Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Meganium45's guide to leaguing! Support, growth for 2005 and on!

meganium45

OK, here we go guys, I am going to take a crack at the ever present question that is eating at us all....what does it take to make a successful league? Why do some leagues succeed and others fail? What can we as gym leaders/helpers/game supporters do to make our league the best it can be???

I am not going to claim to have all the answers. I am going to claim to have successful strategies at attracting and keeping younger players interested in the game, both at the casual and competitive level.

I take pride in my younger groups, because my younger groups become my older groups, and there are always little brothers and sisters, and the cycle continues.

Key 1 for League...have a good group of assistants/Leaders/helpers that are going to be able to, Frankly, run the league without you. This is ESPECIALLY true of us League leaders who are TOs and find ourselves away from our leagues for weeks at a time running and attending major events. Most of the time you will have a parent who plays who is willing to step forward. How do you determine if the person is good? One MAJOR requirement I have is energy toward the game. Do you want the parent who sits back, plays, is nice enough, but is not outgoing, or do you want the Mom/Dad who may not be that good a player (or they may be REALLY good), who is outgoing and talks to all the players and knows the attendees all by name....you guess.

Key 2 - make the players feel a part of the group. This is for parents AND kids. Talk to the parents who bring their kids up. Make sure to be aware of your "fringe" leagues who may be nervous and not want to initiate a match on their own. As LL, I try to sit and play with every player in my league at least once every few months. This includes the great players, and the casual player, and especially the new players. There is nothing more invigorating for a new player then to get to play against the Gym Leader, especially if they have a shot at beating the gym leader (I usually use theme decks against new players). When playing a new player, or any player, don't insult them and feel you have to let them win...sometimes a great game that is lost is better than a game that a player wins, and does not feel that their opponent was playing their hardest. You can gauge when you need to give a player an ego boost with a win...we have all done it, but I would prefer some feeling of pride be developed when a player knocks off the gym leader legitimately....and what a great time to give out an previous year's badge, or old extra promo cards, then when a match finishes against you...win or lose, the player feels that they have won something...and always talk to them during the match...ask why they like Pokemon, who their favorite is, and after your match, and marking their books (the GL in our league is always a Premiere Trainer), get them going on their next match. Always be mindful of the players who are "slipping" out of your group. Not everyone is going to be liked necessarily, but they should always feel that they are a part of the group...

Key 3 - hook 'em all! Get the parents to play. They know they want to (most of 'em), they really do. Getting the parents to play turns it from a kid time, to family time, where they can come and play together. The parents won't always play, but having a few that do will really increase your attendance, and make it very easy for them to bring their friends, when friends know than John's mother is staying anyway.

Key 4 - Friendly atmosphere. When you walk into your league, is the store inviting? Do you have tables to play at? Does it look like fun? Are the kids obviously having a good time? Sometimes we have to give up our playing and enjoying the leagues ourselves in order to keep the leagues energized...goes with the turf...that's where the big Professor bonuses come in!!!

Key 5 - Major events. Let your gang know about the PreReleases, Cities, States, and Regionals near them! Showing up at these events makes life a LOT of fun for the Poke players! 10 packs of a BRAND NEW SET at a preRelease! WOW!!! Did you see Jeff win at cities and get that cool medal! Wow! I can beat him at league sometimes!!! The funnel gets built into OP! It just does.

Key 6 - Tourneys. We all have competitive players who want to win the major events. They need to be catered to. Some of these people are considered bigger than the game...and should be looked up to. Weekly or monthly (optional) tourneys are a great way for players to play against the "big guns" and test their mettle. These do not all have to be sanctioned, but most good players will want them to be. Just make sure that the players are playing for fun, as well as to win...Winning at all costs turns a positive experience sour.

Key 7 - Keep it lively. I encourage Team play (2 players versus 2 players) because it gets the kids interacting. Creates opportunities for better players to hook newer players under their wing...and for older players to stretch their playing abilities. Funny Team names...are also cool...Our gym is the home of Team Rocks (OK, my 3 year old came up with that one), Team Drunken Monkeys, and Team Furry Kitten Snuggle (a couple of 22 year olds who have used that name for years). Unlimited, while it sounds like a great idea, is usually a disaster, where better, older players will just crack out the Slowkings, Sneasels and Clefables and whip up on players who have never seen those cards before.

