Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Matt Yuen's El Segundo, CA cities report

Matt Yuen

so, i hadn't played in a premiere event since August didn't really have any of the new cards. I didn't know what to play because the metagame was brand new. i saw Lik win Pasadena with an Armaldo deck and thought it was pretty good. i decided to play it, but with a holon engine.

the master's division has 31 players and is going to 4 rounds with a top 8 cut with match play.

round 1 , nick with a flygon ex, eeveelution deck.

he gets a pretty good start, gets a flygon ex going. i didn't even know what it did and was surpised sand damage was back. but i wasn't too scared of it, my only basics were fossils and they evolved pretty fast. i hit him with my armaldo deltas for 70 and eventually take one down. it came down to him taking 3 prizes and me taking 4 with 70 damage on two of his ex's when time was called.

1-0

round 2, enrique with latias/latios ex

we both have okay starts. it was going to take both of us two turns to knock each others pokemon out. i was hitting him first so i was able to have an advantage. i eventually swarm with armaldo's and he can't respond fast enough.

2-0

round 3, jesse with flariados

wasn't sure what to do, my guys were weaks to grass and had high retreats. so i set up an armaldo pretty early. i decided to start attacking and use a warp point to kill an eevee. but he uses a mary's request and ends up making a flareon ex and attack with ariados. the game goes down hill for me from there.

2-1

round 4, marshall with mewtrick

we both have bad starts but i recover pretty fast and start attack with armaldo early. he can't set up anything .

3-1

top 8 cut is posted, i'm 7th seed. haven't played since august so top 8 was not bad.

top 8, lik with armaldo

game 1

so it was a mirror match, but i felt my deck would be faster since i had a holon engine in it. first games takes about 45 mins. we go back and fourth, but my react energy was in my prize and i couldn't take down his armaldo ex, he takes game one.

game 2, about 15 mins left.

we both start with claw fossils. i go first and attach a fighting to the fossil. he goes , but doesn't bench anything else. i have an armaldo ex in my hand, and just needed rare candy to KO his fossil. i burn up my hand and scientist and draw the candy.

game 3, around 10 mins left.

he starts with a mysterious fossils and lets me go first. i attach an anergy to an anorith and pass. he goes and plays a celio for an areodactyl and tries to evolve his fossil but can't since it's his first turn. he passes without benching another basic. i evolved in to armaldo without playing a supporter and KO his fossil to advance to the top 4 quarter finals.

top 4, dan with synergy

to be continued...

good job matt! that suck that we didn't play. :( maybe next time

"YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" *fist in the air* - Team Little Darling

Back