Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Looking Forward: Grass type BW/HGSS strat?

Todd Ingram

While browsing the B&W Card list, I felt the urge to attempt to find a strategy revolving around :grass: types, my personal favorite. Assuming HGSS gets kept in the rotation next year, Meganium Prime's Leaf Trans Pokepower will make energy a snap to move around. Also, BW Serperior's Leaf Tornado move lets you do the same thing. So, if Serperior is close to a KO, you can use MegaPrime to stock it with enough for one last attack, and than attatch all your :grass: energy to whichever pokemon is on deck.

Only problem is, that's all I have. I don't know what tech to use, what other support i can get. (I'm planning on the Platinum sets being rotated out, so HGSS on.) Which is why I'm asking the community to help with a decklist. I do have a few fleeting ideas: Metapod for getting rid of weaknesses, Leavanny for fast evolution, Switch for cost-free retreats and Fisherman for when I don't have a switch. I really do think this could be a great archetype, and I'd like a little help.

P.S. I can be ignorant sometimes. This idea may have already been brought to the public's mind. If it has, a link to the article or topic would be nice. Thanks in advance!
:grass::grass::grass::grass::grass::grass::grass:

First off, this is in the wrong thread. It's probably going to get locked or moved.

Second, I think that cards like Sunflora and Metapod (both from HGSS) will be good since Sunflora searches out grass types while Metapod removes weakness from all your Grass types in play.

Post a rough list, we can help out. But to be honest, I don't think a lot of the community has established exactly how they're going to build decks next format. Smeargle sounds solid because it can help you the entire game, but we lose Warp Energy. Lots of cards to help you keep your hand going like Prof Oaks or Copycat are good, too (like 3 - 6 in any combination).

Also just a thought, but Max Potion (Max Restore?) sounds fun in there. Move the energy off with Meganium, heal it, move it back ;)

Hrmm... maybe we could try something like...

MegaPrime 3-2-3
Serperior 3-2-3
Metapod 2-2
Sunflora 2-2
Smeargle 3
Leavanny 2-2-2
Rare Candy 4
PONT 2
Copycat 2
Max Potion 5
Pokmemon Catcher 2
Energy Retreival 2
4 DCE
11 Grass Energy

This is just off the top of my head though.

Hrmm... maybe we could try something like...

MegaPrime 3-2-3
Serperior 3-2-3
Metapod 2-2
Sunflora 2-2
Smeargle 3
Leavanny 2-2-2
Rare Candy 4
PONT 2
Copycat 2
Max Potion 5
Pokmemon Catcher 2
Energy Retreival 2
4 DCE
11 Grass Energy

This is just off the top of my head though.
o.o WOAH! Hold it!
3? 3 Stage 2 lines? that usually never works and tends to be VERY slow. Also, you really only need one line of Metapod usually. that and you can't have 5 Max Potion...

MegaPrime 3-2-3
Serperior 3-2-3
Metapod 1-1
Sunflora 2-2
Smeargle 3
UL Cherrim 2-2
Rare Candy 4
PONT 3
Copycat 2
Max Potion 4
Pokmemon Catcher 2
Energy Retreival 2
3 DCE
11 Grass Energy

MegaPrime/Serperior have absolutely no synergy whatsoever. One is a bad prime with an OK ability and an extremely expensive attack for little damage. The other is a pretty good pokemon with an amazing ability and a cheap attack that does damage and has a good effect. IMO, I'd go with using serperior over meganium

Serperior's best friend will be Renicules (I probably spelt that wrong). The ability to move around damage counters partnered with Serperior's healing ability make Serperior a tank. I'd probably play a list like this.

4-2-4 serperior
2-2-2 reniculous
2-2 sunflora
1-1 metapod
total: 22

4 candy
3 prof. juniper
4 switch
3 pokemon catcher
4 collector
3 communication
3 elm's training
1 flower shop lady
3 max potion
Total: 28

10 grass energy

Serperior is your main attacker which is obvious. You basically use the rest of your Pokemon line as a support line, trying to get as many serperior out as fast as possible. Reniculus/max potion makes damage magically dissapear which IMO is amazing.

This is just a basic list that I made off the top of my head. Try it out if you like.

