Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Memphis BR's Top 4 in Masters

Well, I figure I might as well write a report for this, since for once I actually remember all of my games.

I woke up realizing I still needed to pick a deck. I've mostly been practicing with Beedrill, Palkia Lock, and Flygon, and all of them were working really well, but I decided I would have the most fun with Flygon, and would potentially learn the most since I have played it the least of the three. When I show up, I start sorting through my deck, only to realize there's a bunch of "fake cards" (print-offs of Claydols, Uxies, Broken Time-Spaces, etc. placed in front of cards like Potions) that I needed to switch out with real cards from other decks. I scramble to switch them all out then write my deck list. I then proceed to talk to Sam, Taylor, Kaitlyn, and Louis until pairings are up.

Round 1 - Amy W. - Shaymin/Yanmega

I go second, set up two Claydols and a Flygon T1. She takes a couple of prizes, but mostly I just knock stuff out left and right.

1-0

Round 2 - Louis T. - Gyarados

I go first, and manage to get out two Claydols T2. He kills off my Trapinch early with his Sableye plus Crobat and his one dark energy, but thanks to my Claydols, I recover easily and can retreat for free. I make a mistake early by playing a Broken Time-Space, meaning he never has to play one all game, so I won't get invincibility from Sand Wall. I keep up the prize trade for a while but realize I won't be able to keep it up in the long run, so I start to shift my focus more towards decking him. I got a couple of helpful discards on Poke Turns and Super Scoop Ups that made this easier, and once he was out of Warp Points/Switches/SSU's/PokeTurns, I played a Warp Point and Sand Tombed the Crobat he brought up. He only had a few cards left in his deck and no way out of the lock, so that was game.

2-0

Round 3 - Taylor M. - Luxape

I go second this game, and I get a Flygon and Claydol T1 with Memory Berry on Flygon, in addition to a T1 Uxie drop. I pulled up her benched Lucario GL T1. T2 I get my second Claydol, Flygon X I believe (either this turn or next), and start Sand Tombing Lucario GL. Lucario is stuck for 3-4 turns while I discard with Wind Erosion, hitting a lot of good cards, including two Poke Turns, Aaron's Collection, and Infernape X. She manages to set up my active Flygon to be KO'd with Crobats, Premier Balls the Infernape X and kills it. She asks if I have the Premier Ball to recover the Flygon X, I show it to her, and she scoops since I have another Flygon ready to attack. My near perfect setup and good discards with Wind Erosion were too much to recover from.

3-0

Round 4 - Kevin W. - Beedrill

I have a horrible hand this game and don't get Claydol until I topdeck it around T8! Luckily, I managed to get out a 2-2 Flygon line before I pulled the Claydol despite not seeing a Bebe at all until the game was close to over. I pull a prize or two while he gets a pretty good setup and kills off my Flygons. Once I draw into the Claydol, I finally start to pick up the pace, but I'm way behind on prizes, 4-2 at this point I think. Then he warp points for his fifth prize. Luckily he's low on cards in his deck and only has one Unown G in play on his active, so I warp point then pull up his Claydol with a Memory Berry'd Flygon and Wind Erode my way to victory. That was a close one! GG Kevin

4-0

Round 5 - Sam L. - Gengar/Queen

Sam doesn't have a great hand but by T3 I'm sitting with 2 Claydol, one G'd, and 2-3 Flygon, one which was leveled up. He kills and Uxie and a Claydol while I'm attacking his active Gengar and I bring up a benched Flygon with 2 energy on it to take out his Gengar. He gets tails on Fainting Spell. I get a lot of good discards with Wind Erosion and start killing off a bunch of stuff. He never really recovers from losing his Gengar and actually runs out of energy late in the game.

5-0

Time for top cut. We had enough for a top 4, which was nice.

T4 - Kevin W. - Beedrill

First game - I get another terrible hand while he gets a good hand and starts setting up. He takes a bunch of prizes before I get anything at all going. I don't think I even took a prize at all.

Second game - We both get good hands. He starts out taking more prizes than I do and uses Blowers to kill off a Vibrava I was building on the bench. I picked the pace back up and it was tied 3-3 when time was called. It was my turn, so I Power Swing for the KO on his active Beedrill.

Sudden Death - I go first, attach to Trapinch, hit for 10. He draws, BTS, gets a Claydol, plays Uxie, gets a benched Flutter Wings Beedrill, and sets up a Band Attack Beedrill for the KO. If he didn't have the BTS, I had Candy+Luxury Ball+another energy for game.... Oh well. GG again Kevin.

5-1 with a deck I hadn't played much. Solid. I probably could have won it all if I had played Beedrill, but I had fun with Flygon.

Props:
not a lot of HW so I had time to go
getting to see everybody, esp. Kaitlyn since she lives in MS
going 5-0 in Swiss
2-3 Claydol for being much more effective and consistent than 2-2
not having to play the mirror
Louis for actually playing Gyarados
Sam for taking first
winning two games by decking the opponent

Slops:
not getting to go to the BR's the following day

Back