Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

MGS-58s Vancouver and Seattle Battle Roads Reports!

MGS-58

Vancouver BC Battle Roads at The Connection Games May.21,2012

For the first week of battle roads I didn't really know what to play. I disliked the current meta decks with my reasons being that: A) I played Zekrom Eeletrik to death over provincials and regionals B) Celebi needing some good starts to do well which I rarely got playing it and C) Darkrai needing more than celebi to run well. So at leagues a few days before the event my friend Murray was testing out a Klingklang deck. He discussed the deck with me before and I initially found it to be a little farfetch'd :p so to speak with it being a stage 2 and all. Nonetheless the ability to be invincible with max potions and heavy ex that were very not one shot-able I said what the hey and played the deck.

Round 1 Kevin (Friend) with CMT
Starting off the tournament I was not happy having to play a friend (more on that later). We both had completely dead starts with us just draw passing until I top-decked an Oak's to get started. Eventually I got klingklang out and he was unable to take easy prizes. Time was called and he was put into a situation where he was unable to get the prizes he needed in to tie the game for sudden death. GG
1-0

Round 2 CJ (Friend) with Empoleon Terrakion
Great. I have to play another round with my friend CJ. I gave him suggestions on the list before the tournament so I knew about 99% about what his deck was playing. Anyways, this game I start pretty dead again with no draw in hand but I did have a smeargle in play. I go to portrait him and he has a hand of energy fo days. Seeing as he wasn't in a much better position than me I passed my turn where he top-decks a collector and proceeds to roll 2/3 heads on piplups attack on my smeargle. He again has no supporter so I pass turn. On his next turn he top decks oak's I think and rolled 3/3 heads. I finally portrait into something this time and am forced to pass again. He plays some stuff and gets 2/2 on piplup knocking out my smeargle =.=. Fortunately I get set with klingklang without it and start taking prizes. However, my darkrai got face-wrecked by his terrakion and I didn't feel safe benching a second darkrai. Eventually I just got a Mewtwo with like 8 energy on it knowing he didn't play mewtwo himself and just overpowered him from there. GG 2-0

Round 3 Murray (Friend) with Klingklang
Another friend. Lol. The pairing system did not like me at all that day :). I start nothing again for the 3rd straight match again but so does my opponent. He had a terrakion active compared to my cobalion. He goes first plays dual ball and get double tails. I get energy press with plus power off and he needs another pokemon to stay alive. Junk arms for dual ball. Double tails. Run so hot. GG 3-0

Round 4 Cor (Friend) with Darkrai Terrakion
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Pairing system hate me. I got a supporter start this game (woo!) and got myself a T4 Klingklang :p. We prized exchanged a bit with him being able to ko my darkrais but I N him down to 2 and he could not recover from there. GG 4-0

Round 5 Trevore with Zekrom Eeletrick
This game was swell. I had no supporter in hand but I did have two dual balls. I could dual ball for a Darkrai and Smeargle, retreat my active, and start setting up. Well, I rolled 3 tails so that plan went out the window XD. I drew pass for 8-9 turns. Eventually he got a mewtwo with like 11 energy on dat and went to town. With me having only one out and him having 3 junk arm 3 catcher in the discard I bench and attach an energy to mewtwo and N him down to 2. He gets Juniper off it and catchers my mewtwo for game. GG 4-1

Round 6 Julian with Zekrom Eeletrik
Murray at this point was X-2 I think? So I had to win this round to make cut and get Klingklang in :). Julian is a great player who had not been playing much this season but I knew I still had my work cut out for me. I get a good start to his average one and I was able to get a T3 or T4 klingklang. From there I was able to KO both his Eels with my darkrai on the same turn and he was unable to recover. GG 5-1

I made cut in w/e seed (someone else checked for me ;) ) and I was set to face Shimpei and his darkrai deck in top 4. Shimpei came here all the way from Japan and was there on student exchange on I think? He was here since December but did not have English cards to play in our tournament. However, after coming to our Dark Explorers Pre-release he now goes to my league and was able to make it to our tournament :).

