Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Live US Nationals Coverage

Pooka

Master Trainer
Hey everybody, you may or may not know me, but I'm Kyle Sucevich, otherwise known as Pooka. I've been playing this game since Base Set, and I'll be playing it as long as it exists. When it comes down to it, I love Pokemon, and I want to see it grow and thrive. Right now there is great potential for the Pokemon TCG to become much larger than it currently is, and it's time to do something about it.

For a game to grow, eventually it needs coverage and accessibility by a public audience. Unfortunately, Pokemon just doesn't have much of that. Wouldn't you like to know what's happening at the big tournaments if you aren't there? Don't you want to know what decks are doing well, who's winning, and how the event is going is general? As of right now, the only way to find these things out is to wait for somebody to post on a thread in PokeGym, and sometimes that doesn't happen for hours!

Well, it's time to change that. At US Nationals 2011, I will be working with a few others to provide coverage and updates as the event is happening. The four of us who are starting this initiative to grow the game are Michael Pramawat, Drew Holton, Josue "Criminal" Rojano, and myself. To give a background for each of us, Pram was the 2nd place finisher at Worlds 2010, Drew took 2nd at US Nationals 2008, Crim is an old school player who took 3rd at the 2001 STS, and I won US Nationals in 2009. So, we are all experienced players who know Pokemon quite well and want to make the game we love better for everyone. To keep it simple, we decided to name ourselves "The Top Cut."

What does The Top Cut plan on doing? At Nationals, we plan on doing real-time updates online followed by uploading videos later in the day. Some of this content includes interviews with popular players, information on what decks are performing well, and much more. Before the event, the four of us will discuss our predictions about the event, including which players and decks we expect to do well. As the tournament goes on, we will give our predictions on who will win based on the tournament bracket that develops in the later stages of the tournament. Ultimately, we want to make it so people who can't experience the event live know exactly what is happening as the event is going on and provide commentary from some of the game's best players.

In addition to Nationals coverage, we are working on delivering more high-level material in the form of streaming and videos; everything is free and simple to watch. Currently we have a few videos that give a glimpse of what we're aspiring towards, but we're a little rough around the edges right now. For example, we streamed and recorded a playtesting session between Drew and Andrew Mondak so people could watch two good players duke it out. In addition, we have a video of a game being played with commentators explaining the game state and what's happening, very similar to watching sports on TV. Finally, we are running a show online every week where the four of us and a guest just sit down and talk about current events in the Pokemon world. Last week we invited Josef "Bolt" Bolton to discuss the strength of Stage 1 decks as opposed to Stage 2 decks in the HS-on format. Every week we'll have a new topic to discuss and a new guest as well. So, even when there aren't tournaments going on, we'll be producing content in other forms.

I'm posting this here on PokeGym to get feedback. Is this something you're interested in? Do you have suggestions for what you'd like to see? How can we improve what we're doing? If you have any questions or comments, you can post here, PM me, or e-mail us at [email protected]. We take all feedback very seriously and want to make this great, but we need help because we're new at this. If you love this game as much as we do and want to see it grow into something even better, please support us and spread the word. Thank you!

I love you.

Ok, so that sounds creepy, but seriously, this is amazing. Even though I never could see myself playing much Magic The Gathering, one amazing thing about the game is how much coverage there is (In fact, what you are doing sounds a lot like GGsLive -I think that's their name- that does some Magic coverage). You can always find all kinds of stuff about tournaments and the like, and it's pretty awesome. I've always thought it was a shame that Pokemon had nothing like this at all, so this really is an amazing idea.

I'm trying to think of specific suggestions for you, but am having a tough time thinking of much. Basically, my main comment is to just beat us over the head with loads of content :p Constant updates/videos/ect. I think the biggest mistake you could make is not having enough content, or having long periods of odd "silence" during big events.

Also, I love watching matches, so when big events aren't going on I'd love to see lots of those. And who knows, maybe if this is successful enough you can approach TPCi about doing some live streaming of matches at big events like Nationals/Worlds.

Shame they probably won't let you film matches, though if you could somehow sneakily do it, that'd be awesome.

I've been watching some of what The Top Cut has to offer, and so far, I'm very impressed. It's simple stuff thus far, but, the idea behind it is very solid. For those of you that haven't paid much attention, or haven't seen any videos at all, I highly suggest watching them. The first one is a little rough, but, they greatly improved for the second episode.

