Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

League Leader thoughts, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cook

Team Cook Dad here. What are your thoughts on league leaders not informing their players on major events? As ignorant as it sounds, it's happening. I'm not going to sit here and go into details or name names, but I know for a fact it's happening, and I'm fuming over it. I myself, tell our players about every tournament I know of in the state of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisana. I know 98% of our players won't travel far for tournaments, but I let them know anyway. I feel it's my responsibility to inform them.

Is it that they just haven't thought about doing it, or they purposely don't want them to know about them?

Not questioning you PokePop, but how can a league leader not "think" about it? You would think that if a major event is only an hour away, they would let them know. I will tell you though, i know it was done on purpose. The more I think about it, the madder I get. Please keep in mind, I'm not mad because their players didn't come to the tournament. I'm mad because the players weren't informed about the tournament. I'm mad because the players were not allowed to make their own decision to attend or not. My wife got a hold of some of the players addresses (no help from the league leaders, I might add) and sent fliers out . This really helped and some of the players made it to the tournament. I gotta tell you, I'm sooooo mad right know. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone isn't really up for promoting and supporting Pokemon. I would think POP would look down upon someone not promoting events, especially with them made easier to attend this season (more cities & no admission fees).

With us, our league is very new and still growing. Recently there was 2 pre-releases an hour away. Now we really weren't sure of how much our getting back into the game players would travel, but we got the word out. I am very happy to say that 2 of our players made the 1hr trip to both pre-releases.

Who wouldn't love to see the game grow and see the knowledge and expierience their players are getting from expanding their game.

To me, for someone who does this on purpose would only be doing it in hopes of self victory or basically run a league for the materials.

Last edited:
Team Cook said:
Team Cook Dad here. What are your thoughts on league leaders not informing their players on major events? As ignorant as it sounds, it's happening. I'm not going to sit here and go into details or name names, but I know for a fact it's happening, and I'm fuming over it. I myself, tell our players about every tournament I know of in the state of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisana. I know 98% of our players won't travel far for tournaments, but I let them know anyway. I feel it's my responsibility to inform them.

I think its absolutely crazy that a league leader wouldnt spread the word for a big event thats coming up........Who wouldnt want to get as many players to an event as possible...like ive always said "the more the better".......The experiance of playing in a big is always better for players the moer that come to the event...I know it definitely is for me.....I never grow old of having lots of ppl at them.....

I think Mewsmom is correct...they are running it jus for themselves to get the materials and glory of being in a position of power.....

I also think that if they are not helping the game....and thet they should be removed from being a professor/TO.....because they are not doing what is in the best interest of the game.

JMO

TTYL
~Clay~

Last edited:
Team Cook said:
Not questioning you PokePop, but how can a league leader not "think" about it?
Believe me, I'm not trying to excuse it.
Just trying to determine how "bad" it was; ignorance or malice.

One of the things I always ask for when a new player signs up for League is an email address for just this situation; I'll email the premier event info and the link to the PTOs site and POP official site as soon as an event is announced. I try to have half-sheet flyers available at league, too...

Sounds like something you should make POP aware of, if you think this was done on purpose....=/

'mom

Hi ho dere, M45 here with the latest breaking comments on this subject.

I think that there may be some "territory issues" going on in several places around the country.

There are PTOs who are running events that are the hometowns of other PTOs (OK, not in TX, mind you, but in other parts of the country).

For the hometown PTO to promote the "other" PTO's event could really be a bitter pill to swallow.

There is more than enough territory for all of us, and the only ones who end up getting hurt are the players.

Originally, I was taken aback when I blinked and there was not just me, but 4 PTOs running events within 2 hours of me in St. Louis! 3 in Missouri and 1 in Illinois (25 minutes away)

I luckily, have come to work closely with 2 of the PTOs, and it has been great for our area. We have had players coming back and forth to events, and it really has been a blessing.

I know there are TOs who feel that they are being ignored, stepped on, or disregarded in some decisions, and their personal feeling affect their promotion of the game throughout.

I will agree, in an ideal world, we would all heartily promote the events of those close to us...as many of us do.

