Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Markham and Oshawa BR Reports

smacktack15

Markham and Oshawa BR Reports

So for the 6th/7th tournaments in a row, I decide to use DialgaChomp with a few tech cards like Staraptor, Contest Hall, and Cyrus' Initiative. I really enjoy this deck and I think I can easily say that it is the BDIF. I love how it has so many outs and it just has a really great flow through the WHOLE game. Anyways, on to the report:

Tournament: Markham, ON BR Autumn 2010
Player: Zachary Lesage
Division: Masters
Deck: DialgaChomp
Rds: 5 rds w/ top 4

Rd. 1 vs ??? w/ Donphan/Arcanine
So it is round 1 and I get to battle a less-experienced played but, I have such a weird hand. I have very little to work with but, I can easily get a Smeargle out so I am all good right??? WRONG!!! His hand is uber dead except for Prof Elm's Training Method which does not ever help my deck out. I continue to play the match out using my Call for a solid 2 turns to thin my deck out and I eventually top deck an SP Radar which allows me to get out Staraptor FB Lv.X. I use it, retreat to my Staraptor FB, Lvl Up, and I can start a Cyrus Chain. From there on, he continues to draw dead and I take a strong lead on him and win the game a few turns later. GG.

1-0

Rd. 2 vs Robin M-B w/ Charizard
Well, I feel like I have a pretty good edge vs Charizard (or fire-type in general) because my deck isn't a traditional DialgaChomp, giving me many more outs to my worst match-ups. I get a Garchomp start with Contest Halls and Skuntank which allows me to KO his bench while I slowly kill his active. Robin doesn't have the best hand in the world and is forced to use his Spiritomb to get set-up. I continue my game plan by Poisoning his Tomb and Sniping his Bench with D-Rush. The game continues in this pattern for a few more turns and Robin is finished. GG Robin.

2-0

Rd. 3 vs Nick K (my crew) w/ LuxChomp + techs
Nick and I built this LuxChomp deck the morning of the tournament @ about 3 AM so we are like UGH lol. I think LuxChomp is an unfavourable match-up if it is equal deck, equal knowledge of mirror and equal player but, I believe my deck had a slight edge, I know mirror (Garchomp decks are basically mirror), and I am a superior player so the overall match should be in my favour. I was pretty much right because half-way through the game, Nick can't keep up with my DCE's and has to sack up an Azelf to power up one of his Pokemon and I take a huge lead by using Lock-Up on his Azelf. Nick basically gets another turn to power up one of his Pokemon but, I only lose one energy for the sake of a free prize and a counter-KO. Nick can't do anything after that and I take the win. GG.

3-0

Rd. 4 vs Alaric M-B w/ Machamp
I have ToxiTank in my deck which makes me feel comfortable in this match-up but, my hand isn't fantastic and he gets a Machamp Lv.X Chain to kill me off every time. I only draw 3 prizes but, his start was too good and his Champ X Chain was unstoppable. Well, at least I have an excuse, "I was playing SP and lost to Machamp" LOL!!! GG Alaric :p

3-1

Rd. 5 vs Marcel L (my dad) w/ DialgaChomp + techs
I have a Skuntank DCE start and I get T1/T2 donked by a Dragonite FB. I guess I can't be too sad, at least someone from my crew made cut XD GG Dad :)

3-2

So I drop in case there is a chance I can make cut which allows me to go to the 2nd BR on the same day in Oshawa, ON. Adam A's mom generously gives my crew a ride (Nick K, Jacob L, and myself), Curtis L, and her son (Adam A) a ride to Oshawa. This is what I love about tournaments in Ontario, it seems everyone pitches in so we can all hit up as many tournaments as possible. During the ride, I ask everyone in the car what I should exchange my sideboard of cards for in my deck and I get a bit of help. I basically decided on removing 2 Toxicroak G PL and a Psychic Energy for a Promocroak, a Power Spray, and a Cyrus' Initiative.

Tournament: Oshawa, ON BR Autumn 2010
Player: Zachary Lesage
Division: Masters
Deck: DialgaChomp
Rds: 5 rds w/ top 4

Rd. 1 vs Ian D w/ Charizard
Well, I guess I get to see if Charizard can hit as hard as some say...well, that really isn't the case this time either :/ Ian has a pretty dead hand and I can turn 2 Dragon Rush his Charmeleon with 2 Fire Energy. The match consists of Ian struggling to set-up, I use Initiative to control whatever he could *potentially* set-up and I take the game. Ian went on to go 3-2 which he was quite proud of. GG Ian and congrats on doing well.

