Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Latias ex d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb

ok this was asked in another thread and we got a few different answers from a few different professors so I was wandering if we could clarify it here.

Original question:

RRC 90
Discard RR if you knockout the defending pokemon.

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=18272
--------------------------

Togetic's Copy attack allows you to ignore the RRC energy cost. But not requirements. Is the discard a requirement? It looks like it is an effect. Which would mean that I can copy Power Crush without needing RR energy on togetic.

On the other hand if it is a requirement then I would only need to have RR energy on Togetic if I knock out the defending pokemon. There being no requirement to discard if I don't knock out the defending pokemon. But I'm unhappy with a requirement that sometimes is required and sometimes isn't. I can copy the attack as long as I don't knock out the defending pokemon.

Should I read all cards that say "Discard X" anywhere in their attacks as though the additional sentance 'You must have X attached to this pokemon to use this attack' was also on the card.

My opinion:

Ok thats look at the card again

[RRC] Power Crush 90
If the defending pokemon is knocked out by this attack, discard 2 [R] Energy attached to Latias ex.

ok since it says "IF the defending pokemon is knocked out discard 2 [R] energy" The 'IF' means you make the check after applying the damage. So your not very well going to have to remove the damage if you don't meet that requirement. I think if you don't meet it you just don't discard simple as that. Also note it doesn't say "remove the damage if you don't meet the requirements" and it doesn't say "if you don't meet the requirements you can't use this attack" and if it did say "you can't use the attack if you don't meet these requirements" that wouldn't make any sense because the check is preformed AFTER the damage is given. On the other hand though this might fall under the "common knowledge" category to where it's "common knowledge" that you don't have any [R] so you just can't use the attack period. This means that you couldn't use it at all because you couldn't meet the requirements IF you happened to have to discard. This is both sides of the story which ever the professors agree on the could basically choose. Really this isn't anywhere in my jurisdiction to judge because well I'm not a professor but I just wanted to give my opinion.

I hope we can get all the professors to agree here. :)

I'm not sure what the question is - posting blocks of text without links to context makes it difficult.

If the question is: I want to use a 'copy' attack, and then copy an attack that tells me to discard 2 Fire Energy from my Pokemon. Do I have to discard 2 Fire Energy to use the attack?

Yes. If a card says "necessary" or "required" - you'd need to. If the attack says you must discard "all Fire Energy", then all implies that you have at least 1 to discard. (If you copy an attack, and meet the discard requirements, the attack does nothing.)

If I didn't answer your question, please try phrasing it as question with card references.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back