MegaPrime/Serperior have absolutely no synergy whatsoever. One is a bad prime with an OK ability and an extremely expensive attack for little damage. The other is a pretty good pokemon with an amazing ability and a cheap attack that does damage and has a good effect. IMO, I'd go with using serperior over meganium

Serperior's best friend will be Renicules (I probably spelt that wrong). The ability to move around damage counters partnered with Serperior's healing ability make Serperior a tank. I'd probably play a list like this.

4-2-4 serperior
2-2-2 reniculous
2-2 sunflora
1-1 metapod
total: 22

4 candy
3 prof. juniper
4 switch
3 pokemon catcher
4 collector
3 communication
3 elm's training
1 flower shop lady
3 max potion
Total: 28

10 grass energy

Serperior is your main attacker which is obvious. You basically use the rest of your Pokemon line as a support line, trying to get as many serperior out as fast as possible. Reniculus/max potion makes damage magically dissapear which IMO is amazing.

This is just a basic list that I made off the top of my head. Try it out if you like.

>implying i can test this with half the cards unreleased in english

Anyway, I respectfully disagree with your assesment of Megaprime. Though I do realize that it's attack is completely ludacris, the ability is what makes it good support for Serperior-much like Sunflora, Metapod and Reniculous. It also allows for easier use of Max Potion, and better setup for when you need a new Serperior and need energy. Also, assuming the next rotation is RR-on, we may want to consider RR Parasect for getting energy on the field fast and Expert Belt for extra damage and bulk. And maybe Lithograph because it's the closest thing we have to Time Walk next year.

>implying i can test this with half the cards unreleased in english

Anyway, I respectfully disagree with your assesment of Megaprime. Though I do realize that it's attack is completely ludacris, the ability is what makes it good support for Serperior-much like Sunflora, Metapod and Reniculous. It also allows for easier use of Max Potion, and better setup for when you need a new Serperior and need energy. Also, assuming the next rotation is RR-on, we may want to consider RR Parasect for getting energy on the field fast and Expert Belt for extra damage and bulk. And maybe Lithograph because it's the closest thing we have to Time Walk next year.
I've been thinking of a Tanking Serperior Deck. I'm not deciding to go with Meganium, but still it's good.
Personally I don't think you'll need a Meganium Prime as you should have had enough energy drawn and attached before your Serperior is in danger of being Knocked Out, but defintely can still help move Energy around as you can move energy and then attack. However, an tech I was thinking off that will benefit the deck a lot is Dodrio UD. Just think, while it does take up bench space limited your tanking ability, I still think it's a viable option as you can freely retreat your Reuniclus (which I can guarantee is asking for a Catcher to slow you down), your Sunflora/Metapod or even Meganium Prime! Plus you also have the ability to switch Serperior if you need to. Dunno what I was thinking there about switching Serperior but yeah... free retreat all across the board, IMO is going to be a very good addition to any Serperior deck running Reuniclus.

Edit: Also Dodrio is searchable, so it's a lot more helpful than Switch. Let's not forget Trainer Lock amy still be about with Vileplume and Goth..whateveritscalled.

Alright, so this seems like it would function best as a Serperior tank deck, with the following as definite support:
Metapod
Sunflora
Reniculous

Mega Prime is out. I have seen the light,

Dodrio sounds like a great idea, Nintendan. Seeing how Catcher is going to be in about every deck, its nice to have around. It even cancels out Victreebell!

Any other opinons on Expert Belt or Lithograph?

---------- Post added 04/04/2011 at 06:15 PM ----------

New Draft:
4-2-4 serperior
2-2-2 reniculous
2-2 sunflora
1-1 metapod
1-1 dodrio
total: 24

4 candy
3 prof. juniper
4 switch
3 pokemon catcher
3 collector
3 communication
2 elm's training
1 flower shop lady
3 max potion
Total: 26

10 grass energy

Last edited:
Why play four switch when you're using dodrio, complete waste of space. Also, switch is better than Dodrio because Dodrio can just be pulled up by opposing catchers and then killed. Drop the Dodrio for 2 expert belts.

Also, just move the list to Deck Help, you'll get more responses.

I'm pretty sure the serperior that has the ability is, well, superior over this serperior (wow, tongue twister). With the ability to heal up to 80 damage a turn, the only thing threatening it is OHKOs.

Try that one with 2-2 sunflora, run it like ye ol' RayBees, and see how it works.

Back