Unfortunately, the world we are in, even the Pokemon World is far from ideal.

Just my thoughts....thanks for listening.

Vote - MeganiumEX for card #45!!!! (or even a Rare Meganium...just call it a "numbering error"!

M45

We have a great bunch of organizers in NoVA/DC/MD area who try to make sure the event info gets passed all around! Everybody wins when the word gets out to the players :thumb:.

I'm just wondering, what deos said person think that he/she has to gain from not promoting some events? Is it that their league #'s would drop for a week? If that's it, that's pretty pathetic!

Not to jump on sides here, but the people on this thread are not getting the whole story here. The leader in question has done more for this game than anyone else in the state, period. If not for him, there would BE NO POKEMON in the city of Houston. The game would have died three years ago. After all the financial trouble this individual has had, he still pays for gas to drive around the city, run THREE leagues and support a forth. He lends people cards, he gives people rides, he judges every tournament he can (aggrivating a foot condition that he can't afford surgery on) without even ONCE complaining that because he trys so hard to keep this game going that he doesn't have time to PLAY it anymore. After all this, he informs players about tournaments being held by others, gets many people to participate in them, and because of this that tournament has a few more entrys in it, so he is excluded from being a TO for major tournaments and someone else is given the job. He told myself, and all our regular players about the tournament in question. Some had to work, some didn't have a ride. He said "If you want to go, then go, but I will not support this tournament, because me supporting past ones has now been used against me."

Tell me, how would YOU feel?

Pokemaster1110 said:
Not to jump on sides here, but the people on this thread are not getting the whole story here. The leader in question has done more for this game than anyone else in the state, period. If not for him, there would BE NO POKEMON in the city of Houston. The game would have died three years ago. After all the financial trouble this individual has had, he still pays for gas to drive around the city, run THREE leagues and support a forth. He lends people cards, he gives people rides, he judges every tournament he can (aggrivating a foot condition that he can't afford surgery on) without even ONCE complaining that because he trys so hard to keep this game going that he doesn't have time to PLAY it anymore. After all this, he informs players about tournaments being held by others, gets many people to participate in them, and because of this that tournament has a few more entrys in it, so he is excluded from being a TO for major tournaments and someone else is given the job. He told myself, and all our regular players about the tournament in question. Some had to work, some didn't have a ride. He said "If you want to go, then go, but I will not support this tournament, because me supporting past ones has now been used against me."

Tell me, how would YOU feel?

If the leader you speak of has done such, then Team Cook wouldn't be so furious. As they stated no names were mentioned. So whose to say you 2 are speaking of the same leader.

We all gave our opinion on if a league leader was doing what Team Cook had posted about.

oooh, looks like Meganium came close to hitting it on the head...

vote Meganium, card #45 in the next set...

REMEMBER - YOUR VOTES COUNT!!!

M45

Territory is such a stupid concept. People have the right to have a league, hold a tournament, or whatever in any place they want. If you can't accept some friendly competition, then shut down and please leave. People need to support the other people out there instead of neglecting them. If your tournament or league is conflicting with another tournament or league, talk with the other league leaders or PTO's, and try to work something out that benefits the players. People become PTO's to hold tournaments and leagues for the players. How is neglecting other leagues and tournaments helping the players?

Pokemaster, that is still not the whole picture. There's a lot more to this... . What you have stated are your opinions, along with some misinformation.

The purpose of my original post was not to single out your "leader in question" or mention any names.

I was hoping to get some constructive responses, ideas, suggestions on how I could have handled the situation. I also wondered if more of this was going on in other parts of the country. It just seems so unbelievable to me -- that one would do that -- regardless of the reason.

