Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lessons Learned

KingGengar

Hiya, Poke-Folks:

What lessons?

1. When you see Duskull with an Unown G on opponent's Bench, and opponent also has Moonlight Stadium out, KO the Duskull with Relicanth instead of bombing on the Gardevoir which is Psychic Lock'ing. Yes, I know it's a tough decision, but let my experience be your guide here.

2. When you know your opponent has a Sableye to open, and you have Spiritomb and Azelf in hand, do NOT lay them both "just to be safe." You will undoubtedly leave a Pokemon in the prizes which you will regret not having on.... oh... Turn 3 FTW. Then, you will have to hang on until the bitter (and I do mean bitter) end.

3. When Cursegar does not sneak away but leaves itself open with an Expert Belt, do not forget to Roseanne for Pachirisu as you will have practiced for days as a way to ingrain that concept.

4. When you have Chatot Active and your opponent is holding 3 cards, and you decide to NOT Mimic because you "could top-deck what you need" - rethink that strategy - the cards you think are at the top are all having a party at the bottom of the deck.

OK, school's out. Here's my report:

Georgia Regionals. Machamp. I REALLY thought I would SP (donk) heaven, but I didn't play an SP all day.

R1 vs Abomasnow/Donphan: A tough game, with T2 Aboma for him. I manage to get rid of it just in time, then spend time banging on Donphan until I get Warp Points going. 1-0

R2 vs Jumpluff: I go 2nd. Luxury Ball, Bebe's, Candy, Fighting. gg. 2-0. :)

R3 vs PLOX: see Lesson 1. I was ahead three prizes when I Hurricane'd his Belted Gardy. Dusknoir did the rest for him. 2-1.

R4 vs Tyranitar: I know... I know... Even with Lesson 2 in play, I almost managed to win this. 2-2. grrr >:-(

R5 vs Mirror: I have a somewhat better build than he does, and I manage to Strong-Will also. 3-2. Things are looking up.

R6 vs Cursegar: Close game. I took 3, then he came back. Then I played correctly. 4-2. Must...scale... mountain.

R7 vs..... Cursegar. Curses! Again, I take 2 prizes, and then.... Lessons 3 & 4 happen. Look, when you have 2 Machop on the Bench and you're staring down elimination, normally Pachirisu doesn't enter the head... but it should. And why Chatot for 3. Because ALL 3 MACHAMP were at the dead bottom of my deck and I think I drew one Bebe's the whole game, with which I went for Claydol. Lost by 2 prizes. End up 4-3. If I win, I would've been 14. As it was... 32.

Probably shoulda just stuck with A-game LuxChomp, or tried wonk-y little Sabledonk (I kinda like this), but at least I know Champ still contends... with just a *little* more luck (and memory cells).

I had a GREAT time. Good to see lots of people I don't often.

We all learn everytime we play. Thats how we get better. Congrats on the winning record. See ya at the PR in Sevierville May 8?????

Keith

Thanks, Keith. MAYBE on PR - besides the work on Rt 40 they're still puttering with, there are some health issues with grandmother, so I may be here for a sadder affair.

In the spirit of the thread, when running Luxchomp mirror match, aim to take out his Garchomps first. They are the key to winning the mirror. Wow, was that illustrated to me strongly.

Also, SP decks need an answer to Rapidash, LOL. I was playing against a fire deck and after I was up like 4 prizes to 1, he stopped benching anything and just sat there with Rapidash. I had something in there as a counter, but it took a while to get it out. That was close.

All good funny stuff.

Oh, it's killing me to even think about it, but did I miss a Chatot lock on Spiritomb in my last game, when opponent had a full Bench? Please, Lord, tell me I'm not senile.

Back