Key 8 - Personal Connection. High fives, hand slaps, verbal encouragement, win or lose, is a key to making a welcoming atmosphere. I go so far as to give new players bonus cards if I mess up their names after the first day!!! Even for those I know, I mess up at least once so they get bonused! It shows you are focusing on not only them coming, but on knowing who they are. My favorite question is how is it going? I ALWAYS follow it with, are you having fun? Win or lose, they should be having fun. True, an 8 game losing streak is not necessarily fun...but, hey, then why don't you team up and play 2 on 2 with John (who just beat you) and take on Tim and Jeff? Toss a few promos as incentives, and AWAY WE GO!!! Make sure the new players GET a league book, understand the league book and use the league book!

Key 9 - Older players. Keep your older players interested. Keep them going to main events, have them run league in your absence (or presence) and make them feel important. Our league in St. Peters, MO would have died a LONG time ago without my older core...who are now seen as some of the best judges in the NATION!! I got lucky, and we all have older players who just want to play...those are fine too, but at some point the older players will either filter away from the game, or realize the game is bigger then just them winning, and if they look more than just to their own winnings, they can get a LOT more out of the game!

Key 10 - new player rewards! Make it a bonus for new players to come and play! Our current "bonus" is a bonus pack of cards for both the new player and the friend bringing them!! Sounds expensive...but it really works. Most stores will give you a break if you use packs in this way...ask your local retailer. I personally just toss them out of all of the leftover product I have from past events...but not all of us are willing to take that hit...even promo cards, whatever you can do....just make it some reason for the players to want to make the league grow! They want to bring their friends to play, some of them just need a little push!!!

I will edit this as I come up with even more to put in this outline, but read it, disagree with it, comment on it, so we can all use this as a brainstorm in making our leagues the best they can be!!!

Vince

Last edited:
Maybe an extra tip would be to not make a league in a location that the game is literally dead in? I used to have a league but all the people that came decided they wanted to go play Halo. ERG.

wow this will help me a lot since im gonna be a LL soon. Although i am soon to have a league with a small number of active players i hope with the help of the players and some info on this post i could make the pokemon community in my league bigger. thanks for the very good info.

btw is there any incentives for being a pokemon prof and a LL at the same time?

Good stuff!!

Great tips!!
Another thing that I have found helpful is have the parents fill out a mailing list form so that you can mail/e-mail updates to the league, special events, etc. Everyone who filled one out at my first pre-release will get a letter about the Gym Challenge with a couple of cards in it, as well as a blank deck list form they can fill out before they come. Put a couple of Pokemon stickers on every envelope so it doesn't get tossed with the junk mail, and you have a great vehicle for making your players feel like part of a special community.

Bernie "Loudred" DeVille

Absolutely Bernie!!

The mailing list is a key tool to let your gang know about the bigger events, both at their gym and in the area!

Vince

One of our main keys at the Battlenet League, Norwich, UK is to listen to the parents and players! It sounds pretty obvious, but sometimes I think its easy to assume that you know what your players want and then go ahead and do it without talking to them first! I try to involve everyone that comes and when Friday night rolls round there is genuine excitement! We started with a small number ( about 8 ) just over 2 years ago and now have about 40 players listed! Involve everyone and ask the players what they would like- dont just assume that you know!!

thanks for this. I already do most of these things. This helps... I will have a 5 week absense.... I'm worried....

Also, things you could do would be extra contests, like art contests or gameboy championships to mix it up a bit. you don't necessarily have to follow all the rules of league, because frankly, it gets boring.

My league leader in SC before I moved out to AR to start my own league had tournaments for just the league members every 3 months or so. He'd tell us to make 3 decks and give us guidelines or special rules to play, such as "Make a deck w/ only special energy" or "make a deck w/ no trainers". this opened up to new stratigies that weren't really well-working in normal play. Then, whoever won the tournament became a Gym Leader and was in charge of league whenever he was gone.

It's the little extra things that keep people coming back.

Good job on the tips!!!

meganium45 said:
Key 3 - hook 'em all! Get the parents to play. They know they want to (most of 'em), they really do. Getting the parents to play turns it from a kid time, to family time, where they can come and play together.