Top 4 Shimpei with Darkrai

Game 1
He gets the worst start with his deck in Tornadus EX and could not do much. I got off a blazing start with T2 klang and Klingklang which eventually turned into double Klingklang. Terrakion was able to do work this game I won in a dominating fashion. 1-0

Game 2
He goes first and gets 3 energy on his energy on his darkrai T1 but could not retreat his smeargle. I get T2 Klang with Klingklang again but unfortunately Terrakion with prized. He got eviolites on all his pokemon so it made it more difficult for me to take prizes. He N's me to a hand of 4 unplayable cards leaving me with no way to get my healing cards so I lost a Kyurem with 3 energy on it. Soon afterward time was called and with him at 1 prize to my 5, I was not able to take 4 prizes in one turn so I lose. 1-1

Game 3 Sudden Death
We flip to decide who goes first and he gets it. He goes and gets to use smeargle 3 times in one turn but again whiffed the energy/switch needed to retreat his smeargle. I figured I'm going to lose with his amazing start so I benched down a klink attached to kyurem and hoped for the best. He whiffs catcher on my klink and THE DREAM WAS STILL ALIVE. I get T2 Klingklang and stabilize. He goes and tries to KO my terrakion with a barrage of special darks and plus powers but was unable to hit it. He was unable to retreat his smeargle. I had 2 energy in play on my turn with terrakion benched. Shimpei seemed resigned to his fate thinking I'd win but I told him I still needed an energy to win. Me and my big fat mouth =.=. I oak's with 10 energy in deck and I draw 0. I was like “Well, it seems like I'm in a precarious possession right here”. I think a bit and eventually just decide to catcher up his sableye making him need more cards to KO my terrakion that was on the bench. I recall him having one card in hand so I felt like I had the win in hand next turn for sure. He either had juniper in hand or topped it and was able to retreat his sableye, catcher up my terrakion, plus power junk arms and what not, to one shot my terrakion for game. The dream was dead :(.
0-2. Final score 5-2

I ended up 4th because Trevore 1st seed lost to my buddy CJ in top 4 so I don't get a pokeba... I mean victory cup. As for my concluding thoughts on the Klingklang deck, I had some terrible starts this tournament and I was still able to win some games. Granted my opponents' starts weren't optimal but what can you do ;). I also had no surprise factor with this deck since all my friends knew I was playing it for the tournament so I think this deck is definitely good, maybe great.

Props: Murray for showing my Klingklang
Klingklang
CJ
Jack
Cor
Kevin
Kabir
Bidier, Jasmine, Sandy for running a swell event
Other friends I'm forgetting cause I'm terrible :(

Slops:
Losing
Pulling nothing out of the packs

Seattle, WA Battle Roads at Blue Highway Games May.27,2012

On Saturday night at 10 or so, my Senior friend Jack calls me to see if I want to go to a BR in Washington with him and Bidier on Sunday. He wanted to play Klingklang and needed the cards from me so I decided to call since he's on the cusp of an invite and well shucks, I have nothing else better to do lol. Kevin joins us along for the ride and we spent the night discussing decks/travel plans/etc. I had to scramble and figure out what I wanted to play and eventually decided on a Darkrai/Mewtwo/Terrakion deck. I originally loved tornadus ex but I felt mewtwo was just a stronger card. With no sleep whatsoever I get picked up 5:15am and we head down to Seattle :D. We stop at starbucks near the store and proceed to make our decks in addition to playing kittens in a blender with Ian (a local senior). Once we got to the venue we found out that the store was limited in space and that there was pre-registration for it. We get on the wait-list and it looked like we couldn't make it. We stayed just in case Jack can make it in since he's the only one who's invite is on the line. Fortunately we all make it in and with no sleep at all I was set to go and get destroyed :p.

Round 1 ??? with Zekrom Eeletrik Tornadus
I'm so sorry I forgot your name :(. Yesterday (day of the tournament) was such a blur. I get a solid start with T3 Darkrai I think and start taking prizes. He didn't run Terrakion so my Darkrai was going to town. I eventually took the game using Terrakion retaliate on his Zekrom EX. GG 1-0

Round 2 Lane with Groudon Terrakion
I did not expect to play or win this matchup at all in all honesty. I saw some hype for Groudon on message boards but I hadn't seen it played yet. With no Tornadus EX in my deck my only hope was Mewtwo. Using dark patch energy acceleration, shaymin, and double colorless energy I was able to load up a mewtwo with enough energy to one shot his groudon ex with all his energy. He promotes a terrakion and attaches to his benched groudon but I was able to catcher that and he scooped from there. Very lucky for me that he did not have a mewtwo counter. GG 2-0

After this match there was a lunch break so my, Jack, Kevin, and Ian go for lunch at safeway. Jack, Kevin, and I all get tropical gatorade which we don't have in Canada but I found it surprisingly mediocre.

