Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Littleton CO CC Report

SteveP

Thanks to Virginia for holding the last Colorado CC despite the fact that Pokemon is almost dead at her once-the-best-place-in-CO-to-play-Pokemon shop. Of the 20 players there, only 2 were local Littleton players, and they were beginners who dropped after 2 rounds. Plus, 2 players from Colorado Springs who won the Lakewood CC decided to play. So, I choose to play in hopes of playing and beating those two from my hometown and prevent them from repeating. As it turned out, I DID play and beat them both. However, the younger player still decided to drop his final round and let someone else win the medal. Great sportsmanship Josh! His drop meant there was a tie in the 11-14 that had to be resolved with a playoff.

Playing in the 15+ and being 3-game matches, I decided to use BAR. If the matches would've been 1-game matches, I would've used GardyEX.

My DECK:

Pokemon:
4 Blaziken
2 Combusken
4 Torchic
2 Mareep
1 Flaffy
2 Amphy
3 Rayquaza
2 Delcatty
2 Skitty

Trainers:
4 TV Reporter
4 Oracle
4 Rare Candy
2 Lanette
2 Warp Point
1 POR
1 CopyCat
1 Energy Recycle System
1 Town Volunteers

Energy:
13 Fire
4 Lightning
1 Multi

The only thing that really kills BAR is speed and disruption (or bad card draw). In all my matches, the biggest challenges were:

Round 2 vs Shedinja
Skitty and Torchic were hard-pressed to try to take our Shedinja. My only hope was to Warp Point a couple times and use Blaziken's bench damage to finally win in a Marathon 35-minute match. In the second game, my opponent wasn't able to get Shedinja out, so I won quickly.

Round 5 vs Flygon/Magneton/Cacturne
In the first game, my opponent could've KO'd a Rayquaza with Flygon's damage attack, but instead decided to sacrafice him for a Rainbow Shower with 8 Energy. It was a BRILLIANT move and totally powered up 3 benched Pokemon. I barely recovered and won by one prize. In the second game, I made the mistake of going down by a Prize (my 2 to his 1). He powered up his Flygon on the bench and left Cacturne out as a shield (unpowered). My only hope was for him to make a mistake and bring up Flygon to only do 90 damage. But he stalled about 5-6 turns before he could power up Cacturne and force me to attack and loose because of the Poison. I'd used up my Warp Points, so I knew he would eventually win if he could get the energy and didn't make a mistake. After fully powering up his Cacturne, I KO'ed it, drew my 5th Prize and conceded to his fully powered Flygon against my Poisoned Blaziken. Then, just when we were about to start our 3rd game, time was called, to my surprise. I thought there was at least about 10 minutes left, but not so. The 1-1 draw meant I won the tournament with a 4-0-1 record against my opponent's 3-1-1 record. But, if we'd had time to play that 3rd game, it could've gone either way. BEST game of the day KEN!!! Congrats on your Rogue deck. Too bad you lost earlier to that GardyEX deck or we would've been doing a playoff.

At the end of the 5th round, I had to make a choice whether to accept the championship or concede to my VERY WORTHY opponent and let him have the championship so I could be the Head Judge at the Colorado States Championship. After talking to mysterioustrainer and asking him if he'd HJ the States, I decided to take the championship and play at the Colorado States. It's quite a change for me to play against all the players I normally judge, but I DO get the chance to beat my #1 son whom I've never been able to beat in tournament play. This time I WILL, even if I don't win States, my main goal is to beat my KID (he's a 16-year old kid with a big, teenage ego that I need to deflate :) )

Well, that's about it from me except for Props and Slops:

Slops:

- $10 entry fee
- me for not being original and playing BAR (I almost made a Salamence deck on Friday)

Props:

- Virginia for giving out old gym badges and promos
- Josh for dropping to let someone else win the CC
- Craig for opting to HJ Colorado States
- Virginia for giving everyone a booster
- Craig for doing top-notch judging
- Ken for playing an original deck and giving me the best match ever

Last edited:
Another unusal circumstance is that there was only one ten and under player. That caused a problem because he already qualified as the ten and under champion. How do you handle that? I ruled that he qualified for the title automatically since he is a willing participant, he played all rounds, and that it wasn't his fault that no one else in his age division showed up.

Last edited:
Back