At my league, it seems that some come to the league to get away from their parents... :\
In my area, for the past 4 years at all leagues that I have attended, the league has almost been a sort of daycare. It was a place for a parent to drop off their child for 2-4 hours (depending on the league) so that they could go do shopping or attend to other things. I rarely saw parents play but I saw a fair number of them eager to leave the child behind for a couple of hours so they could do errands.

meganium45 said:
Key 5 - Major events. Let your gang know about the PreReleases, Cities, States, and Regionals near them! Showing up at these events makes life a LOT of fun for the Poke players!
yes, excellent point. I make it a priority to tell my players this. However, it is super hard to get younger players to go to a major event. more than 30 minutes is often too far for the parent whose child is under 13. Like I said above, most in my area have viewed the league as a sort of daycare. 30+ minutes a a bit too far to drive for that.

meganium45 said:
Key 7 - Keep it lively. I encourage Team play (2 players versus 2 players) because it gets the kids interacting.
While considering that we have no actual rules for Team Play. I liked the days when Team Play was unofficial - the days before WotC tried to make it official and people had to learn about the difference between card costs and card effects (which is a major problem in yugioh).
I don't want to revive the rules that I remember from the unofficial time because I don't want players to go to another league and say "we play Team Play this way..." What rules do you play with?

meganium45 said:
Key 10 - new player rewards! Make it a bonus for new players to come and play! Our current "bonus" is a bonus pack of cards for both the new player and the friend bringing them!! Sounds expensive...but it really works. Most stores will give you a break if you use packs in this way...ask your local retailer. I personally just toss them out of all of the leftover product I have from past events...but not all of us are willing to take that hit...even promo cards, whatever you can do....just make it some reason for the players to want to make the league grow! They want to bring their friends to play, some of them just need a little push!!!
yeah, some (like me) are not in a store and therefore run it for free (law says that in places like community centers cannot charge for activities such as this). I have come to the realization that giving the league aid with actual booster packs is going to take money from me. Still, I feel the wording of key 10 is belittling the fact. It is going to be expensive. It will take a bit more than old promo cards. You can only toss these to your players for so long before they say "I need something I can actually work with." You're going to need actual store bought stuff or something that no other leagues in the area can offer (which may cost some money as well).

Overall, an excellent article. I will remain on the lookout for parents and interacting with them. I am interested in the Team Play idea.

A way of keeping your costs down yet keeping the excitement is to try to keep an eye open to free or almost free stuff that you can give away for prizes - door prizes, lotteries, attendance prizes, whatever you like. We've just started doing a badge challenge with some gold and silver tokens I came accross at work for free. The kids announce that they want a badge challenge and get a silver one for playing, and a gold one with our initial if they win. Good thing I have lots!

My feeling for team is in essence it SHOULD be a fun format.

So what if your league plays a LITTLE different than a league down the road...or a league a few states away.

My main point is to get the kids involved, feel a part of the group, and have fun.

I refuse to get caught up in the minutia of an unofficial format...I just support the rules I feel make the format more fun!

Let's face it. You ultra competitive players will most likely stick to modified, where the bigger prizes are..

As for the personal cost of packs and everything for #10...yeah, the cost is there. As a PTO I try to keep one box of product from the last preRelease (which I buy) for this purpose, and it is expensive. I look at it as a "cost of doing business" as a PTO, but I can understand those that say...wow, that is a lot to put out. Like was said, keep your eyes on the freebies that are around. Dollar store sticker sets, Subway toys, and the like. Just have to keep it real. In an "ideal" world, we would get support to use for this purpose, but until that happens, we will just have to do what we can. Pokemon truly is a grassroots game, kept alive by people with an illogical passion for the game (myself included).

Let's keep it going!

Vince

procrastination_alley said:
We've just started doing a badge challenge with some gold and silver tokens I came accross at work for free. The kids announce that they want a badge challenge and get a silver one for playing, and a gold one with our initial if they win. Good thing I have lots!

I like that idea. :smile:

My feeling for team is in essence it SHOULD be a fun format.

So what if your league plays a LITTLE different than a league down the road...or a league a few states away.

My main point is to get the kids involved, feel a part of the group, and have fun.
okay. I will see about introducing it at my league then. Thanks for the ideas :smile:

Prime said:
Maybe an extra tip would be to not make a league in a location that the game is literally dead in? I used to have a league but all the people that came decided they wanted to go play Halo. ERG.

for me, is a death cuase, cause her ein staten island new york, there is no more pokemon players, the comic book stores doesnt have the space to hold a league, also the public librarys want to charge me for the space and just gimme a day per month, so here i just can keep trying on make the people play again the game, then probably i can have a new shoot to start a league

There's too many good leagues around here for me to try to start one. Birch owns one about 30 minutes from me. aghh...altrhough if I ever do start my own, I will print off your advice and keep it in my league binder. Good job, Vince!

Getting others to help is important.

ANy ideas on ways to make league " Summer Proof "
We drop down alot in the summer.

annisarich said:
Getting others to help is important.

ANy ideas on ways to make league " Summer Proof "
We drop down alot in the summer.

Install a pool ??? :thumb:

Keith :biggrin:

Back