Round 3 Polo with Ross/The Truth
Polo has been doing really well this season having about 40 Championship Points. I planned on scooping to him since he needed the points much more than I did but I still wanted to play him. I always hope for people to play out a game even if one plans on scooping because best case scenario, the scooper loses so he/she doesn't have to scoop at all. I don't know maybe that's just me. I got a Mewtwo start I think this game but was unable to do much. He eventually got a duosion but I catchered it and with a double colorless on smeargle proceeded to tail slap. If I had hit one heads he would be at 30 damage (with one coming from a rainbow drop needed to retreat). I hit double tails so I was unable to ko his gloom AND duosion on the next turn. I ko an oddish and duosion with darkrai while Ning him I think. He top-decked twins and got vileplume out. Once again I get a mewtwo with energy for days in the active and take a prize. He plays down a shaymin ex which makes me edgy and passes, unable to attach an energy for turn with Kyurem EX active. I had enough energy to ko the kyurem but whether it was due to a lack of sleep or me being a scrub I retreated instead =.=. From there he gets an energy on shaymin ex so when I did knockout his kyurem he could knockout my mewtwo. It gets down to the wire with me needed energy to dark spear his damaged oddish for the win and sending up terrakion shaymins, and smeargles as death fodder. I got 2 energy on my darkrai since it had free retreat and on my last turn I should have promoted it hoping to top decking an energy for game but I misplay again promoting terrakion (desk). I DID top deck the dark energy and just facepalm =.=. His next turn he plays down his 1 seeker to seeker up his oddish so I have no outs and lose. Great game Polo 2-1.

Round 4 Grant with Quad Entei.
He mulligans a sick 8 times or w/e telling me he's giving me the absolute nuts. He gets to go first but was unable to N my monster hand away. I start my turn and show him I literally have no energy in my fat 15 card hand. I oak's and again go for the let's go mewtwo with tons of energy plan. I knockout an entei and he was unable to get another pokemon so I ko his second entei and win. Sorry about your luck Grant :(. 3-1

Round 5 Kenneth? With Celebi Mewtwo Tornadus Terrakion
Kenneth (I think that's the name, sorry if I'm wrong) was the only X-0 left in the tournament so I wanted to beat the pair-up. This match was really intense but unfortunately I can't seem to remember any of it except the end. He had an eviolite on a celebi with 30 damage and an eviolite with 90 damage on his damage on his tornadus ex. I was a complete idiot and thought I had game with catcher but I did not =.=. I played down a plus power and he sighed. I was like “what's this all about?” I do a little math and figure out plus power night spear kos the tornadus ex for my last 2 prizes :D. Lucky for me to take it in the end but I was completely exhausted afterward. Lesson to you kids out there: SLEEP. 4-1

As it ended up all 4-1s make cut but on a side note I would have made it at 4th seed nonetheless at 3-2 since I had the best resistance if I were to lose the final round. Instead I make it at 3rd seed and have a rematch with Kenneth. I honestly expected to lose now since I was playing terrible and the deck was not running well. Never got a t2 darkrai :(.

Top 4 Kenneth with Celebi Mewtwo Tornadus Terrakion

Game 1
We both start nothing this game with him getting a horrible regigigas ex start against my smeargle. He get a smeargle and portraits and portraits into nothing. I portrait into nothing. I eventually manual attach power up a darkrai and start taking prizes still not getting supporters. I opted to not hit into regi directly instead picking off smeargles and celebis. He finally gets an oaks but was unable to get another pokemon. He attaches the fourth energy on gigas and hits me for 110. My hand wasn't great with no supporters and all but it was perfect for this situation. I bench mewtwo, retreat darkrai, and shaymin all my energy to mewtwo to ko his gigas for the win. Not a pretty win but I'll take it. 1-0

Game 2
He starts gigas again but we again start nothing. I misplay at the end and with his developed board I scoop to preserve time. 1-1

