Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Magmortar lvl X ruling

The cards second attack reads

Flame Buster -Discard 2 fire energy attached to Magmortar: Choose of your opponent's Pokemon. This attack does 100 damage to that pokemon. (don't apply weakness and resistance for Benched Pokemon) During your next turn Magmortar can't use Flame Buster.

What I am wondering is with the text at the bottom saying it cannot use the attack next turn, if you warp point/switch then bring it up, are you able to use Flame Buster again?

yes. you can use flame bluster against b/c if magmortar hits the bench then the effect of it not using that attack again goes away.

Uh... I don't think so.
I don't know what the official ruling is, but in the past, if that's the case, the parenthetical text "Benching _____ ends this effect." would be put in the attack text if that was the case.
I'm pretty sure that Benching doesn't cancel the effect. Removing from play and replaying (Though this is impossible in the case of a Lv.X) would do it, but Benching doesn't.

The effect goes away when Mag is benched. Therefore, if switched out and then returned to active, it could attack the next turn.

Keith

its right BThoy
it doesnt say benching ends the effect of agility either, but we know that works
benching ends it

Benching removes all effects of attacks on that pokemon.

If I get heads with Agility and then get sent to the bench, I become vulnerable again.

Nope there isn't a ruling in the current compendium that is why I brought the question to the forums.

The relevant rule is actually in the rulebook - to quote, "When your Active Pokemon goes to the bench...some things about it go away - Special Conditions (Asleep, Burned, Confused, Paralyzed, and Poisoned) and anything else other than damage that might be the result of an attack some Pokemon made earlier."

I direct you to this from the Compendium:

== AQUA SLASH (Team Aqua's Sharpedo - EX:Team Magma/Team Aqua)

Q. Team Aqua's Sharpedo's "Aqua Slash" attack states that Team Aqua's Sharpedo can't attack next turn. But if I retreat to a new Pokémon and then come back with him can I attack again with Aqua Slash?
A. Effects like this go away when the active goes to the bench. So if Team Aqua's Sharpedo goes to the bench and becomes active once again, he can then use Aqua Slash on that turn. (Apr 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Same basic idea/concept I think. Granted, the above scenario is slightly different, but still the same principle idea of attack effects being removed if you retreat to the bench and then send them up again.

The parenthetical text is just a reminder, much like (Ignore weakness and resistance for benched pokemon.) It reminds you about a game rule.

Back