Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Megas OH MY!

PokemonTrader

ORAS news is already underway with three new mega evolutions! Diancie, Sceptile and Swampert are all getting mega evos.

Mega Swampert is going to be Water Ground with Swift Swim
Mega Sceptile is going to be Grass Dragon with Lightning Rod
Mega Diancie is going to have an unknown ability at this time.

Keep Calm and Play On!

Yeah, me too. It looks like it got a really good upgrade in my opinion.

All the fuss about getting a Torchic with the Blazikenite item and it looks like everyone will be able to get one with ORAS. Pity. Oh well, regardless, I'm still looking forward to November.

EDIT: I wonder if there will be any other pokemon besides Kyogre and Groudon that gets the Prehistoric treatment? Maybe Rayquaza gets to be a worm that can fly? LOL.

Last edited:
The prehistoric thing reminds me of the Lucario movie. Plus, there are prehistoric Pokémon, so, maybe we could see a new type?

The fossil Pokémon could be getting megavolutions, just a thought.

Dragon/Grass type- just thinking about opening a freezer door will make Sceptile cringe................ but I do like the typing myself. And with lightning rod ability: meh, how to work that into a team is interesting.................

Interesting? Hmmm, I don't think that's the word I'd use. I certainly doubt that would make it tier 1 material at the VGC's - but then I wonder about a lot of typing. Not every pokemon is fit to be an uber - even some of the ubers.

well- typing does not necessarily make it uber or not, it is the over all playability it has for a team whether it supports or is an attacker does. Your opinion is a good one on how I see it as for the typing of grass + dragon at a first glance and generating my first thoughts to the typing in the first place.

What moves the Pokemon has available to it and combined with a held item and it's ability will make it or break it.

At a first glance- not so great.

with this:

Lightning rod ability will divert electric attacks away from partnered Pokémon plus raises spec att one stage. Sceptile is currently a spec attacker (as per the higher base stat vs phys att base stat)- so a bonus there. (this goes to say for current and if the megavolution gets a spec att base boost up grade and remains a spec attacker)

Dragon is weak to ice and fairy, grass is ice and fire. Fire will prolly be bumped to normal damage, ice still being the biggest threat of course. And poison will do as much a threat as ice, so that is the main 2 threats right off.

Sceptile currently out speeds Charizard, which Charizard is a big slot filler on current teams. So, Sceptile could still out speed Charizard in the new games.
Sceptile currently has a few dragon attacks and some rock attacks as well, plus- even though Grass Pledge is over looked: it could work well for double in a big way after mega evolving with a partnered water type pokemon.

there is a lot to take in to consider how to use a Pokémon regardless of what's it's weaknesses are, there is strength in there somewhere if you really take the time to look pass a serious fragileness (ice and poison for type in megavolution) to what is currently a huge threat in the meta vgc right now.

it is early to get to far ahead in thinking on how to use Sceptile until it is closer to the release time of the new games.

All I know is that for the time being- I am already working on some Pokémon and combos and the what not and building them now in possible preparation for the next format.

I have always liked and have had great success with Sceptile back in the day, and even with adding dragon type to it and the lightning rod ability opens an old "battle worthy" Pokemon for the starter returns and a 100% 2014-15 format user is going to mean new changes.

so you all know, no actual real facts in some parts of this post are to be taken like it is going to be that- speculation, what is current, and some opinion is most of this post's design.

Back