Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

LC in Extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunnyBear

Who has actually run a league challenge in extended?
How was attendance?
What kind of decks showed up?
What sort of decks did well?

I ran a double LC event a few months back, first was standard second was extended.
Don't think people changed their decks much in that mostly slight changes to trainer line (ie yveltal ex in extended adds dark patch).
One thing I found interesting is several players swapped decks with friend/family member for the second event since standard decks are still legal in extended.
Attendance wise I think about half stayed for the second event though that may be partly cause it started late and people get tired/hungry (even with a break between events)

It doesn't help that right now there's no incentive to play extended. If there were even some higher tournaments that were extended then I think players would play extended more seriously.

Players should play extended now unless they don't have plans of making or playing in top cut. Day 2 at Fall Regionals in Fort Wayne is extended. More work for the staff cause of deck checks but definitely interesting.

Regionals are in February. Day 2/Top Cuts are expanded format. That's not an incentive?

It's the midst of Cities. Almost every player concerned about playing Top Cut at a Regional is far more concerned about that. Extended is little more than Standard with a few trainers added in, so it's not a major concern to most of those players at this time.

I know many players that would avoid some of the Expanded Cities that have been held. It's just too much time and effort to do both at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Extended is little more than Standard with a few trainers added in, so it's not a major concern to most of those players at this time.

This was kind of the crux of my inquiry. Are people so overwhelmed with Standard that they have no creative energy for Extended? When you consider some of the highly creative decks we've seen in Cities, it would be disappointing if all Extended meant was putting a few Dark Patches in Yveltal.

This was kind of the crux of my inquiry. Are people so overwhelmed with Standard that they have no creative energy for Extended? When you consider some of the highly creative decks we've seen in Cities, it would be disappointing if all Extended meant was putting a few Dark Patches in Yveltal.

That's my evaluation. There's definitely some interesting concepts unique to expanded, but there just isn't enough time in the day to test all of Standard and those concepts on top. It's easier to put Skyarrow back into Virizion/Patch into Yveltal and know you've got a decent shot at beating anything.

Expanded only matters if you get to Day 2. Thus, most of a player's time is going to be dedicated to Standard. The fact that Worlds is all Standard (when, in actuality, it'd be an ideal time to do Expanded because Japan plays BW-on all year) makes me think OP is aware of this, but we'll see what happens for next year

Personally, I believe Expanded would've been far more important if they'd picked a major event series (Cities, States, Regionals) and made it 100% Expanded—100% of the playerbase's focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem with Expanded is that it runs with Standard. There is no reason to change the format mid season or tournament. There should either be a year where they swap off Standard and Expanded, i.e one year is standard and the next year is Expanded, this was players know the format or they can run both Standard and Extended together. One week of cities is Standard and the other Extended.

Just seems like a waste to me since people will just add add patches to dark decks. I'm all for expanding the format but I would like to see Black and White die off...

My problem with Expanded is that it runs with Standard. There is no reason to change the format mid season or tournament. There should either be a year where they swap off Standard and Expanded, i.e one year is standard and the next year is Expanded, this was players know the format or they can run both Standard and Extended together. One week of cities is Standard and the other Extended.

Just seems like a waste to me since people will just add add patches to dark decks. I'm all for expanding the format but I would like to see Black and White die off...

The problem with expanded is that I think it is a little too early, or that the set cutoff is too new. It would make more sense if expanded was Ruby & Sapphire onwards, or Diamond & Pearl onwards.

At least with MTG, the modern format, which is what the expanded format here is, started in 2011, and the oldest legal set was 8th edition, released in 2003. Before that, they had something called extended, which doubled the amount of legal sets compared to standard.

Expanded here may seem redundant, but come 10 or so years later, you will have one format with 9 or so sets, and one format with over 40 sets legal.

The problem with expanded is that I think it is a little too early, or that the set cutoff is too new. It would make more sense if expanded was Ruby & Sapphire onwards, or Diamond & Pearl onwards.

At least with MTG, the modern format, which is what the expanded format here is, started in 2011, and the oldest legal set was 8th edition, released in 2003. Before that, they had something called extended, which doubled the amount of legal sets compared to standard.

Expanded here may seem redundant, but come 10 or so years later, you will have one format with 9 or so sets, and one format with over 40 sets legal.

I wouldn't mind RS on for extended, though Poke Powers and Poke Bodies would unbalance things. Cards also tend to be more broken in Pokemon because of the the free to play cost thing.

I wouldn't mind them doing a blast from the past set(s) where the completely reprint sets but rebalanced for the XY meta. I really want my Legendary Accent Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres ex back.

I wouldn't mind RS on for extended, though Poke Powers and Poke Bodies would unbalance things. Cards also tend to be more broken in Pokemon because of the the free to play cost thing.

I wouldn't mind them doing a blast from the past set(s) where the completely reprint sets but rebalanced for the XY meta. I really want my Legendary Accent Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres ex back.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a annual or biannual reprint side set that isn't part of the main 4 booster sets released per year. The reprint sets could contain reprints from Black and White onwards, or reprints from before Black and White that deserve to be in the format, but couldn't end up in a main set because Japan didn't feel like printing that card.

Had a prerelease / EXPANDED League Challenge combo platter today.

50 for prerelease
43 for League Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back