Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lack of Diversity in Nats & Worlds Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ness

One of my favorite things about the Pokémon TCG is it allowed me opportunities to see new cities that I had not ever been to. Over the last few years, though, we've seen not just a repeat in the same cities, but the same exact locations for Nationals and Worlds.

Don't get me wrong - a lot of these places are beautiful. I love Hawaii, and I think Indianapolis is a great area to host U.S. Nationals. But does anyone else miss the diversity? 2012 will be the third time the Pokémon World Championships were hosted in Hawaii. (2007, 2010, 2012.) One aspect of Hawaii that makes it less fun is that it is an expensive trip for just about anyone to fly to - even mainland US residents, and the tournament ends up having a smaller crowd than other Worlds tournaments. Half the fun at Worlds (at least to me) is seeing all your Pokémon friends!

Does anyone else miss the diversity? Or is it worth missing to have a place we know has worked in the past?

I'm fine with where Nationals is, they held Nationals in Origins for the longest time, and that seemed to be just fine.

Worlds, however, I'm growing tired of seeing it get put in Hawaii, mostly because of how hard it is to afford. With the lack of trips to Hawaii, it's hard on just about anyone to actually go out there, and there's plenty of other places that they could choose for Worlds. I'd personally love to see it put in Seattle like they did in 2002, or somewhere like Toronto even.

my guess why they put it in Hawaii is to close the long gap between continents, its Hawaii is like equal distance from U.S. and Japan.

But I think its a terrible location to.

PUSA needs to provide transport and cost and should pay for people who qualify for Worlds.

I'll disagree with you on Nationals location; yes, variety is nice but the location is so good it should just stay there. I think the stability in that regard is a good thing.

However, Worlds does need to move around more. Or at least, should stop being in Hawaii. I would love to see it in Seattle, somewhere in the Midwest, somewhere on the East Coast, ect. Would be nice.

I know people are going to say "what about Europe?" The truth is, I'd hate it to be in Europe, as I'd never, EVER be able to go. Ever. But that's just me.

They should hold a Worlds tournament by region with the winner getting paid expense trips to the MAJOR WORLDS TOURNAMENT.

if you live on the east coast and want to go to Worlds, be a pain. most would never make it if they have to pay for it.

They should hold a Worlds tournament by region with the winner getting paid expense trips to the MAJOR WORLDS TOURNAMENT.

if you live on the east coast and want to go to Worlds, be a pain. most would never make it if they have to pay for it.

Isn't that kinda the point of Nationals?

Anyway I've brought this subject up before to my PTO and the thing that I've come to understand is that Indianapolis is a good easy location to get to, and doesn't favor one coast over the other.

As for Worlds the reason we see it on the West coast is mainly due to Japan. It's a smaller distance, and it isn't a bad place to stay for an extended vacation. Then San Diego has a large player base, and again doesn't cost Japanese players as much. I'll admit I'd like to see more places then just San Diego, but Pokemon has a couple balancing acts it has to maintain.

Isn't that kinda the point of Nationals?

Anyway I've brought this subject up before to my PTO and the thing that I've come to understand is that Indianapolis is a good easy location to get to, and doesn't favor one coast over the other.

As for Worlds the reason we see it on the West coast is mainly due to Japan. It's a smaller distance, and it isn't a bad place to stay for an extended vacation. Then San Diego has a large player base, and again doesn't cost Japanese players as much. I'll admit I'd like to see more places then just San Diego, but Pokemon has a couple balancing acts it has to maintain.

But Nationals can be hard to get to sometimes as well.

Its just the fact that so little money is used to compete in the TCG until you need wads of it for Nationals and Worlds.

Not long ago I actually did some math (thanks Google Earth :wink:), and it turns out that in terms of linear distance it's about as far from London to San Diego as it is from Tokyo to San Diego,so it comes down to balancing out Hawaii, which is more convenient for the Japanese (assuming they don't need to go to the West coast anyway to get a flight there), and less convenient for just about everyone else.

something to consider: is TPCi booking the worlds venue in order to 'wow!' a first-time worlds participant, or to satisfy the desires of a repeat attendee to not be 'bored' by 'another' trip to hawaii?

'mom

^Why can't both purposes hold true? Logistical issues aside (whole other topic), I would imagine you'd satisfy both groups to place Worlds in Australia, Canada, France, or Greece...

(Well, maybe not that last one right now. >_>)

Besides, even within Hawaii you could mix it up a little more, and visit O'ahu once in a while. (Not to mention make it cheaper for visitors, since Waikaloa Village is about as expensive as you get!)

something to consider: is TPCi booking the worlds venue in order to 'wow!' a first-time worlds participant, or to satisfy the desires of a repeat attendee to not be 'bored' by 'another' trip to hawaii?

'mom

It'd be interesting to know what the turnover rate is for new versus repeat attendees. Of course, the location has an affect on that as well-one could argue that not having worlds in a greater variety of places actually hurts the ability to achieve that wow factor.

I do like the thought of new cities/locales for Worlds. Nats is just so natural in Indy though...I think that city is just meant to host conventions and it is fairly centrally located in the US.

Keith

'mom

Well, can't we do both? I doubt there's only three places (Florida, California & Hawaii) that will wow people. I do think the U.S. is the best country to hold Worlds in for several reasons:

1. The U.S. has the largest player base in the world.
  2. English is so widely-spoken around the world.
  3. Many players (and people in general) have at least a modest understanding of our money & culture.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Worlds outside of the U.S., but I do think most of them should occur in the U.S.

And the U.S. has plenty of WOW locations that have nothing to do with the tropics or beaches. Nothing wrong with diversity.

That raises an interesting point, though: there's a desire to have more diversity in locations, but at what point should it stop? Are we really achieving the diversity angle if we keep Worlds here all, or even a majority of the time?

I won't be going to any European or Asian Worlds anytime soon, but still, it'd do a lot of good from a marketing perspective to eventually take it out of the U.S., and perhaps make that a more frequent thing to do.

I LOVE the Pokemon TCG! It's brilliant!

Is anyone else kinda bored of seeing posts complaining about every aspect of the game, both in terms of organisation and play?

Can't we just get back to enjoying the game? :D

I LOVE the Pokemon TCG! It's brilliant!

Is anyone else kinda bored of seeing posts complaining about every aspect of the game, both in terms of organisation and play?

Can't we just get back to enjoying the game? :D

The people that love it even more than you do are always seeking ways to improve it and make it more fun. A lot things you may enjoy about the Pokemon TCG were at one point nothing more than an idea. Are you older than 15 or do you plan to still play Pokémon when you are 15? If so, did you know there was a time when 15+ year olds lost all their organized play? It was only restored after players joined together and demanded it be returned.

There's a difference between pointless complaining and a healthy discussion of new ideas and constructive criticism. As PokePop wrote in another thread, if it bores you, don't read it.

Back to the topic. Let's get constructive: What cities would you like to visit for Worlds or Nationals?

Though it wouldn't be new to me, I'd love to see Nationals or Worlds in Chicago. And what about New York City?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back