1-0

Rd. 2 vs Matt K w/ Feraligatr/Legends
Hmm, interesting deck piloted by a very good player, weird lol. I start the game off decently with Deafen and Poison while he sets-up and the Poison seems to really hurt his deck. In the middle of the game, I mis-read Gatr's attack and think it does 60 + 1 for each counter on Gatr and Matt draws a prize that I could have otherwise avoided :/ Either way, it doesn't set me back much and I continue to draw prizes and he can't keep up. GG Matt and a very interesting deck :)

2-0

Rd. 3 vs Jeff ? w/ Machamp/Donphan
Ugggggggh, its Machamp and I JUST...repeat JUST!!! took out my 2 Toxicroaks considering the field looked like a Champ-free zone ://////// Well, I notice his Phanphy on the bench early and I think I might have a chance after he whiffs the turn 1 Champ. I can't do too much other than Deafen and the game continues to a point where I am leading, slightly. There is one point in the game where I bring my Staraptor out and grab my Initiative to take his lone fighting energy out of his hand and I have to say, that one energy being at the bottom of his deck really gave me the edge that put me in a 100% win condition. GG/

3-0

Rd. 4 vs David-John E w/ LuxChomp
I would write out a huge description for this match but, there isn't anything exciting to write about. I get a pretty good start, so does he, he draws a few prizes, I counter back...he stalls with an Azelf and can't keep up. WHY THE HECK DO PEOPLE STALL WITH AZELF??? Either way, I Lock him up and he can't draw anything. I try to Initiative him but, he has multiples of everything but, I only played it because there was a chance he could have drawn into a DCE or some other really good mirror card. I win the game not to long after I snipe both of his Luxrays. GG

4-0

Rd. 5 vs Alaric M-B w/ Machamp
UGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGGH!!!!11!!11!1!1111!11111 x 9001
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?!?!?! Ugh, I guess I have to try to win on the off chance my hand is GODLY and his hand is mediocre...Well, this is that off chance. Alaric whiffs the T1 Champ and I start sniping his Machops as he struggles to find what he needs. I use Initiative to put some cards away but, he top decks Uxie...still nothing considering all of his Machops are gone. He eventually gets a Machamp out but, I can snipe around and we call it a game. GG Alaric :p

5-0

So I make cut as 1st Seed, Peter is 2nd Seed, David-John is 3rd Seed, and Curtis is 4th Seed

TOP 4 vs Curtis L w/ Houndoom/Umbreon/Weavile/Sableye (Sablock variant)

Top cut for the semi-finals and the finals is 45 mins, I better play smart.

G1: I have a good start but, he screws my hand over big time and uses Chatot G to worsen my case :/ I scoop about 12 mins in. I lose.

G2: I have a better hand but, the same thing happens except he doesn't play a Chatot G down which allows me to top deck into a Bebe's for an Azelf to grab an Uxie (Time Walk countered his moves pretty well). I draw a bunch of helpful stuff from there on and time gets called. I make a misplay vs his Umbreon (I thought he used his 1st attack and not his 2nd) but, it didn't matter too much as Curtis was way behind in Prizes. I win.

G3: He starts with a Houndoor and hits me for 10. I have a Dialga Start, play a Contest Hall down, play a Skuntank down, and I get a heads on Contest Hall for a Chomp + Gain. I attach DCE on Chomp, play a Bebe's hit an Uxie and use set-up to hit the Turn for a T1 donk. GG Curtis

6-0

Top 2 vs Peter B w/ DialgaChomp

Yay, Peter and I both wanted to face in the finals with our DialgaChomps and we got just that. On to the matches...

G1: Peter has a good start and so do I but, during the prize trade-off, I whiff a DCE and I scoop. I rarely ever give a game up so fast but, with a 45 minute top cut, time is the most important factor. I lose.

G2: I have a very good start and I am especially happy when I Time Walk and see an Energy Exchanger and a DCE XD. The game is similar to Game 1 but, the complete opposite, Peter is the one who whiffed the early DCE to counter me back and I secure a win as he has no answers to my DCE-heavy start. Peter scoops, I win.

G3: I have another good start and Peter has a rough start, he doesn't even have an initial DCE and he scoops after I have drawn 3 prizes or so. GG Peter

7-0

So I win my 15th BR ever and my 3rd BR of the season. I went a total of 32-6 throughout BRs and ya, it was really fun.

For my deck, I might take out Smeargle for something that doesn't rely on my opponent's hand such as Sableye, Chatot, or maybe even Jirachi. I might also add in a Cynthia's Guidance for a late game DCE w/ Staraptor but, I am still unsure about it though. Either way, I love my deck and it's skeleton is superb, I can't wait to play a few more games with it!

Props:
15 BR wins
3rd Typhlosion Medal
3 undefeated BR wins with DialgaChomp
DialgaChomp
Staraptor FB Lv.X
Beating MACHAMP XDXDXDXD
Colman for letting my crew borrow cards
Nick K for late testing every time xD
Chris Fulop for sharing some of his thoughts during week 1 of the BR season
My dad for making top 4 at Markham and for the ride
Adam's mom for the ride to Oshawa
Jacob for winning his like 25th Victory Medal lol
Marvin for well-run tournaments
Kevin L for judging
The great people and friends I have met through this game
Thanksgiving weekend in Canada

Slops:
Machamp
Arceus
Machamp
...Machamp
...Machamp

I actually don't hate Machamp and Arceus that much but, I do dislike them lol

nice job! my friend chris took what he said was your list to a battle roads here in oregon last weekend, and honestly I would love to see it myself :D I too have been playin dialga chomp and would like to see the differences in our lists, as mine has been doing only OK so far.

nice job! my friend chris took what he said was your list to a battle roads here in oregon last weekend, and honestly I would love to see it myself :D I too have been playin dialga chomp and would like to see the differences in our lists, as mine has been doing only OK so far.

I'll PM you.

Thanks for the congrats everyone and remember, all Unown's can be Grass type, that is their true Hidden Power.

Back