Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kecleon Ruling Error

Mr. Grass

Okay, found this in the Compendium and think it's in error.

Q. If the Energy on Kecleon is altered in some way, does Kecleon look at the original energy card or what it's been changed into? For example, if you somehow changed Fire to Darkness, would Kecleon be a Darkness-type PokÈmon instead of a Fire-type?
A. Kecleon looks at what the Energy card has been changed into. (Sep 26, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Because of this old ruling:

Q. If I have 3 Porygon2 on my bench and an active Ho-Oh with 4 Grass energy attached, how much damage can Ho-Oh do if I use Energy Conversion to change the types of 3 of the Grass energies? No additional damage?!
A. Correct, no additional damage. The Ho-Oh only does 10 more for each type of Basic Energy card. A basic Energy card whose type is changed still counts as the original basic Energy card....and the new type's Energy. So a Grass Energy card on Ho-oh is a Grass Basic Energy card if it is changed to provide fire it is still a Grass Basic Energy card. It would count as a Fire Energy card, but not a Basic Fire Energy card. Clear? You have to understand that you NEVER change what a card really is. You can change what it provides and what it can count as. Ho-oh is the only card that I know that requires different BASIC ENERGY card on it. [NOTE: Porygon2's power says "treat that energy card as that type", not "treat it as that Basic Energy card".] (Dec 5, 2002 WotC Chat, Q52 & Q61 & Q65 & Q67 & Q74)

What do you think?

Back