Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

KingGengar (not so) at Nats

KingGengar

I'm going to cut right to the chase: my Nats Swiss was a disaster.

I decided, with a few other people I know, to play GG/Weavile for Power Lock and Gallade, with Dark vs. Gengar. My other two choices were Machamp and Lux/Ape. I didn't choose Machamp because it wasn't testing well against Beedrill, and I thought I would see a lot of Bee. I didn't choose Lux/Ape but I had the deck and I had tested it and it was great - I was beating Dialga pretty easily - I just wasn't fully comfortable with it yet.

Round 1: vs. Gengar. He opened Abra, I opened Sableye. He mulligans and I go first. Two cards, no Dark Energy. He has the god hand and sets up 2 Claydol and Gengar on T1. Still, it was close, and I lost by a prize.

Round 2: vs. Lux/Ape. I get a horrible start and lose badly.

Round 3: vs. Roselia GL. You wouldn't believe how many fits this can give you. I was ahead 3 prizes and he came back with that crazy Roselia snipe and roped me three times. I had him at the end but misplayed my Teleportation. So I lose again by 1 prize.

Round 4: vs. Gengar. Todd is a good guy but he had lost his confidence and I beat him rather easily.

Round 5: vs. Kingdra. A very good game. Gardy PT was in play most of the time and I made a great comeback at the end, but lost by a turn and 1 prize AGAIN.

So, I drop with 1-4.

I decided to volunteer and did so with the pick-up tournaments, running them for 4 hours til closing.

Sunday, I entered the modified tourney with my Ape/Lux and went 3-2 against 4 Ape/Lux and Lux/Manectric, very nearly going 5-0. I came in 16th and received some packs.

All told, in my packs, I got Luxray Lv.X, Snorlax X, Mismagius X, 2 Rotom, and Flying Pikachu, so not bad for being so lame this time around.

We had a great hotel experience at the Renaissance also.

It was good to see my friends, and to root for them as they made their way. Congrats especially to Javier for 6-2 and top cut with Honch/Cro (it *is* a deck!). Also to Nick for his 5-3 Luxray finish, Kevin for his 5-3 GG finish, and Alex for being 65th (sorry dude!).

Thanks to all for your help, your cards I borrowed, and your friendship, esp. Prime for all the time he spent deck-testing with me, and for being a great traveling partner.

I'd say the most fun I had was running the pick-up tournaments, but everything was pretty cool... except for losing, of course... and also a thumbs-down for having only 1 Pokemon vendor in the entire building. Otherwise, it was a great venue, weather notwithstanding.

Over and out. See y'all next season. Tom

Hey I played ya R1 lol. You drug out the attachment so long I thought you had the Dark Energy FTKO @_@ I was never more nervous this entire season. Was a GG though, sorry the rest of the tournament didn't go as well. Hope to see you next year :) Glad to meetcha!

I went 7-1 losing my last round of Swiss against Roberto (Lozarbr). Won my match in T128 but lost on time in T64 =/

Back