Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ludicolo, mistranslated?

GGRules!

Just so people know. :cool:

Ludicolo LV.52 – Grass – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Lombre

Poke-Power: Cheerful Singing Voice
You can use this Power once during your turn, if you do, your turn ends. During your next turn, any damage done by this Pokemon's attacks to your opponent's Active Pokemon is increased by 60. This Power can't be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[W][C] Crazy Dance: 20 damage. The Defending Pokemon is now Confused.
[G][C][C]All Out Dance: 60 damage. Remove a number of damage counters from Ludicolo equal to the number of damage counters placed by this attack. Ludicolo can't use All Out Dance during your next turn.

Weakness: Lightning (+30)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

American Version:
http://pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=42264&c=198

Ludicolo's power is changed from "attacks your opponent's Active Pokemon"... to "Attacks the Defending Pokemon" That's a major change as they can now just retreat out of your 60 more damage. I was considering this for states but now I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I never understood the Muk translation. It makes more sense to be AFFECTED, and I think that was just a mis-translation.

I think it's obvious why Ludicolo was changed in text. "attaches your opponent's Active Pokemon" isn't proper on english cards. You won't find it anywhere else. "attacks the defending Pokemon" is the proper use of it, and is most likely what the same idea that the japanese card was trying to get a long, but when it got translated, the meaning was distorted.

This is a good case of why I wait until the english cards come out to start idea-making because it's way to easy to mis-translate a card and totally destroy an idea.

But it would be good to hear from someone who knows japanese to see if these english cards were possibly misworded.

"Defending Pokemon" is something that was added to the English cards. Much like the self referencing rule it has tripped us up in the past and will no doubt trip us up in the future. To be honest I'd much prefer the translations to stay closer to the original Japanese text than to have translation artifices added.

Look at where the effect resides for Ludicolo. Is it on Ludi or the defending poke? Notice that since this is a power, it can be used while Ludi is on the bench. Based on that, it appears the effect sits on Ludi and if that ludi attacks the next turn, it would add 60 damage to damage being done.

Keith

Ludicolo's power is changed from "attacks your opponent's Active Pokemon"... to "Attacks the Defending Pokemon" That's a major change as they can now just retreat out of your 60 more damage. I was considering this for states but now I'm not sure.

No, I do not think they cannot retreat out of it because the card specifically says to add the 60 damage BEFORE applying weakness and resistance. Therefore, it is an effect on Ludicolo (if it would be an effect on the Defending Pokémon. the card would have stated after weakness and resistance, at least this is my interpretation of the card text).

When something says Defending Pokemon... if they retreat.. they are no longer the defending Pokemon, ergo, the effect is no longer there.
So question is... 60 more or just 60?

No, I do not think they cannot retreat out of it because the card specifically says to add the 60 damage BEFORE applying weakness and resistance. Therefore, it is an effect on Ludicolo (if it would be an effect on the Defending Pokémon. the card would have stated after weakness and resistance, at least this is my interpretation of the card text).

QFT

The before/after W/R interaction is well-documented, so there's no need for an errata here. It's an effect on Ludicolo so it applies to any Pokemon it's attacking.

I echo Ian's sentiment that they should be more strict to the Japanese text instead of taking the liberties that WotC started.

Use Power .. end turn...

Next turn attack for 60 more to ANYTHING they have active.

Effect is on Ludi not the Defending poke at the time power was used.

This is a ruling that judges were required to read prior to prerelease.

Gold star for the correct reasoning.

Back