Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mexico National Championship FIASCO! MUST READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeRo

More fake than a $7 dollar bill.

For starters, here is the layout of the tournament:

8 tournaments with a cut to Top 4 so that the Top 32 is very clear. That sounds like an AMAZING idea EXCEPT that the groups were chosen by the judges, not by a random pairing or some other method. Apart from that they were not equal in size, AND they all had different time tables and different 'toleration times' in which some groups had 3-5 minutes to arrive at their tables whilst others had 10, with NO ANNOUNCEMENTS MADE ABOUT swiss rounds and the starting times etc. In the 6 years I have been playing no one had done that and had we known about it BEFORE the actual day of the tournament things would have been WAY different.

Some groups were in round 3 whilst others had finished already, and due to all the time mishaps during round 2 there were around 50+ people disqualidfied as no one knew the round had started and their 3 minutes had already been used up. In my case i went to check up on my little cousin when i finished my round, like in 5 minutes i finished and then went to see a friends game, assuming my round wouldnt start for another 15 minutes at least. I return with at least 10 minutes spare and I had already been dropped from the tournament for tardiness.

The dropout situation was fixed by awarding game losses to ALL the people Ives dropped, and I don't know how the program really works, but I played at Table 3 in the last round, went 4-1 only losing that round loss AND I did not qualify to Top 4 of my own group (with all my friends BTW) and a guy who played at Table 9 (!!!) did qualify. Also ffor each group their top 4 was announced as soon as the last round was over BUT we were asked to wait 10 minutes while they 'checked' (manipulated) the results.

In www.pokemex.com/foros/foros.php in the TCG section, Ives Rountree (the PTO himself) argues that it was barely 8 or 9 who were dropped, but in his words at the tournament he said 'there are too many dropped that I must change my opinion and give you all a round 2 loss' (BTW all of this happened whilst he was spitting at us).

I have proof of all of this, POP ID's, emails and the mexican TCG forums (links above) will show everyone the kind discontent everyone is feeling. I doubt people could use a translator to understand what is being said because everyone is SOOOO angry they are cussing so bad, the bandwith was exceeded and we could not continue discussing about the situation. Also Ives deleted lots of his posts so that in case anyone of PUI sees it he wouldnt be punished I bet.

TO TOP IT ALL OFF!!! Ives was so kind to exchange the travelers checks for two of my friends and paid them in pesos, they recieved 3000 mexican pesos instead of the $300 dollars which in reality $300 dollars is MORE than the $3000 mexican pesos they recieved.

TO TOP EVERYTHING OFF!!! The prizes for the top winners DID NOT INCLUDE the Game Cube bundle (which specifically says it will be included in the package in the op site). The boxes were INTENTIONALLY changed for Legend Maker boxes instead of Holon Phantoms because Ives consideres it a better expansion AND no Groudon bags were handed out. He did though be so kind to give the winners a lame small TV.

Only two of the judges actually knew the stupid rules, every rule they ahd to ask Ives Rountree or ask the well renowned players like myself about rules.

He also excuses himself by saying he gave out kits out of his own pocket surpassing $20 which is a huge loss on his part. Firstly every tournament he has done this year he has uploaded MANY more people than really attended, and this lame kits which nobody asks for are his excuse of a good tournament and that he really puts alot into this game.

Also during rounds there was no lunch time and my 9 year old cousin did not eat since 8 am until 5 pm as if she moved a single hair she would be dropped from the tournament.

I know his word is alot stronger than mine in PUI's eyes, but had someone attended from PUi like last year I bet it would have been so different and he knows hes got PUI eating from his hand as there is no one else in charge of OP.

This situation has just reached the limit, it is my first post here but I know complaining in Mexico or through PUI will not be any good as in Mexico the onyl I can complain to is Ives and in PUI I doubt they will believe a single player, specially since many people have complained of other tournaments before (including myself) and nothing has been done.

I have billions of people who can vouch this for me and I know Ives has something personal against me, he actually said he would try his very best to prevent me from not going to Worlds. He succeeded.

Anyone who wants to talk more about this can email me at [email protected]. anything I forgot have no doubt I will return, and think of this:

This was just a single tournament, imagine how much stuff has happened in 6 years of Organized Play in Mexico

I hope PUI invalidates this tournament and structures a new one to be had...

That sounds like the most ridiculous tournament ever. I'm very sorry that your situation is so poor. Make sure to e-mail POP from your My Pokemon Account, and get EVERYONE you know who was there to do the same- you must communicate to POP!

woah..i never expected ives to act like that...
i'm disappointed, but, as always, i'd prefer to see both sides of the story. i'm not ready to flush my respect for ives yet.

ryanvergel said:
I hope PUI invalidates this tournament and structures a new one to be had...

