Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat460

I've noticed all of the threads that create an anti-POP tone have been locked lately. Not saying that there is a correlation between the anti-POP tone and them getting locked, just thought it was a funny observation.

Thoughts?

It is the way you post about them. People are overlooking everything good that POP has been doing and focusing on the negative points. A lot of the times the threads have been unnecessary much like this one which is why they have been locked.

I don`t think there is much to it other then the GYM has rules if you don`t follow them your thread will be locked. It isn`t a big deal.

The common theme is "anti", which tend to degenerate into attacks.
Note that they (the original ones, anyway) are not locked before people have a chance to express themselves.
I think you have to acknowledge that, to be fair.

However, after a while, when they're just repeating the same points over and over again, it has degenerated into nothing more that bile.

That's when they get locked.

It is the way you post about them. People are overlooking everything good that POP has been doing and focusing on the negative points. A lot of the times the threads have been unnecessary much like this one which is why they have been locked.

I don`t think there is much to it other then the GYM has rules if you don`t follow them your thread will be locked. It isn`t a big deal.

Oh, its the way I post about them? Me specifically? Lol, I think you meant to say that its the way PEOPLE post about them. Though, you could really mean me, wouldnt suprise me much lol.

The common theme is "anti", which tend to degenerate into attacks.
Note that they (the original ones, anyway) are not locked before people have a chance to express themselves.
I think you have to acknowledge that, to be fair.

However, after a while, when they're just repeating the same points over and over again, it has degenerated into nothing more that bile.

That's when they get locked.

This makes sense to some degree, but not what I meant. Threads that start out "anti-" anything get locked because, like you said, they turn into bashing threads, which even annoy me. A good example is this thread. But, I meant threads about things like, say, new ruling A. Players dislike new ruling A, and say they dont like it. These kinds of threads. Threads like this.

The same points thing isn't really a reason to lock a thread, I think. Its annoying and almost impossible to get out of in some cases, but not reason to lock a thread. Threads that do this will either die on their own or someone will come up with something enw to say.

But, I meant threads about things like, say, new ruling A. Players dislike new ruling A, and say they dont like it. These kinds of threads. Threads like this.
That thread had two major problems.
One, the topic of Japanese cards being restricted had been discussed ad nauseum already, including posts by the topic starter stating that said he was happy with the compromise!
However, even that did not get it locked. It was allowed to go on for pages.
No, what got it locked was the OP deleting his original post!!!
It was stated very clearly that that was why it was locked.
Doing that is a MAJOR issue and that alone will tick off board admins mightily!

Sorry, you're not making your point.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Well, there goes any correlation, and were back to square one, an observation without a pattern. Still interesting though.

I gotta say I respect the way this topic has been handled. I have been to plenty of forums where a topic like this would just be insta-locked.

I'd be really surprised if there wasn't a correllation between "anti" threads and locked threads.

Now, repeat after me: "correllation is not causation". eg most people die in bed so bed must be a very dangerous place. There is a correlation with being in bed and dieing but being in bed is not a cause of high mortality.

By their very nature the anti-threads are likely to be hijacked or descend into insult and bile when posters feel wronged or attacked or slighted or ignored. Public forums just don't work well at achieveing a calm discussion of critical hot topics. Which on this particular forum can result in them being locked.

That thread had two major problems.
One, the topic of Japanese cards being restricted had been discussed ad nauseum already, including posts by the topic starter stating that said he was happy with the compromise!
However, even that did not get it locked. It was allowed to go on for pages.
No, what got it locked was the OP deleting his original post!!!
It was stated very clearly that that was why it was locked.
Doing that is a MAJOR issue and that alone will tick off board admins mightily!

Sorry, you're not making your point.
It might help if there were posted rules about it.

I took a brief (very brief, forgive me if I missed it) look over the rules, and I didn't see anything about deleting the original post.

While it's kinda common sense not to, I just think it might help.

Just a suggestion.

I'm going to explain this with reference to the rules, but I don't want to anyone to think that:
  1. I'm crumbing on DP, though he might feel ill used by my comments
  2. I don't think violating common sense with a post shouldn't be a factor in giving infractions, cause T. & Pop are right about that.
  3. I'm unhappy that Toxictaipan raised the issue
If you change the lead post, as was done in this case, by completely deleting it, changing the title and only leaving a tiny note with no reference to any of the catalog of flaming points from the original topic -- have you, um, changed the whole topic?

You completely replaced the topic post! So, yah, you did change the whole topic. You made, so to speak, as it were, in effect -> every one of those posts previously made by others off-topic! And there were a lot of them.

OK, that should be an off topic infraction for the topic starter, you say. Absolutely right!

Guess what, when someone asks a personal question in the News & Gossip, like "what's the email address for Pokemon OP?", then edits out their lead post and replaces it with 'mods plz lock, got my answer' after people have been sharing the various addresses and tips for using them, guess what: They get a reminder or infraction for rule 8!

There's a little difference in magnitude here, though. In a way, we were right-sizing the infraction, by scaling it up a bit from a mere OT infraction.

I've noticed all of the threads that create an anti-POP tone have been locked lately. Not saying that there is a correlation between the anti-POP tone and them getting locked, just thought it was a funny observation.

Thoughts?

You make it sound like the Pokegym is a democracy, Its Not. Its a priviately owned site where the owners can do pretty much whatever they want for whatever reasons they want (hence privately funded). Its kind of the love it or leave it anology. Thankfully there is plenty of other high quality sites that are far less restictive on free speech if that is what your looking for.

We can't outline every instance of common sense that people need to follow.
When we leave one out, then what?

Well, if you ask me, pretty much all of the rules are common sense. I don't see why it's such a problem to go add one more line to the rules.

I understand that you can't cover everything, but it helps to cover as much as you can. I don't see how this can be argued. I understand why you shouldn't have to, but if we lived in a perfect world, we wouldn't need any rules at all.

And what issue did I raise, bulbasnore? I simply made a suggestion. And you're unhappy about that?

Good God....

Forget I even said anything. Every time I make a suggestion or ask for a clarification here, it's too much trouble.

Last edited:
I'm going to explain this with reference to the rules, but I don't want to anyone to think that:
  1. I'm crumbing on DP, though he might feel ill used by my comments
  2. I don't think violating common sense with a post shouldn't be a factor in giving infractions, cause T. & Pop are right about that.
  3. I'm unhappy that Toxictaipan raised the issue
If you change the lead post, as was done in this case, by completely deleting it, changing the title and only leaving a tiny note with no reference to any of the catalog of flaming points from the original topic -- have you, um, changed the whole topic?

You completely replaced the topic post! So, yah, you did change the whole topic. You made, so to speak, as it were, in effect -> every one of those posts previously made by others off-topic! And there were a lot of them.

OK, that should be an off topic infraction for the topic starter, you say. Absolutely right!

Guess what, when someone asks a personal question in the News & Gossip, like "what's the email address for Pokemon OP?", then edits out their lead post and replaces it with 'mods plz lock, got my answer' after people have been sharing the various addresses and tips for using them, guess what: They get a reminder or infraction for rule 8!

There's a little difference in magnitude here, though. In a way, we were right-sizing the infraction, by scaling it up a bit from a mere OT infraction.

I STILL think 10 points was just a bit harsh. :tongue:

Ya... not going to do that again. Wish I had known in advance that it was against the rules... would have been kind of nice. :/

I see no reason for DP's actions being percieved as doing anything more serious than going off-topic. It seems to me as if your average OT warning would've been sufficient. What did he do that was any more severe than changing the topic to "mods plz lock"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back