Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lucario Master's Multi-Battle Road Report 5th,5th and 2nd UPDATED AND FINISHED!

Lucario-Master

Hey everybody, so i decided that i wanted to do one big report to summarize my Battle Road's experiance ( fine but fell a little short).

So coming into the format I have to say i tested less then i wanted to but really with what testing i did do it came down to Darkrai/Hydreigon and RayEels. They had the highest power and most consistency, in the end i just ended up playing Darkrai/Hydreigon because that was what I had the cards for.
The first weekend was uneventful, i played a really techy version that played prisms and Terrakion along the normal list that i will post shortly. I played against 3 Garchomps which i consider one of the harder match ups and i only had 6 basic energy and 6 special so it was able to wreck me each time ( i also got unlucky but that's besides the point). I went something like 4-3 but I would say that it was the list that caused me to lose to Garchomp.

For the next 3 weekends i used the following list

3-1-3 Hydreigon (dark basic and stage 1)
3 Darkrai EX
3 Sableye
1 Shaymin EX
1 Mewtwo EX
1 Reshiram EX

8 Dark
4 Blend

4 Juniper
4 N
3 Random Recievers
1 Bianca
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Dark Patch
4 Ultra Ball
3 Rare Candy
3 Max Potion
2 Eviolite

I also did a video deck tech where I go more in depth on card decisions and match ups, feel free to watch if you like that kind of stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMIR3tGlNL0&feature=g-upl

Getting on the the actual report

Week 2

Round 1 VS Julian (Rayeel)
I start off going first and pull off a turn 2 night spear, i proceed to go up 3 prizes KOings Tynamos and Eels. After that i start to run out of steam and a key N gives me a useless hand and lets him build back, also getting 2 heads on thunder fang left me useless for 2 turns. In the end i made a misplay with the placement of my energy so that i wouldn't have a blend to KO his Rayquaza EX with my Hydreigon.

0-1

Round 2 VS Darkrai/Hydreigon/Garitina/Garchomp
This guy had a real interesting deck but it was very weak because of everything he was trying to do, he got a Hydreigon up but i just killed i the the next turn and denied him from attacking at all.

1-1

Round 3 Shimpe (Darkrai/Terrakion/Ho-Oh
He also had an interesting concept but I know him as a good player and Im sure it had its merits. As the game turned out he was just 1 energy short ever turn to actually doing anything, he did have to discard 2 energy switches early so that probably made a difference. I swept it 6-0 but it felt that it could have easily been very close.

2-1

Round 4 VS Garchomp or Darkrai/Hydreigon
Now i really cant remember what my opponent played this round, all i can recall is that it came down to me Ning him to 1 and he couldn't do anything. I think I used Reshiram to take the majority of prizes because that's just how amazing it is.

3-1

Round 5 Vs Ricky (Rayeels)
He gets a turn 3 Rayquaza with a fire and 3 lightning to KO my Darkrai but I was somehow able to counter with a turn 3 Night spear to kill his eel. From there on I catcher'ed and killed all his Tynamos/Eels and he was never able to really get going again.

4-1

Round 6 Karl (Darkrai/Hydreigon)
We both get our sableyes going to set up our fields, but he runs out of supporters and I was able to start getting nights spears off to pull ahead. Once he was able to get a Darkrai going I just played my Reshiram and killed it because of 30 i placed on it earlier. After killing that Darkrai and Hydreigon the following turn he had nothing left and lost shortly after.

5-1

So in the end I lost the first round but then won 5, I believed that I would get top 4 but my round 1 opponent went 3-3 and my other opponents didn't do to well so I cam 5th =p.

Week 3

Round 1 VS Gavin (Terrakion)
He gets terrakion ex going but he cant find a second pokemon for a while and my Darkrai with eviolite and Mewtwo are able to take the damage and eventually start to overpower, he does get a second Terrakion ex but at that point he cant accelerate energy on to it without fear of the active Terrakion being KO'd by Darkrai and then letting me KO the other Terrakion with Reshiram next turn. He starts to stall with unpowered Terrakions and loses when i catcher the Terrakions with energy.

1-0

Round 2 Vs Darkrai/Terrakion?
He started off fine and i missed on supporters for a few turns but once i got an N it gave him a bad hand and i set up and start to pull ahead when he cant get energy into play to retaliate.

2-0

Round 3 Eric (Darkrai/Hammers)

I don't get a single supporter and both my dinoes get KO'd and I just never start attacking because his hammers keep me down.

2-1

Round 4 VS Darkrai/Hydreigon
We both get ok starts but when it came to the Darkrai wars I got a Reshiram up and was able to kill his Hydreigon while keeping mine safe. After that he fell behind and couldn't keep up with energy and attacking.