I agree that constant coverage would be really good, but, that's also going to be difficult for those that of you guys that are playing at Nationals (I got the impression that you all would be). But, updates as much as possible would be great. I dunno how you guys would go about it, but, I think interviews with some of the people that have top cut at Nationals at some point (maybe those that went fairly deep, not so much those that made top 128, that seems like that would get hectic) would be kinda cool to see.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Seems great, along side video coverage (if aloud) you could always do twitter/facebook create fan pages for this. I like this idea, I wouldn't mind doing a deck profile, or a take on whats happening. Specially if I top, or get somewhat close to topping. :3

Amazing IDEA!!!

This is an amazing idea!!! Congratulations for all of these great things YOU want to do! I will follow the event at 100% in this case!
I think that nobody is better than you, such a PRO Players to make interview and make prevision of metagame: THIS IS WHAT ABOUT POKEMON TCG MISSED TO ALL OF US (non USA players that love to follow important and high skill tournaments!)!

Yes, eventually a goal would be to have big matches broadcasted live from the event, or at the very least recorded so people can view them later. However, I don't believe that is realistic this year unfortunately. As for constant updates throughout the event, we will have a few people working who don't plan on playing in the event, so we'll be doing the best we can.

In addition, we do have Facebook and Twitter pages set up, but I don't believe I'm allowed to link to those here. :p In the near future, we also will have a website where everything will be easy to access. Thanks for all your positive feedback so far!

Yes, eventually a goal would be to have big matches broadcasted live from the event, or at the very least recorded so people can view them later. However, I don't believe that is realistic this year unfortunately. As for constant updates throughout the event, we will have a few people working who don't plan on playing in the event, so we'll be doing the best we can.

In addition, we do have Facebook and Twitter pages set up, but I don't believe I'm allowed to link to those here. :p In the near future, we also will have a website where everything will be easy to access. Thanks for all your positive feedback so far!

If I do well in the tournament with the deck I'm using I would more then like to do a deck profile, I don't want to plague your video with a bad/sub par deck, so hopefully I can top somewhere and have a chance!

Now this is what I call a step in the right direction. If only Pokemon would embrace this idea and do extensive live coverage of their events themselves we'd be in business.

Pokémon should allow recordings if both players consent imo. Of course it would be problematic if someone accidentally (or "accidentally") taped the match next to the one they were meant to tape...

Wired cameras like they do in the NFL, there high enough so there not in the way, but there also getting the best shots of the game, it could be live via streamed internet but not at the actual event, so it could go in depth into the players hand, movement, plays, everything. Then there could be standard coverage from other cameras that could be aloud to be shown while the event is going on. The company makes enough money to make all events free, they can invest into some wired cameras to set up and let the action begin, it would bring a whole new era into pokemon, its already getting back to the good days, this would take it in a direction that never could have been put down in the past,

That's my thoughts and ideas on the subject, people like Pooka would do the on ground coverage for pretty much free, then the wired cameras would do the rest.

Well, I think it's a step in the right direction. You've been the type of cool stuff MTG does for their events; having pages set that if you refresh an hour later you can see the current standings, see any featured matched, and any commentary from top players. I don't think it'll ever happen though; Pokemon is too secretive of a game for some reason.

Well, I think it's a step in the right direction. You've been the type of cool stuff MTG does for their events; having pages set that if you refresh an hour later you can see the current standings, see any featured matched, and any commentary from top players. I don't think it'll ever happen though; Pokemon is too secretive of a game for some reason.

Pokemon is ran by a top secret underground society, what we think we know is nothing, Pokemon are real, I am in danger of even typing this "wait" " hears knocks at the door" "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Yes, basically we want to show that this sort of thing is possible for the Pokemon TCG, and there is a demand for it. If we can manage to do a good enough job, perhaps we can get the coverage and publicity the game truly deserves.

sdrawkcab, we're taking it one step at a time right now. Maybe in the future we could get coverage of Canada and other countries, but we have to start small for now. :p

EeveeLover, thank you for the clarification! I appreciate it. :smile:

If you need sponsorship, please contact me.

This is the type of project I am willing to throw some resources behind.

Vince

If you need sponsorship, please contact me.

This is the type of project I am willing to throw some resources behind.

Vince

I don't know if they have a website they plan on throwing this all up on Vince but if they used your website to upload the stuff to think about how much traffic your site/shop would get because of it.

Back