Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Magma/Aqua in current modified

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGame

Apart from the obvious cards i.e. Blaziken ex, Entei ex,Dble rainbow energy etc. which cards do you feel will make it into good modified constructed decks and which ones will be mainly only good for draft? It seems to me that this set is not going to greatly change the current metagame apart from some of the cards I have already mentioned or do you feel that a Magma or Aqua deck can cut it in the current environment? Thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

I don't think Entei EX will have much of an effect, but you are unfortunately correct about Blaziken EX. I am not completely sold on DRE, but I am sure there will be decks where it will work well.

It may be possible to build an Aqua speed deck that utilizes the special trainers (particularly Archie). I like the idea of a Manectric/Sharpedo/Kyogre deck (it may even be possible to add Mighthyena) where all the Pokemon can use the Darkness energy, but I have doubts whether it can cope with Blaziken or even Gardevoir.

I don't see much to like on the Magma side of things.

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well! Kyogre could be a big noise combined with Manectric but in my opinion its still gonna be Gardevoir,BAR (for a while!), Aggron/Aggron ex/Wailord, etc. More opinions?

I don't like Entei ex. Suicune ex looks good. So do all the starter exs. Sceptile should now really beat Gardevoir if it didn't before. Sceptile ex looks really good, just gotta see how it can cope with Blaze decks now...
Swampert ex looks good, it has type ad against Aggron ex and Amphy ex, the 3rd and 4th best decks right now IMO. 5 nrg for 100 is probably too slow against Blaziken and is asking for Gardevoir. Have to see if DRE will have any affect. The Aqua/Magma pokemon at first glance look too weak to make a deck around. Its possible that there are just so many benefits from their trainers that they can be more consistant decks than normal. If not now, maybe next rotation.

I expect to see heavy play of Blaziken ex and moderate play of Swampert ex, Sceptile ex, and Cradily ex. Suicune ex is good, but I think he can only work properly in unlimited with Blastoise and the Energy Flow/Pokémon Center combo to keep him alive. Double Rainbow energy really doesn't seem like a good card to me... does anyone really see any Pokémon that it makes a big difference when used with. I also expect Aqua's Manectric to replace EXP Amphy in a lot of BAR decks, as well as seeing play with Blaze/ex decks so you can use Volcanic Ash every turn.

Overall, this set will heavily promote decks of the 3 starters (good for Scept and Swamp, but there is already WAY too much Blaze...), combo-ing them with their ex counterparts. Gardevoir ex will probably become even more popular in order to hurt Blaziken ex decks, but Sceptile ex owns Gardy decks, Blaziken ex owns Scept ex (as well as most other decks), Swampert ex and Kingdra ex own Blaze ex... all of these decks have their weaknesses to other decks that will see a big amount of play, so none of them are totally dominant. Unfortunately, I expect to see Blaziken ex to come out on top.

Last edited:
Swampert ex is fighting type and Blazy ex is not weak to water...

I think a lot of Aqua cards will be played as well with Archie in the deck, it'll be pretty fast. Hmm....Archie + Water Call Swampert anyone?

Last edited:
Xeno said:
Swampert ex is fighting type and Blazy ex is not weak to water...

Mine is certainly weak to water and psychic (but it is possible that you meant to say fighting!).

Xeno said:
IArchie + Water Call Swampert anyone?

Archie only works for Aqua's Pokemon, so to get good use out of it you won't have space for Swampert in the same deck.

Oy, I meant that Swampert ex is fighting type and blazy ex is not weak to fighting. I'm thinking too fast for my fingers to type, oy...

I think The Swarmpert line might fit in if you only use Archie to get out stage 1 Aqua Pokies and not have any basic Aqua Pokies. It's just an idea I'm thinking about to make a fast water deck, I don't have the right Aqua cards to make it yet.
Maybe something like...
4 Mudkip
4 Marshtomp
3 Swampert
4 Aqua's Sharpedo
4 Archie
Add in more stuff and it might work....

Last edited:
Xeno said:
I think The Swarmpert line might fit in if you only use Archie to get out stage 1 Aqua Pokies and not have any basic Aqua Pokies. It's just an idea I'm thinking about to make a fast water deck, I don't have the right Aqua cards to make it yet.

That might work, I would suggest using Walrein specifically. This is partly because the voluntary discard works well with Swampert, partly because he isn't weak to electric (the double weakness is still a problem). You could then have Swampert EX to handle Aggron EX.

I don't know about Walrein...getting a stage 2 out gets two damage counters on it and it has double weakness. That's 100 hp left and both its weakness is quite popular around my area. People like Ampharos ex, Wurmple lines, Cradily, and Sceptile(My fav grass deck so far is Sceptile).

Xeno said:
People like Ampharos ex, Wurmple lines, Cradily, and Sceptile(My fav grass deck so far is Sceptile).

That is the exact idea: Walrein is weak to metal and fighting! You could get around the fighting weakness by also getting some Sealeos, but my point is that Walrein's second attack fits the power so well and that there was no overlapping weakness.

Wait...it's weak to metal and fighting?! I didn't know that...
Seems like your idea could work though I rather have Sharpedo doing like 60 first turn it is played.(if i have a dark and two SWampy's on the bench)

blazzy ex ISN't weak to water? [Edit] hell!!!

what is it :fighting: :psychic: weakness or something?

Rules are rules and you should know better than to post inappropriate words(or the starring of).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies guys, most helpful and interesting! As was said,if anyone runs an Aqua deck it will pretty much HAVE to have Archie in it. Possibly TA Kyogre/ TA Manectric/ TA Sharpedo with Archie and plenty of draw might cut it.

if blaziken ex is banned... these cards should have a decent impact on the metagame:

TA's Lanturn. Pure speed right here, the power is 0wnage imo. We'll see how it works, though I can see it being abused with archie. The attack isn't great, but u can power it up while powering somethign else up. What wins in modified? Energy manipulation. Lanturn has just this.

Same goes for TM's Camerupt btw.

Sceptile ex. Wow, what a BEAST! Especially with energy trans sceptile, I think this can work big. I think that if its fast enough (boost nrg comes to mind) this could really be competitive, even against BAR, as it ohko's rayquazza w/o a shard, and blaziken only dealts it 100 dmg. The same u can deal it. Just pack in some switch/warp energies/free retreaters, and go to work.

Swampert is going to get popular I think with all the new water stuff, which allows Swampy ex to get some play as a counter to its weaknesses. Very nice card too, only 1 weakness is great ^_^

Kyogre/Groudon... hmm, I think Groudon could see some play, and Kyogre can benefit nicely from swampert, so we'll see how they go. I really do like them both, but I dunno how they'll fair.

Of course, the new trainers are very very good, most of them will see use.

All of this depends on whether or not blaziken ex is banned though, if its not banned, then all these decks simply lose, lol.

I think the whole Swampert/Aqua'sWalrein/Archie will do well. I also think that Swampy/EX/SuicuneEX/etc decks will do descently. It may just be my buyest opinion, but I think Swampert has really found some descent uses since the release of Aq/Ma! w/ all the possible combos w/ the Aqua cards, those decks will be some formidable opponents!
-Swampy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back