3-1

Round 5 Vs Garbador/Mewtwo/Tornadus
Now this match really got to me, He gets a turn 2 Garbador with a tool so that shut down my normal plan. He starts to attack a Darkrai i left active to stall with while i try to set up another one on the bench. After a few turns I bench a Mewtwo and attach to it assuming that his hand is dead. However he had a catcher which i later find out was 1 of 2 in his deck...Anyways I catcher and hit his garbador and he switches it out and hit my Darkrai with energy. I had healed and attached to my previously damaged Darkrai so I was able to bring it up and attack but he was able to get a 3rd DCE on the Mewtwo to KO the Darkrai. At this point i was down 4 prizes so my last ditch effort was to catcher up his basic Garbador and hope he cant get his 4th switch or 4th DCE and try to set heal and set up Darkrai again with Sableye. However he did get the DCE so I go down 5 prizes. I catcher again and try to stall a bit more and it lasts this time. I set up my Darkrai and then get a double KO on his Garbadors. Now this would have given me a turn to use abilities that would probably let me win the game after killing his Mewtwo but he was able to get a tool scrapper and an energy to kill my Darkrai when I N'd him to 2. Now looking at this game it was not really that good but I just felt really attached to it because it was probably the most epic almost comeback ever....

3-2

Round 6 VS Robert (Terrakion)
He gets Terrakions up but i dont believe he was able to find a 3rd energy. He took the lead in prizes but I was able to keep up with Darkrais with eviolite and max potion and when he does get a plus power to KO it i just get my Shaymin out and that finishes it up.

4-2

Round 7 Cor (Ho-OH!)
I got paired up to my friend so it was kind of rough.
I get a fine start and he starts to spread some damage around with stunfisk and it gives me some problems when he catchers up my Hydreigon and lock it up. I end up healing it after 2 turns and KOing the stunfisk but he cant KO it and then KO his Terrakions with Reshiram. In the end he tries to come back with Mewtwo but I get a Mewtwo and catcher his to do OVER 9000!! damage, approximately.

5-2

I end up coming in 5th but this time I expected it, only one 5-2 made T4 and it was Cor so I felt better for beating him.

Week 4

Round 1 VS Garchomp/Terrakion
He goes first and gets turn to Garchomp to kill my Sableye, then he KOs my dinoe and when i get a Hydreigon up he KO's it right away. All im left with is Darkrais to start attacking and hope to get through his Garchomps. We start trading off hits but when both of my Darkrais have 120 on them i play Shaymin so that i can kill his last Garchomp and then it can't get KO'd by this Terrakion. He uses his 4th catcher to kill the shaymin but after that i just catcher his Terrakion, spear it and KO his Garchomp and because I N'd him to 1 he needed to draw an energy out of 2 cards, but he missed so I was able to finish it up.

1-0

Round 2 VS Darkrai/Hydreigon
We both start off fine but i get a turn 2 night spear to start hurting his setup. I kill is Sableye and his Dinoes because his hand was dead and after he cant get a Hydriegon up his Darkrais were easy to pick off.

2-0

Round 3 VS Garchomp
I start off with lone Shaymin and a no supporter hand and I know she is playing Garchomp so I was feeling pretty bad. However she started with Gible and had to N turn 1 and I drew a very good hand. She wasn't even able to get many basics out so I start on my usual plan of turn 2 night spear. I start to pick off her Gabites before she can evolve and even when she gets Garchomps she cant catcher to try and KO my Hydriegon. Garchomp is in a pretty bad spot if they cant get rid of Hydriegon.

3-0

Round 4 VS RayEels
I start off with Sableye and he tries to slow me down with the paralyze Tynamo and Victini, but he gets double tails so i proceed to set up Hydriegon/Darkrai and KO the Tynamo and hit the Victini. He locks he up with his Raikou EX but the next turn he KO's my Deino so it gives me a free turn where I KO both this eel and Victini. His hand was dead at this point and he couldn't get more eels up so he was just stalling with bodies. The game ended when I was able to catcher his Rayquaza EX with Hydreigon.

Round 5 VS Cor (Ho-OH!)
Well we both went 4-0 and it was nice that we got to play for the win. I start out with lone Deino and get nothing off of supporters so he donks me =p.

4-1

I end up second which is fine, at least its not 5th.

Conclusion
So I did play Darkrai/Hydriegon for all BRs but I feel like i got a fairly good sense of the format.
Looking forwards into regionals (im not going to the first one) I would say that Darkrai/Hydreigon is probably the best deck but I like the idea of eels with Victini because it gives them a 75% chance of locking down Darkrai/Hydreigon and Garchomp and any other deck that doesn't play switch.

Props
Cor
Jack
Ricky
Kabs
Chichi for giving rides
BDA for cards and for judging
Cors dad for driving us to the states
Everybody else who made the events enjoyable!

Slops
Format for being really luck based
Coming 5th twice due to breakers

Last edited:
Back