 16 is announced and we have our Dinner Break. We started top cut at about 8 oclock.

Top 16: GG w/Furret/Cresselia/Feraligtar
Game 1: He only played one counter stadium so Crystal Beach really hurt him, as did Dusknoir. I believe we both got set up and we exchanged prizes for a few turns On the last turn I warppointed his active Gardevoir LV X with all the energy and swept it up with Dusknoir leaving him with energyless Pokemon and no Gardevoir, he scooped after that.
Game 2: We had about 35 minutes left in the round and it started out the same as the other game, with us both getting set up. Basically GG has few outs against this deck and in the end, Beedrill should always win unless there is major donkage. Time is called so I win automatically.

Top 8: GG w/Pachirisu/Dusknoir
I’m a little bit worried about Dusknoir but oh well.
Game 1: I don’t remember a lot about this game, but I kill an early Dusknoir due to forcing him to switch it out with WP, which allows me time to set up and then after this I have a Pachirisu KOed coming to my turn. Along with Crystal Beach this wasn’t much of a matchup at all and I won relatively easy with 30 minutes left in the round.
Game 2: He gets a better set up while mine is just as good as ever. He takes a different approach to this game and locks my Claydol with Psychic Lock, which really really slowed me down. I was already relatively set up when this happened so the lock wasn’t TOO hard on the deck. Anyway after the lock was broken I was able to get more Beedrills up and time was called so I won.

Top 4: GG w/Spinda as a starter lolls
I didn’t see anything else but Spindas and Gardevoir/Gallade, so there may have been more.
Game 1: I don’t really remember but Crystal Beach lock and nice set up won this easily.
Game 2: Pretty much the same thing. I won with about 30 minutes left to spare.

Oh dear, I’m guaranteed money!!! Yay!!

Top 2: Arithmetic
All these games are pretty bad, but I’m positive Beedrill SHOULD win 90% of the time.
Game 1: Only donk of the day, I open with Duskull and find that I prized 2 Baltoy/1 Weedle, he wins within 5 minutes?
Game 2: Well, kinda the opposite. I still open with Duskull thou -_- I get set up really fast and he doesn’t, and I win probably within 5 minutes as well.
Game 3: Pretty much the same as Game 2 except he gets a LIL better set up. Anyway I just do 60, 60, 90 etc. and win easily.

Well, I win 11-0… with Beedrill lol. It’s a lil after 11, and after 16 games I’m extremely tired and say fast goodbyes then leave.

Props:
•Vince and the staff for putting on such an amazing event, probably the best I’ve ever attended. Greeeeeeeat job!!
•Jake, Bells Bells, Rachel, Riq and everyone else on helping me playtest!! And thanks to BandB Games for supporting such a fun and competitive atmosphere for this game.
•Carlos for carrying and then stealing my binders, I do love you
•Nathan <3
•Meta Knight
•Kakuna, the best Stage 1 that evolves! I couldn’t have won without your Stiffening self!
•Rock-Paper-Scissor cards!
•Gaining over 160 points and becoming 3rd in North America!

Slops:
•Not so good franchises of Hibachi San
•Weedles and Beedrills whom insist upon hiding in the prizes.
•Getting sick after the event.

Thanks for reading and I can’t wait to see everyone at Nationals!!!

~Colin

Last edited:
Dude it would have been awesome to see 2 Beedrills in top cut...then people would actually think it's legit lol it's a great deck tho and you did really well with it, so gratz.

WOW! BEEDRILL! That is AMAZING I cannot believe someone went 11-0 on that. I'm sure my mom would love to have that list to play.

Excellent! That was great! I am going to consider Beedrill also. Good choices for backup with Claydol and Dusknoir.

Colin 2 nights before the tournament "Sorry but the top two decks are just too good, rogue cant stand up". Thanks for proving yourself wrong. Best rogue player in the country.

yes, a rogue deck won regionals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't wait to see the contries best rogue player at nats.

You had an awesome day there Colin. I was your third match and you're correct, I didn't have any idea what Dusknoir would do even though I was warned of it. I wanted a rematch so badly but I had to settle for just top 8 which was way beyond my wildest dreams. In only my 4th tournament, I rose 2,641 spots in the rankings.

Rick

I LOVE U COLIN....you see, you didn't need me to massage you to win:p

You know I would of beaten you if it werent for the delcatty's prized....but Karma FTL!:p

By the way, I could of sworn it was the 5th round I played you. I went 4-0 then you beat me.
I did say though, "if you beat me, you will X-O..." you did

On a side note.....Great Job Kason(my wife) You are tearing it up dawg...

~Nathan

4x Weedle
4x Kakuna
4x Beedrill
2x Baltoy
2x Claydol
1x Duskull
1x Dusknoir

Colin I don't understand,how does this win it doesn't have Gardevoir or Gallade in it.

JK Colin, Congrats

Wow nice job with Beedrill. Though I think it also helps that you didn't face very many decks with Magmortar, although you did run into Ho-oh.

Back