Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

LCQ Issues

JandPDS

Now that they have turned the LCQ into the largest top cut in History (Congratulations, you have registered for the tourney and you have now made the top cut)

I see there may be some unforeseen issues, namely it think it will be next to impossible for there to only be 8 players allowed into worlds. Unless the math works out to a perfect 8 there will most lieu be 9-15 players who will get into worlds thought the LCQ.

There will not me any tiebreakers scores to use so no way to take the top 8. Each round everyone will be playing someone with the exact same record so everyone’s tiebreaker will be exactly the same.

If an age group started with 200 players in Rd 1 there would be 100 in Rd 2. Then 50 in Rd 3. Now things get fun there will be 25 in Rd 4. So 24 players will have to play an elimination Rd. While one lucky player gets a free pass into Rd 5. So in Rd 5 we have 12 players who survived + the one buy players and 13. So I assume this will be were they will stop and 13 players will get into worlds.

Of course it is very unlikely that there will be a round number to start. More then likely it will be a number like 541 players. So 540 players play in Rd 1 while 1 player receives a free pass into R2. Then we have 270 winners + the buy player for 271 in Rd 2. Where 270 players play and one player gets a free pass into R3. Where we will have 185 winners + 1 buy player for 186 players and no buys in Rd 3. Rd 4 will have 93 winners. So we will have 92 players playing while 1 player gets the bye and a free pass into the next round. Rd 5 Will have the 46 winners + the buy player so 47 players. again one player will get the buy and a free pass into the next round. Then in R6 we will have the 23 winners + the 1 buy player so 24 players in Rd 7 and that will get us to the final 12. So 12 players will make it to worlds.

I do not see anyway it can be just 8 players getting into Worlds trough the LCQ unless they take the final 9-15 and make them draw straws to see who gets the 8 spots into the main event.

Last edited:
So what if they let 9-15 players into Worlds? You're saying it like it's a bad thing that they might have more invites from the Grinder.

The numbers haven't always been exact. Take a look at last year, there were two flights of Masters, and at the start of the day, it was announced that 6 players from each flight would make it into Worlds. Then the result came in, and each flight had 1 X-0 and 7 X-1's, so they made a change and let 8 from each flight into Worlds.

I also heard a story that one year the Grinder had a small amount of Junior players, so an announcement was made that every Junior player in the Grinder would be allowed to play in Worlds.

I don't see what the problem is with giving away more invites?

After thinking, that may sound like a nice question to ask P!P. The worst thing that came to mind though is that they might cap the event to prevent random odd numbers in single elimination. Hopefully they don't cap it though.

Byes are given in the first round to make the next round have the correct number of players to be a factor of 2

Getting a bye round 1 is a pretty big advantage, but I guess that's the only choice they have.
It would be, but...
I heard the cap will be 512 for Masters, 256 for Seniors and Juniors.

:)
If this is what is being done, then that solves that issue.
We'll definitely hit that cap.
We had about 800 in Masters LCQ at the last CA Worlds.
Make sure to register early!

Sounds to me like a 512 cap = 6 rounds.

If there truly is a 512 cap, then there should be some kind of firm line control (no "saving places") because there will be a lot of people arriving late and looking for friends already in line, trying to bust ahead of other people who have been waiting a long time.

Is there any preregistration for LCQ? I don't recall there being one at the last Cali Worlds, maybe they'll have it this year? Hopefully we can go early and register on the 11th before the endless playtesting in the lobby.
Posted with Mobile style...

There will be byes in latter rounds as well. Some parents in Masters will drop once their children are eliminated.

Last edited:
Please don't cap at 512, 256 and 256. That is just CRUEL. I'd rather have the byes take it to a power of 2, and I'm sure I'm not alone here. While byes would be very unfair, turning away 300+ people would be worse.

Also, SD grinder will be HUGE. They should give away as many invites as possible. Any worlds players wanting to keep it "exclusive" are just being arrogant and elitist. 16 grinder spots per division would be great.

Overall, a single elimination grinder is just a bad idea. I understand that it'll be easier on the judges, but it'll be harder on everyone else. It makes the whole thing a lot more stressful, makes ranking among those of like records (resistance) impossible, either inflates byes or requires that they cap at a power of 2. It's just a bad idea.

I really don't know what you are complain about and here is why.

First off, the past few years they have split the grinder in Masters in two and have given out 6 per pod.

Second, P!P has given the us every indication that they make the best decisions for not only the event, but the players. If we have two pods in Masters of 256, and we run 5 rounds and have 8 players in each pod left, they will give us invites. I don't see them saying, nope sorry we aren't going to give out 2 extra invites on the point of having 2 players who should get invites lose them.

Third, if they DO decided to do that, I'm sure they will randomly select the players to play in the last round, or 6th round, but I expect that won't be the case.

Fourth, Japan had NO Worlds qualifier this year. That means their 8 invites are non-existent. They will most likely be thrown into the Grinder, and that doesn't include any player who DOESN'T show up.

Just expect that you have to win 5 best two out of threes to make it in. That's what I'm doing and what most people I have talked to are doing. It's what you should expect to do as well. If you have to play 6, oh well, it's not that big of a deal to be honest.

Drew

where is this 'cap' number coming from, as i don't see it on the LCQ FAQ page?

'mom

Thanks. I passed on the 512, 256, 256 note although I don't see it either. Bad me.

Here is what it says that people have to be aware of: "Players arriving for registration after 10:00 a.m. will be denied entry to the event."

In a single elimination format, there is no sense in allowing people to register late with a first round loss. A first round loss is an LCQ, so please be on time - or early.

Does anyone know if a League Zone will be open on Friday afternoon? It would be nice if all those players who were eliminated from the grinder had something to do for the rest of the day (besides cry :wink:).

You honestly think P!P hasn't thought about this when they made their decision? I think you really underestimate them and just have some very sour grapes over a decision they made that did not please you. I'm sure they'll know how to deal with this issue from the beginning.

Back