Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Matias' Coral Springs GC Report...

Matias

Thx for reading my very first report ever.
Ok, I get there like at 10 am, knowing with like 100000 days of anticipation I was playing Flariados at least for this, my first GC of the season ( sorry, my first GC EVER!!). I go inside BRAD'S and the first face I see is... OMG! its william hung! the rumors were real! (...:confused: ). Whatever..
I had my deck list ready from the night before (we stayed at BRADS 'til like 8:30 PM...) I say hi to all the familiar faces, do some trading, turn in my deck list, get a raffle ticket (BTW, I won 5 Deoxys packs, with nothing good on them), steal Colton's seat at the Altavilla's table and play a quick match against Antonia. I win, she gets mad (she says *whatever, you still playin that deck?*). After that I do some more traiding and try to rematch Antonia knowing she was going to refuse...

*Round One Pairings are UP!!* (As we walk to the lists, I ask antonia: *wouldnt it be sooooo funny If I get to play u on this round?* My psychic powers actually worked, I laugh for like 1 minute ('k thats too much) and walk to the table.

Round 1 - Antonia Altavilla (Mew EX/ Machop/Machoke)

I start with a lone spinarak, attach, stun poison her active lone machop (?), works (PRLZ & PSN), she plays no basic, passes, I draw an ariados... reactive poison, GG

1-0

Round 2 - Omar (Queens/Pidgeot DS)

I was really scared as I was walking to tbl 2... I played Omar a couple times before and we all know he is really good. I start with spinarak, go first, stun poison pidgey (?) and we admin and copycat eachother for like 4 turns... thanks god he had 2 nidoran female prized. His deck is like totally against special conditions, evo flame, etc so I just build up a flareon and hit for 70 a couple times, then with BF out I KO his 2 queens with 2 flariados combos (weakness) and actually win!! yay!!

2-0

**Lunch** TEAM BRADS goes to Mc. Donalds, Anthony bothers everyone with his camera....

Round 3 - Larry Altavilla (Claydol/Corpish/QS pidgeot)

He couldnt do much since I always had BF out ( No QS!! yay!!) I preety much KO everything with my initial ariados. GG

3-0

Round 4 - Colton ( LBS with some misdreavus)

I preety much get a really bad start, misplay here and there, he sets up quick, I draw no Stadiums to counter or stop. GG ( I was actually expecting this)

3-1

Round 5 - Jim Roll (Medicham EX/Houndoom lone)

This was actually the most fun match of the day. At one point, I almost lost cause of a lone spinarak, I stun poison... HEADS!!! we keep KOing eachother but at the end he had some lack of energy and I played a ER2. GREAT GAME! Nice meeting you!:thumb:
Right next to us, Colton loses on t1 against Larry...

4-1

Im like scared because there is a ton of ppl with a chance of having a 4-1 record to make it into the top 4 and I didnt know what my resistance exactly was. I though I was getting fifth... All of a sudden, I look at the standings and.... OMG!! First Place Before Top Cut!! ( I actually had the exact same resistance Colton had but somehow the computer placed me on 1st!! yay!!)
Ok, top for is:
Me ( Flariados)
Colton (LBS)
Kyle (LBS)
Larry (Claydol)

As you all can see, the best possible match actually was Larry because I already had defeated him and he wasnt playing LBS and thx to resistance I actually got to play him...

Semifinals (Best of 3)

1- I cant set up, lose with a lone spinarak!!! 4-2
2- Pretty much like before, he couldnt set up cause of BF. 5-2
3- I actually build up a Flariados and finally use it, he cant evolve none of his like 7 basics. 6-2

YAY!! Finals! I really didnt even expect to make top cuts (even if it was top 8), we had a ton of really good and competitive players in the house. I really got to say Im happy to actually get up to this point, considering I came back into the game after 2 years of absence by the end of Jan. '06.

Finals - Kyle (LBS with some island cave, agrrrrr (actually really popular stadium right now)

1- I BF the table the entire game, I go for his searching tool, Hirachi with the search evo attk, hes bench is full of porygon2, pidgeot, onix, something else. I dont KO nothing till I'm sure I can make it and I actually did. 7-2
2- Had to do some crazy suicidal moves and I actually lost ( he built 2 blastoise this time)
3- Had to kill flareon once again, pretty much the same as game 2. GG, had tons of fun here too, with a ton or two of nerves. All 3 games were tight. Congrats Kyle, you really deserve it!:thumb:

So I get 2nd place :)clap: ) Still really happy about my achievement.