And congratulations on winning BOTH events!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!
:thumb:

Last edited:
My opinion does not matter to anyone but myself, but I was in a situation similar to this - more than once. My understanding is that people have the right to know about events. We tell as many people as possible about upcoming events we have the info on. We now also have a newsletter which details the available tournaments. Sometimes I've emailed info to people from my league, and from other areas. I've even called people from my contact list. I feel I've done the mature thing, even though the PTO from our area doesn't even have a pokemon league in his store, never judges a tournament (he's a Magic judge), and does events close enough to our store (and even in our store - which if I was a PTO, I could do myself) that so far I haven't been able to become a PTO myself. Plus, there are very few of his other tournaments that even come close to the attendance of the tournaments held up here. Hopefully the PTO thing may change, possibly in the future, but regardless of that fact I will continue to support his tournaments as I can afford, and continue to let as many people know about them, as I would do my own. It's certainly not good for the game if you don't. Do the mature thing. Do the right thing, not just for yourself, but for others as well. That includes those who may be interested in organizing ANY tournament. Remember to think about other people, and think of how they'd feel as well.

I'd like to edit this a bit. One of the most blaring examples of this same problem happened at a tournament organised in the Barrie area about 3 years ago. I happened to get asked to help judge the 15 and up, which was run as a separate tournament. The organizer showed bias against a visiting gym, and along with some of the participants of other age groups made visitors very unwelcome, being quite hostile. It ended up that the DCI suspended all of the judges and the organizer, except me. That was the event which ended up putting a rift in the Barrie gym, and the eventual start of a new gym by myself and another professor from the area. Marvin (our current PTO) has done nothing of the sort of things which would be near the extent of this event, but in fact asks my advice on tournaments, and potential dates of upcoming tournaments, and even locations. He has asked me many times to judge. We should all be so diligent in being aware of each other's feelings in this matter. And remember, this is for more than just our gratification, but other people are involved. Participants don't want to be involved with these kind of squables, nor should they be. We should all try to promote the game to the best of our ability.

Last edited:
Team Cook said:

So, amidst the personal attacks (even attacks against our 11-year old son), the proposed boycott, we still treated this person with total respect when he showed up to judge at the Houston event. I bit my tongue, in an effort to ensure a fun, peaceful event for all the players there. It was the mature thing to do.

This horrific and this person shouldn't be around or involved with Pokemon events.
No I may not know the story BUT to propose a boycott of an event and then to SHOW up to judge.

Pokemaster1110- To say Pokemon wouldn't be alive without this League Leader is not all true. As a former player in TX, there are many of the Players who have done SO much for the game. We didn't just travel for tournies in hopes of a title. We traveled to support that area, the PTO, the Circle of pokemon friends and to just have some good ole Pokemon fun.

Cook- you guys have done so much for the game in your area, don't ever let someone like this set you back. You guys are strong and the Mature ones in the situation.

mewsmom said:
This horrific and this person shouldn't be around or involved with Pokemon events.
No I may not know the story BUT to propose a boycott of an event and then to SHOW up to judge.

Pokemaster1110- To say Pokemon wouldn't be alive without this League Leader is not all true. As a former player in TX, there are many of the Players who have done SO much for the game. We didn't just travel for tournies in hopes of a title. We traveled to support that area, the PTO, the Circle of pokemon friends and to just have some good ole Pokemon fun.

Cook- you guys have done so much for the game in your area, don't ever let someone like this set you back. You guys are strong and the Mature ones in the situation.