That sounds like the most ridiculous tournament ever. I'm very sorry that your situation is so poor. Make sure to e-mail POP from your My Pokemon Account, and get EVERYONE you know who was there to do the same- you must communicate to POP!
Yeah I hope you guys get another nats as well.

Until we hear from the other side, may be hasty to jump to conclusions. It would seem to violate any tourney structure whatsoever though to pair up groups to play down to a T4 and have 8 pods. Then, taking those 8 pods and have your T32. Hope things get explained more.

Keith

well i've only skimmed through the some of the posts, but there is definately two sides to this from what i've been reading. So don't take sides just yet.

Last edited:
tournament organization in mexico has been horrible since the beguning many of the judges dont even know how a lbs works most of the times when i ask a judge this asks to another and so,.....giving 3000 pesos instead of 300 dollars...roght now a 1 dollars = 11.50 pesos or more please you do the maths...what i dont undertand is why there is only one person organizing this important tournamene ...

metanite winning a national=??? aginst all those lbs ???you everyone know thats impossible

where do i sign in order to anul this tournament=??

omg people supporting ives .... well let me tell ya something about this wonderfull PTO once in an state a year ago he brings an airbed an stars to sleep right before our eyes ....yes during the tournament if werent because some of us tried to take some pics he would never woke up ....judge ...juuuudge is that legal is just that i cant find anything about airbeds at pop site ...????

maybe i should check compendium later...

btw i lost because of the famous drop tooo

Last edited:
well if 'your side' would learn how to quote properly and NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS it would be easier to follow, what happened, i'm not taking anyones side, the way the event was run obviously seems very shady but the other side of the complaints also seems to be biased since its the "good players" that were cheated and oh no because a metanight deck beat LBS and only the 'good' players can win....

sdp said:
well if 'your side' would learn how to quote properly and NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS it would be easier to follow, what happened, i'm not taking anyones side, the way the event was run obviously seems very shady but the other side of the complaints also seems to be biased since its the "good players" that were cheated and oh no because a metanight deck beat LBS and only the 'good' players can win....
of course good players can make a metanite rulz at a lbs metagame so mexico will win the worlds for sure ...please be sure to answer my airbed question as well:thumb:

XE.com says:

3000 MXN pesos = 264.54 US Dollars

Looks like he made a nice 35.5 Dollars on each person with a travel award.

And what is this about inflating tournament numbers? I thought 135 in 15+ in a gym was a little rediculous...

First and simple, this is simply a comment made by a player that couldnt arrive on time for round 2, got a game loss and couldnt qualify for the top cut, im right now in the middle of having this heard at PUI, as for the 300 dollars and x pesos, it was precisely discussed with Susan scheid, and I was gonna get reimbursed for 3000 pesos, not for 300 dollars, simply because we are using round numbers, so the "ives gets x amount for each player" is pretty weak.
most of this is simply over a player who cant get over a simple fact, he is a great player who simply cant understand that being late for a round means he loses; as for the format, it was used and authorized by PUI for the dimmension of the tournamentm we had more than 400 players, so everyone here, next time anyone gets here and says i killed someone, first try to check back on me, ok?
I will discuss this with PUI, to whom i have always had huge channels of communication, when that is done, expect a full topic on hy this is all so ridiculous.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

BTW, if you are wondering about the last 6 yars of op just let me say this, in 2005 I had a national of 260 players, while in 2006 Ihad a national of 430 players, if anything close to bad had been going on here, there is no way I could have this numbers; I will, as always, let my work speak for me, and not the other way around, many people from this forum knows me personally, and know what this is all about, so iall i ask at this point is for people to stop this flaming before analizing facts.

Last edited:
Was he more than 10 mins late to his round? If so, then a loss is appropriate. Were start times of rds announced so that no one in the bldg would miss their "pod" start time? I'm sure PUI is going thru these Q's and many more w/ Ives since he is the PTO. Lets wait to hear more before everyone simply condemns the whole tourney. If PUI knew of the format ahead of time, then the players must deal with it.

Keith

mhhh, keeping bags and bundles? I told EVERY winner that i still had stuff not arriving from laredo, everyne who knows a bit knows that tjose products cant get into mexico without a very specific way, taht needs to get trhough laredo, so sometime materials dont get here on time, so ALL winners were notified they would get contacted toget their stuff, not a single attempt was tried to hinder this delay; and me changing prizes? oh, come on, PUI sends the entire stuff, its not for me to chose, what i did comment was that i was happy they sent legend maker because it is best received by smaller players due to its bigger ex count per box.

Venusaur said:
Man that really sucks. But how come this is the first time someone's come out about a Mexico tournament?

Because this is really serious and may be its time to speak.....
This is really embarrasing.... metanite? OMG.... not even candies were put in that deck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back