Props:

Great organization, as always! ( Heidi, srry for the deck thing right before finals, it really wasnt my intention)
Spinarak's t1 stun poison (yay!)
Making top cuts!
Famous ppl in the house
Some players dropping their flariados to get into new stuff
BF!
Lil' "J" winning a trip!!
Only player defeating Larry
lost only against LBS
I still got 2 more chances
Geting a ride to Kissimmee with Michelle as a 2nd place prize!!
Anthony pulling a Pika * from the 16 packs I won.

Slps:

Low # of players
Ppl dropping

PS: Sorry about any spelling/context error.

Last edited:
moza said:
Good JOb! What was the Claydol deck about?

Im really sorry, but i never got to see anything but claydol (w copycat power), pidgeot QS, Corphish.
However, he went 4-1 so seems like he couldnt set up in any of our 4 games...

It was Crawdaunt EX/Pidgeot/CLaydol and the only reason it did so well because it played noone good... Sorry but its the truth...

Dark Sneasel said:
It was Crawdaunt EX/Pidgeot/CLaydol and the only reason it did so well because it played noone good... Sorry but its the truth...
I really dont know if it has potential or not, I would love to see it at work.

Actually NO...Dark Sneasel and Ryan, I faced Matt (I guess he wasn't any good), Jim Roll (I guess he wasn't any good either),
Anthony C. (horrible) and Colton (definately no good)?? Look it was a risk building a deck that had
very few POPULAR and inexpensive cards but it is a deck that when I bring out a CLAYDOL is almost
totally unstoppable...Like you saw in GAME 1 of our SEMI'S Matt! Sceppy even saw it in a little side match but could do VERY little...so I guess it wasn't my Holon's Dragtrode. Even Bianchi expected
to see me use that. I dared to be different and made Top 4...I'll be in Kissimmee, I look forward to seeing everyone there. Congrats to Kyle (Colton is still stunned), Ryan and Jared on a fabulous day!
Congrats to you, Matt for going so far...don't give up on that deck! It's a PROVEN winner!! BTW...Antonia went 2-3 Sunday...she tried...she's no Miranda and everyone knows it, why are you blasting her so much?

Last edited:
I don't see why people think I'm a good player, I'm a horrible one :(

GJ at getting 2nd...stupid Battle Frontier...

larrya said:
Actually NO...Dark Sneasel and Ryan, I faced Matt (I guess he wasn't any good), Jim Roll (I guess he wasn't any good either),
Anthony C. (horrible) and Colton (definately no good)?? Look it was a risk building a deck that had
very few POPULAR and inexpensive cards but it is a deck that when I bring out a CLAYDOL is almost
totally unstoppable...Like you saw in GAME 1 of our SEMI'S Matt! Sceppy even saw it in a little side match but could do VERY little...so I guess it wasn't my Holon's Dragtrode. Even Bianchi expected
to see me use that. I dared to be different and made Top 4...I'll be in Kissimmee, I look forward to seeing everyone there. Congrats to Kyle (Colton is still stunned), Ryan and Jared on a fabulous day!
Congrats to you, Matt for going so far...don't give up on that deck! It's a PROVEN winner!! BTW...Antonia went 2-3 Sunday...she tried...she's no Miranda and everyone knows it, why are you blasting her so much?

It never was my intention to "blast" antonia, I just wrote that because it was a really funny coincidence. If you guys take it so serious, I guess it would be better to stop having a nice social relationship and start ignoring eachother before it really gets big. That really hurts me a lot because I dont know about you guys but I play pokemon for fun and meet new people that share my hobby. If I made top cut and beat you a couple times it was pure luck, you are totally right. I really dont want to have any issues with anyone, and I'm proud to say I dont...:smile:

larrya said:

im not saying they werent good even though half the people u mentioned beat you,im just saying u played noone with a proven record...Granted Colton won a States but you also T1 luck saced him and winnign a states in georgia is like...well...beatign a blind kid @ "I spy".... i mean i hate to sound like a bad guy but the deck is horrible. theres no synergy.....

P.S. Dont ever, ever refer to your deck as "New magma" or w/e. There was a distinct difference they built there based on metagame choices...you built your based on how pretty cards looked... But then Again you also used to play Walrein/Muk ex so it is to be expected....

I'm sorry Matt. I must have misunderstood what you wrote. We are looking forward to
seeing everyone again in Kissimmee to try it all over again!!

larrya said:
I'm sorry Matt. I must have misunderstood what you wrote. We are looking forward to
seeing everyone again in Kissimmee to try it all over again!!

Im really glad to read this Larry, I really apreciate all of you guys. See ya!:thumb:

ok...

No way is it even close to a New magma...but it really is pretty!!!:cool:
It is a deck and it worked...what else is there to say??:thumb:
Hope to see you in Kissimmee.:smile:

Back