Oh my Goodness. First off, I didn't say "Pokemon wouldn't be alive" I said Pokemon IN HOUSTON wouldn't be alive, and that is a fact. There would be a Woodlands league, yes, but (and this is NOT a shot at the woodlands guys, I understand you gotta play where you can) how attracted to the Houston area would Nintendo and POP be if the only Pokemon activity in the area was a Saturday morning league held in a McDonalds in a Wal-Mart in a small city to the north. Again, not a shot at the Woodlands, but understand that POP wouldn't have near as much interest in this area if you take out the other FOUR leagues run by or supported by this individual. These four leagues are home to over 120 area Pokemon fans and because this leader INTRODUCED our current PTO to the THREE venues in town we have major tournaments. If not for all this, would state championships be in Houston? Probably not. Would we have had Pokemon Rocks America without the Professors down here to help out? Doubtful. (And by the way, this chain of leauges have more certifed professors than anywhere else in the country, thanks in no small part to the training and teaching by this leader to others, including myself) I think that everyone needs to understand that this leader does not want to take over, or assume total power. He just wants what, after years of dedication to others and the game first, he feels he deserves; the right to set up, staff and judge at events in his leauge stores. Another thing to consider is that the man who owns said chain of stores is great friends with this leader and doesn't trust anyone else. In the past, the PTO would call this leader and say, "Hey, we need to have this pre-release or this city championship on this date at this time, can you get it done?" And this leader would happily reply "Sure, no problem." He would then proceed to call up the store owner, "Hey, on blah blah date we need about twelve tables for the day for this tournament." "No problem bud, you got it." The leader would then call the professors of the area and staff the even with the amount of other professors needed to run the event. He then, at all four leagues, told everyone about it, posted the info on our website, handed out flyers and even offered to drive miles out of his way to pick up and transport players to the store who normally wouldn't be able to get there. Basically, all the Pto had to do was talk to this leader about it and withen a few hours the whole thing was set up. All the PTO had to do then was show up and work the computer (although he did help with the judging as well) and then report the tournament. Should this leader not be allowed to do what he normally does (and might I add what he is good at) then we won't have major tournaments in Houston anymore, because the owner of the venues doesn't trust anyone else and won't allow others to run events in his store. Team Cook, if for no other reason than to allow this league leader his former position, then consider the fact that otherwise you have to rent out a room in a Hotel anytime you want anything in Houston, and that will only drive up your costs and will greatly diminish your player turnout. But I hope this can all work out. Call the guy selfish if you want, but after all he has done he deserves this and when people don't get the respect they deserve it makes me angry, and it should make all of you angry too. Team Cook, I have nothing but respect for you and you have, thus far, given me no reason to be angry with you. But if you truly do understand why he is so angry I hope you will consider allowing this leader the authority and power (if you want to call it that) that he deserves. I will say I was impressed with how things were handled on Sunday, but you have told me that you only invited him to judge with you because you were "forced to". You should never be "forced" to call upon this person because we wouldn't be having these events if not for him, so I think that it is entierly fair of him to want to judge the Houston/Sugarland events, not only because he deserves this much respect but because he is reliable, trustworthy and will always work his hardest when he works for you. And that is the truth, from me. I have known this guy for five years now, and I would readily trust him with my life and my darkest secrets, because I know what kind of person he is. This is not about power. This is me being real right here, right now. This is about a guy who loves this game and has done so much for it not wanting to be pushed out because some one new is becoming PTO. Is that too much to ask, guys?

By the way, if the information Team Cook recived was that this leader didn't inform his players about it then that information was a fabrication. He informed all of us about it, told us his opinion of the situation, then said he wasn't going to support it but would not hold it against us if we chose otherwise. I and a few friends chose otherwise. The only reason the Houston number of attendees was down was because this leader BRINGS most of the people with him, and if he had never come in the first place none of the others would have either.

Thanks, Team Cook, I had a great time this weekend. I'm saving the duplicate winner pin for Trent Chambers because, frankly, he probably only lost to me because my Spoink kept him asleep for about 12 straight turns. I kinda feel sorry for him, but he was a good sport and made a great comback near the end. 12 turns. Don't feel bad, Trent, no one can conquor the mystic Snorlax voodoo doll mojo. :wink:

By the way, Team Cook, if I get a defense form Deoxys EX out of my box and you still need one I'll save it for you :thumb:

Mewsmom, to say that we may not be talking about the same person seems pretty naive to me. I have talked personally with Team Cook, face to face, about this and we are talking about the same person.
Sorry I have to say this, but how dare you call my best friend a horrific person. You don't know anything about this person, and yet based on one persons account of recent times your willing to say this guy is a creep and should not do pokemon? You obviously know nothing about this person. And by the way he showed up to judge an event he was previously planning to attend because it was a store where he runs league. He just doesn't want to drive for an hour and support another area knowing that because he does the numbers he brought will turn around and force him down. I have no problem with people offering ideas or asking questions, but what you said was rude and very mean spirited, not to mention uninformed. I would suggest that when dealing in the future with people and circumstances you do not know about, you refrain from uncalled for and rude name calling, or simply keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back