2 : Expert Belt
Stadiums: 2
2 : Broken Time Space
ENERGY: 14
Basic Energy: 10
10 : Lightning Energy
Special Energy: 4
4 : Double Colorless Energy

Ever since I started back up with the game last year, I've always wanted to build decks around my favourite Pokemon. I was glad to learn that there was a great Luxray card in the format and decided to build a deck around it. So lets get to the list, shall we?

First up is the heart of the deck, Luxray from Legends Awakened. It has Stage 2 standard 120 HP and is of the Lightning type. Its Poke-Body, Rivalry, is a big reason why I like the card. If your opponent has any Pokemon Lv X in play, Luxray's attacks do 50 more damage. Its two attacks work well together, as Plasma, for two Colourless Energy, does 40 damage and can attach one Lightning energy from your discard pile to Luxray himself, while for two Lightning Energy and a Colourless Energy, Shock Bolt deals 100 damage while discarding all Lightning Energy attached to him. The card pairs well with Double Colourless Energy, as it lets you cycle the Lightning Energy around for constant damage. Its a decent card, and his Poke-Body makes him especially lethal in the SP Matchup. The Luxio and Shinx I have chosen to pair with this Luxray I think were designed to work together. I can attach a Double Colourless Energy to Shinx in the opening turn and attack with Recharge, which allows me to search the deck for a Lightning Energy and attach it to Shinx. With that, on my following turn, he's setup to evolve into Luxio and use either of his attacks, or straight into Luxray via Rare Candy if I attach another energy to him.

The next card is what I think is Luxray LA's perfect partner, Manectric from Platinum. Its a Stage 1 Lightning Pokemon with 90 HP. His Poke-Body, Electric Barrier, prevents damage to your bench except for Manectrics, which helped to prevent snipes from certain Pokemon in the format, like Garchomp C Lv X. His Power Wave attack isn't that great, but for one Lightning Energy, it can deal 30 damage to each Pokemon in play that has a Poke-Power. The reason I play him, is for his other attack, Attract Current, which for 2 Colourless Energies, deals 40 damage, and can search my deck for a Lightning Energy, and attach it to one of my Pokemon in play. Its perfect for setting up attackers in this deck.

Now, looking at a Lightning deck like this, its obviously got a hard matchup against one sole card, Donphan Prime because of its resistance, its Exoskeleton Poke-Body, and its hard hitting attacks. I have prepared for this by including Lanturn Prime as a direct counter. His Power, Underwater Dive, allows it to turn itself into the Water type for the duration of the turn, and its attack, Powerful Spark, for a Lightning Energy and two Colourless Energies, deals 40 damage, plus 10 damage for each energy you have in play, which even just with the energy to pay for the attack, can deal enough damage to knock out a Donphan without trouble in one hit.

Rotom is here to aid with Luxray's energy cycling. After using a Shock Bolt, I can switch Rotom in to instantly grab the energy back and place it back on Luxray with his Dual Trans attack. It helps when I need to save Luxray from damage by retreating it to the bench and instantly charge it back up for another Shock Bolt.

Now, for the Trainers, I've been juggling these around a lot while I've been playing the deck and I think what I've chosen here is the most consistant.

Four Poke-Drawer+ to search my deck for what I need at a given time, comboing it with Junk Arm to reuse them and get the search effect off more often

Three Rare Candy because its staple in evolution based decks, but in my testing, I found 4 to be too much.

Two Junk Arm because its a great card. Reusing trainers helps me out a lot when it helps me get setup quicker, or to just dig through my deck for what I need later on in the game.

Four Communication to make sure I have the right Pokemon for each situation.

Two Collector to grab the basics I need quickly.

Two Engineer's Adjustments to add a little draw power to the deck and to get energy into the discard pile for Luxray and Rotom.

Two Professor Oak's New Theory as a general hand replenisher, or to get me out of bad hands.

Two Judge for mostly the same reason as PONT, but also to disrupt my opponent.

Two Bebe's Search to easily get any Pokemon I need from the deck.

Two Expert Belt to add onto the damage with Luxray and Manectric and push for KOs, as well as add to their HP.

Two BTS to speed up getting out evolutions. I don't run anymore because I've found that with more, I draw into them way more often than I need to and I don't always have a Junk Arm, PONT or Judge to get them out of my hand when I don't need them.

While playing the deck, I've always played 10 Lightning Energy and 4 DCE. I feel its a good number for the deck.

I've had a lot more success in my eyes with this rogue deck than I ever thought I would. Its fun to play, and I will honestly miss it when it leaves us in the coming rotation. Just thought I'd share it for the people who may have the cards who want to play something from the old format in their leagues next week, before the rotation hits the week after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back