Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mew vs Mewtwo. Or does it matter?

Sceptile King

I thought of this when thinking about secondary attackers for my rogue deck.
I had though about putting Mew EX in just to be able to use it's ability and sometimes it's attack, But I'm also aware that it's is fragile.
However one the other hand we have Mewtwo EX and it's attack X-Ball, which really is a force to be reckoned with. But when you think about it.
Mew EX will be able to copy X-ball, but also runs the risk of encountering Garbador DRE.
I know it's just a personal preference and what fits better in decks, but what do you guys think?

It's just as you said. It depends solely on what deck you're splashing it into.

Mewtwo EX is ideal for decks that either have DCE or some form of energy acceleration. As you said, it has greater survivability, but also bear in mind that you will usually require a PlusPower to effectively embrace the Mewtwo EX war.

Mew EX is ideal for decks that DON'T have DCE or energy acceleration. The most note-worthy example is Empoleon decks. Mew EX also has the potential to take advantage of an opponent's fast start (or if you whiff on your own start) by using the opponent's attacks as its own. When paired with Empoleon, it will also not usually require a PlusPower to KO a Mewtwo EX. Switching perspectives, though, the reverse is true when a Mewtwo EX attacks a Mew EX: a OHKO without a PlusPower.

Both cards fulfill the same role: starting/finishing the Mew/Mewtwo EX war. Generally spepaking, though, if you can drop a Mewtwo EX down and have it ready all in one turn without slowing your deck, use it. If consistency issues become a problem, however, switch to Mew EX. It just comes down to personal prefence and, most importantly, what will splash best into your deck. They're both equally viable with their own unique respective pros and cons.

The problem with KOing a Mewtwo EX with a Mew EX is that Mew is relatively easily OHKOd by most decks these days, instead of only being reasonably OHKO'd by other Mewtwo EX.

Back