Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Let's speculate about the rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

losjackal

Technical Administrator
As a new PokeDad that has invested in competitive cards this season to get up to speed, I'm very curious what is going to be rotated. Naturally, I don't want 80% of my binder to suddenly drop in value significantly.

I know Diamond & Pearl is long in the tooth, so I expect at least DP through LA to be rotated. The question is, how much more will POP rotate? If you want to speculate with me, read on.

Pretending to be the product manager, I drew up a timeline for all of the sets and what was legal and when. You can view it here.

I've heard SF-on may be the format next year. Machamp without Unown G? Autoloss for SP, so this would hardly be a fair fight. 6 sets rotated would be more than any previous year, but is it enough?

I've heard PL-on may be the format next year. From a naming convention that makes the most sense, and rotating 7 sets while having 10 legal by Worlds 2011 seems about average. But this arguably makes SP's stronger, and a side note is that that both SF and PL contain cards from the Japanese set Intense Fight in the Destroyed Sky, perhaps making the dividing line difficult to be in the middle. If it was indeed PL-on, the tournament environment would be SP vs. Prime, each with x2 weakness. Interesting.

I've heard RR-on may be the format next year. Well, Obsidius suggests it below, to clarify the problem above with SF-PL cards. Bye bye Dialga G, which gives Stage 2's with Poke-Bodies some strength back.

I've heard AR-on may the format next year. This would eliminate almost all of the high-value competitive SP pokemon, as well as the SP Cyrus engine. At first glance this scenario doesn't seem likely, unless TPC wanted people to stop overpaying for SP's. And would this be like 2007 when the Holon Engine was rotated which hurt Delta decks?

I've heard HS-on may be the format next year. From a naming convention this could make sense, especially if TPC wanted to completely rotate SP's and Level X's, leaving only a game of Legends and Primes. But 11 sets rotated leaving only 6 for next Worlds? That seems extreme.

Discuss.

Last edited:
PL on, everything else just seems stupid. Champ and Gengar have to go, when the format gets a bit less stale and some cards fall away decks will hopefully be able to focus more on counterin sps...

It will be one of these Three:Stormfront-on, Platinum-on or Rising Rivals-on.

Platinum does seem like the obvious but the reason I suggested RR is because of the few cards in our Platinum set that are in Japan's Stormfront(Intense Fight in the Destroyed Sky). Cards like Giratina and Shaymin were placed in our Platinum to coincide with the release of the 11th Pokemon movie, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, along with the US release of the Pokemon:platinum game.

Unless the Powers that Be allow certain exceptions to the set rotation, Japan won't be able to use certain cards available exclusively to us(which would probably be a first).

Then again, they could just make it Stormfront-on and make everone happy or upset, but at least it would be fair. With Rising Rivals-on, it would clear up the confusion with Stromfront and Platinum and start from clean slate.

With all this, I'm nearly 80-90% sure that it won't be Platinum-on.

i can never see stormfront on. lets just let Gengar and Machamp roam wild with practically nothing to stop them, ya, that's a great idea, why not point the loaded gun at your head and pull the trigger too?

PT-on is the most logic cuz japan is doing it right now, but GS-on would be pretty dang fun...till i get tired of seeing so many freakin' jumpluffs

In Japan, the rotation is PT-on. I can't see it being any different, but who knows...

I'm assuming you got this info from Rogan's Thread. If I recall, he stated,"Most leagues...", which to me doesn't really mean much since you can play whatever at League. It could just mean that their in the same boat as we are and just assuming it will be PT-on.

I wonder if Japan even knows that our Stormfront/Platinum sets are different compared to theirs?

The final 3 WotC sets, (Expedition, Aquapolis, and Skyridge), were legal for 2003-2004 season.

I agree that I would love for it to be HGSS-on. I think the way that the new cards from these first two sets have been, it really levels the playing field, and gives a lot of stuff a chance to be competitive. Fire has its own mini-engine (Ninetales) and Jumpluff... will be Jumpluff (weak to fire and without Luxray, as every deck should be... I'm sick of this card), so I think those two styles would balance each other out, especially brining back the double weakness. It would make for some interesting deck ideas, such as Raichu/Ampharos Prime, Donphan Prime will be around, and I just think it will give a lot more cards the opportunity to be playable if the person that creates the deck has really good synergy with it and understands it well, there are no cards such as Luxray X that just completely destroy everything.

Although this scenario seems very unlikely, one can dream, right? Plus, then they would make a lot more money, since people wouldn't rely on trading/buying off of ebay for all those cards and it should boost sales and interest in the newer sets and even HGSS, since that set is already dying in interest and value.

I hope it's platinum on. It seems the most likely. Japan already has to live with making sure to not use any of the cards that never get printed anywhere else, so I don't see the whole SF PL mix up much of a problem. It seems only natural for it to work this way. They are cutting off the entire DP set. Then next year they will cut off the PL set, then the HS set and so on. Besides, I don't want to lose the Luxrays I just got.

There was a thread i was reading here earlier yesterday written by a guy who is living in Japan right now and he said the rotation there was their "Platinum" set and forward. Don't wanna be a gossiper and start a whole argument, that's just what I read. It's what I'm hoping for too.

Actually I see PL and back getting cut. PL has already seen 2 years of action and that is how they rotated sets each season before this one. Plus it would make the game alot more interesting instead of SP's dominating the game. Poketurn, Cyrus' Conspiracy, energy gain, etc. pretty much what really fuels the SP decks will be gone and everyone will have to deal with what they got from RR on. Luxray X will still be played in pretty much any deck b/c of the gust of wind effect. If I were playing it safe I would only buy RR and up, nothing else.

RR has seen 2 years as well, including this year. By that logic, RR would be getting rotated too. I don't think POP would leave only one set with SP pokemon playable, especially Supreme Victors which doesn't include any cards that make SP's even close to competitive. They wouldn't rotate the SP engine and leave some SP Poke's to be playable. Also, this will be the first year that Supreme Victors has been in play, along with Arceus, meaning that they probably won't be rotated either. If SV stays, I think all of the Platinum sets stay. That's just my argument though.

Yeah but RR really only got action at Worlds 2009 which really wasn't much of last season, honestly I just want the game to change up a little, it's starting to get a little repetitive at tournaments seeing the same thing over and over. Last season was great b/c pretty much any deck had a chance to make it to top cut, now it's either play the metagame or lose. I wanna use Charizard soooo bad lol only b/c he's my favorite

All logic aside, as I care not, I hope Platinum goes the way of the dinosaurs this rotation for a little bit of spice to the game.

So play Charizard then if he's your favorite! It's top cutted plenty of premier events, you really just need to be comfortable with it and have a stellar list. This might be the right time to play it actually, with the new Blastoise coming out, Feraligatr in the format, and Lanturn Prime coming in a couple of weeks. Just play what you love to play and it doesn't really matter how you do, unless you're obsessed with winning.

It's eitehr going to be Platinum-On or Rising Rivals-On. Platinum-On makes the most sense for a bunch of reasons that have been ecxplained in previous threads but in theory if POP gets enough complainst about 'luxchomp is broken i wanna run my teddiursa deck wahhwahhwahh' they might make it RR-On to basically eliminate SP decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back