Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Malaysian Master's Report

ice_brakerz

After missing out on last years worlds due to judgemental error, i knew that i was going to worlds this year even if it meeant grinding so i did not presurize myself to win and it was probably because of this mentality i actually did well this year

2 weeks before nats
I came back from UK, knowing that i will participate in Malaysian nationals, had only one deck wif me at that time and that was a standard GG, i knew i was so screwed up, with no deck, no play testing (cause i just finished my finals) plus GREAT Arch Rivals that were extremely good. I began net decking and discussed strategies with my team mates. I then made a few standard decks but i felt that they were not good enough so my bext chance was still Absollade

9 days before nats
MD is offically released PLUS........ its legal for NATS..... OMG...... by that time i really do not know what metagame it would be!!!!!!!!!!!! still going wif plox... because of consistency. Made more decks due to great card support from my teammates. It was down to plox, arithmetic and 2 different SDs

a day before nats
realised how little play testing we did, so i asked my team mates over for playtesting which lasted for 11 hours (just like grinders) ....... at the last hour i finally finalised my deck list for nats ....... it was a major change in structure, the addition one cards and taking out some useless cards proved to be the vital element in me winning. Plus i was already so tired by then i did not play test the new deck, i was thinking if i could make it to top cut with this that would have already been a great acheivement.

Morning of nats
LOL..... i was so unconfident with the deck because i did not play test it, i had to flip a coin to decide what to play and both times it told me to play PLOX, but i dunno why i still went wif the SD, and i know that i would be scared of one deck only EMPOLEON :eek:

Game 1 - Azelias (Empoleon)
I got a good hand start, and i though i could T2 him, had a great bench and all BUT....... i came to an energy drought from T3 onwards and he won as my basics could had a low life span and my evolved pokemon had no energy to attack

0-1:frown:

At this point i though i was gone case...... and though that i should have gone wif plox instead.... losing the first game almost means GG especially only with a top 4 cut

Game 2 - Sorry i forgot your name (Empoleon/Floatzel)
Yes EMPOLEON AGAIN........ :confused:............. but this time i managed to T2 him with lockdown, he could not do anything apart from agility which i keep warping FTW

1-1:redface:

Game 3- Yew Ming (Arithmetic)
One of the hardest matchups i played in the whole nationals, we both had t2 starts and the game could have gone either way, but the best thing was i lockdowned him, he did not play any windstorms plus he had an energy drought at the end of the game meant that i was able to pull home the last prize when time was call. He is definatelty and up and coming player :smile:

2-1:smile:

Game 4- Adwin Lim (GG)
I T2 lockdowned him........ he could only sonic blade and then cut through a two of my pokemons before i blisseyed him FTW... as he did not play any windstorms

3-1:rolleyes:

lol..... i was hoping that i could get a favourable match up that would somehow allow me to sneak into top 4 was praying hard

Game 5- Kent Ng (Ampharos/Weavile)
i did not expect anybody to play any dark decks today and OMG..... my final round of swiss i have to play against it...... but luckily i T1 lockdown him once again and blisseyed him FTW as he could not response to my speed plus his powers were all locked downed.

At this stage there were 3 4-1s WITH ONE game still on, one player had a record of 3-1 whereby if he won he would also have been 4-1 and would have contended with a T4 stop, whilst the other had a record of 2-2 which meant that if he won then i would be confirmed t4. When time was called he was leading by prize and he won which meant that i made it into T4. YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!!!

After that it was deck check and OMG i had to face one of the strongest opponents on the field, the defending Malaysian Champion

Semi- Finals- Yee Wei (Fossil Lock)
Game 1- 25 mins
He gets a fossil attaches a fighting for kabuto and attacks 40 to my chansey, i attached called to chansey, locked downe him and called for 2 other basics, he finds another fossil, attaches another energy and does another 40 to chansey, i evolved and use some trainers, didn't get what i need, attaches to bench and attacked for 40. He benches the kabuto, and brough out another to KO it.

Mid game i don't really remember... but i know at the end he was 1 prize and i was 2 ..... i couldn't draw anything to save me and he won

0-1

Game 2- 20 mins
This time i had a better hand, chansey again but i opted to go second so i could castaway for lock down, he went first did nothing and passed , i T1 locked down him, plus called for bench. He evloved into somthing in the bench and attaches energy, used holon fossil to get more stuff out and passed, i eveolved and happy chance. He then used send back whereby i pulled out my shuppet as i alreadh have a warp point in my hand. I warped him and attached an energy to shuppet to discard and happy chanced......

1-1

Mid game it was really closed, he brough out kabutops but i ghost headed him and in the end after that i blisseyed him FTW, yippeee....... i knew that from that moment who drew more prizes in the third game could be the winner due to the time could be called so i told myself just draw as many prizes don't care who you have to sacrifies

Game 3
this time i had a shuppet start with mentor, he choose to start first attaches energy and evolves into omanyte, i mentored for bench, T1 locked down him and accession, he attaches and sends me back, i castway from energy and cessy and evolves into blissey for 30. He benches more but could not do anything major sends me back again, i have a banette ready to spiteful pain

In the end i know i was already down to my last prize and he still had 3 he could not do anything and offers his hand for a shake

2-1

YIPPEE!!!!! Invite to worlds :D
the other semis finished and ampharos/brongzong woned..... i kinda hope that he would win caused it would have been a more favourable matchup for me, but he was playing the runner up of last year. However when time was called he was annouced the winner, match detyails i do not know

Finals- Yik Heng (Ampharoz/ Brongzong)
Game 1
T1 locked down, attach call to chansey and called for bascis, he attaches and tundershock me, i evolve and happy chanced him FTW

1-0

Game 2
Same as above, i basically T1 locked down him FTW

2-0

OMG OMG OMG I WON I WON I WON I WON...... after losing the first round i though i was GONE CASE..... BUT I WON I WON I WON..... YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Propz
Me for losing R1 and still winning
Best Team Mates in the world
Great Judges and Staff
Shock on ppls faces when they saw that i was backed
Richard for card support and play testing
Hui Long for support and play testing
Fabian for Play testing :biggrin:

Slopz
Richard for going 0-2 and then dropping
None of my other team mates making into TOP CUT
Broken Trophy which have to be replaced

I AM GOING TO ORLANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YA TAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Congrats on winning, Lip ye!

Hope to see you in Orlando & represent Team Asia/Pacific =D

Thanks everybody for the congratulations.... unfortunately i would not be back in time to staff (i would love to if i could)......... see you guys at worlds :D

GO GO GO UK!!!!!!!

Poliwhirl says that any trainer who can beat his water friends by using a team containing a discarded doll and something that fell out of a chicken's bottom must indeed be a a very great trainer indeed :thumb:

Back