Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

KG's 2nd Place Bellossom Report

KingGengar

I decide to play my Psychedelic Triffids deck even though Matt said I should play Ampharos.

Get there early, in fact 1st in line. Amazing...

ROUND 1 Chelsea with Eeveelutions
She never even had a chance to get started as I had T2 Bellossoms and Poison going. 1-0

ROUND 2 Ben with Luxray GL +
It was a pretty good game but he had Luxray lv.X and Uxie Lv.X prized. After a while, I had the upper hand, so the early tight game turned into a very loose ending. 2-0

LUNCH - Cookies!

ROUND 3 Zach with Luxray/Infernape SP
Pretty much auto-loss unless he can't get started. But he does. I took 2 prizes somehow, but it was a massacre at the flower store. 2-1

ROUND 4 (can't remember name) with Water/Flygon
Another game where the opponent couldn't set up and I could. Not much to say except that Flygon was killed in 1 turn with 100+Burn. 3-1

ROUND 5 Angie with Octillery/Floatzel ( I LOVE this deck!)
She takes the early prize as I start with Sableye and get to Impersonate once or Twice. I set up pretty well after that and continue to take prizes turn after turn. She did hit for 100 two or three times, but to a clean Bellossom that is not a KO. Great deck, nice player. Thank you! 4-1

TOP CUT :)

ROUND 6 Brian L with Luxray GL+

GAME 1 This was a MONSTER game lasting maybe 40 minutes. I took over early, even though Treecko was prized, but he managed to stage an excellent comeback and get 2 Bellossoms on 1 turn, bringing us to 1 Prize each. He had Luxray out and I had 1 Bellossom with 1 Energy on it. I get the last Energy in my deck and attach. I use Blend Pollen and MUST hit heads on Burn or lose. I HIT the heads. Now, Brian has to flip tails or I lose anyway. Tense. He flips tails. I win 1-0.

GAME 2 Not so tense. Treecko prized again! He sets up very well, never really lets me set anything up, and stops me multiple times with Power Spray. I scoop. 1-1

GAME 3 Another good game. I choose to go first and use Call Energy (and Treecko is prized!!). He sets up very well and it's not going so well for me, but then I get set up miraculously and we end up tied I think 3 prizes each. Then Brian's deck began to let him down, and I basically rolled to the end. 5-1 Thanks man for the great games.

ROUND 7 Zach! Argh!

He had played against Giratina/Gardy in the semis, and I was hoping to face that deck. Not that Zach is a bad guy, he's cool. But why would I want to face Ape 4? Giratina/Gallade is INFINITELY easier for me. I had a Monster Loco Moca or whatever and I was almost tripping on the caffeine, so the entire match was laughter with Jeff threatening (jokingly) to give us both a game loss. It was hilarious. Especially since I had almost no chance to win against Ape 4/Lucario GL combo. I could only hope he had multiple necessities prized or drew dead.

GAME 1 I make an OK start. Not great. And that's the difference as he uses Luxray to bring up Oddishes I'm trying to build and killing them with Infernape. Or else my Claydol. He also has Dialga G Lv.X out to stop Sceptile. Either way, I joke all the way to the morgue. 0-1

GAME 2 OK, same scenario, except with a small glitch. Zach again gets the start he needs and takes 5 prizes to my 1. I have a Bellossom set up and he has a hurting Ape. If I can KO it, I might have SOME kind of chance with rotating Bellossoms. I use Looker's and see his hand and say "whatevah" and begin to shuffle my hand back in. I look over and Zach is shuffling HIS hand in also! I say, "What are you doing?" Zach is shellshocked as are the judges. I say, half-excited and half-disappointed, "Is that a game loss?" Jeff tells me it's not but it is multiple-prize penalty, so I take 3 Prizes and Zach loses his hand. Now it's 5 prizes to 4 prizes. If I can get Sceptile out (Treecko not prized for a change and on the bench) and another Bellossom (Oddish on the Bench), I might have a chance. However, after all my finagling, all I can do is hit for 30 to his fully-charged. It would have been a cheap win for me anyway. 0-2

So, I learn what works and what doesn't and that Ape is something to be aware of if I intend to go Bellossom to Nats (still a chance). Maybe Kingdra tech? LOL Or Machamp tech? But then I lose Sceptile.

PROPS: Jeff and family for yet another great time
Above Board Games for being great hosts
all the great Poke-people

SLOPS: nothing much! I played well and took my auto-loss

Back