Game 3
I start off well getting a T2-T3 darkrai and start taking prizes. I was up 2-5 prizes when time was called with me at Turn 0. I do stuff and pass. I had a mewtwo on the bench and he loaded up 5 energy on his fishing for a catcher to kill it on T1. He whiffs catcher completely and tries to portrait twice with the same smeargle after switching but you can't so he has to pass. I attach dce and catcher mewtwo xball for win. 2-1 GG

Top 2 Polo with Ross

The judge wanted me to play it out and Polo was fine with it so that was exactly what we did :).
Game 1
I start Mewtwo this but with playing only 2 double colorless in my deck was not able to put pressure on him early on. He starts powering up Darkrai which puzzled me since he knew I played terrakion. (He later tells me he forgot lol). The key point in this match is when he had to play to seeker to get an energy attachment in (he discarded away 2 rainbow off a bad sage earlier). This allowed me to pick up my shaymin and KILL his kyurem like I should have done last time with him having no energy attachment on his shaymin ex. He ends up scooping to preserve time 1-0.

Game 2
I get Mewtwo start again but again was not able to pressure him up. He gets reuniclus and vileplume up while I try to take as many cheap prizes as I can get with my mewtwo. The turning point this match was when he promoted his vileplume and beached for 3. I just stared for 5 seconds, attached for turn on my darkrai, and x-balled for the knockout with my mewtwo. He was puzzled. I tell him him vileplume is weak to psychic. The entire store starts laughing XD. To his credit even after this mishap he was able to get shaymin ex and start killing stuff with me at 1 prize. On my last turn I dark patch on my darkrai attach double colorless to my other mewtwo and juniper away 4 junipers ;). I hit my shaymin and did just enough to knockout his shaymin ex for the win. Great Games again Polo! 2-0

That's it. With no sleep and almost not making the tournament due to a hard cap on players I was somehow able to win it all. My friends wanted me to title this report (I played bad, I ran bad, I still won?) but I did not know if that was disrespectful or not. I shook hands with the Washington players and we parted ways. On the way back Kevin and I got Chipotle since I always hear it's amazing. The meal I had was good but I'm sure it would have been better if I knew how to order at Chipotle's lol. We also went to Walmart and got some cherry coke and vanilla coke (the nuts) along with some other stuff. All in all a great time and now I really want to travel to Washington for more events what with everyone being nice and all :).

Props: Bidier for driving us all down
Jack
Kevin
Murray for lending us cards
Washington people and their hospitality
Winning!
Vanilla and Cherry Coke

Slops: CJ for having work
Cor for not wanting to wake up
Me ringing Murray's doorbell at 5 in the morning and waking Jasmine/other co. up (I blame no sleep)
No sleep
Playing poorly
Pulling nothing

Last edited:
MGS-58: what happened to "i will not write a report because am mad" ??
MrScaryMuffin: so now that Murray Gear Solid 1 is almost over, what does Murray Gear Solid 2 has to offer?
fantasy_freak08: MGS-58 told me your rudely rejected my ride offer and decide to play league on Sunday instead :(

hey guys, i have a dilemma here. i recently found a cellphone, is not some fancy phone so i dont plan to keep it and no point resell on craigslist either. i have already looked at all the pictures and texts cos thats just what i do when i get a hold of someone else's phone, and using it to call long distance is just too old school and lame. now what other fun things can one do with a free phone that its still active? discuss ...

hey guys, i have a dilemma here. i recently found a cellphone, is not some fancy phone so i dont plan to keep it and no point resell on craigslist either. i have already looked at all the pictures and texts cos thats just what i do when i get a hold of someone else's phone, and using it to call long distance is just too old school and lame. now what other fun things can one do with a free phone that its still active? discuss ...

No comment seventeen

MGS-58: what happened to "i will not write a report because am mad" ??
MrScaryMuffin: so now that Murray Gear Solid 1 is almost over, what does Murray Gear Solid 2 has to offer?
fantasy_freak08: MGS-58 told me your rudely rejected my ride offer and decide to play league on Sunday instead :(

I had a shift until 2pm o_O, next time please offer a ride a bit earlier than the night before, like, a week before. then i would probably graciously accept. Thank you. love you long time. <3 :biggrin:

Lolololol.

Anyways good job Ricky Gao. Get to Top 40 in NA!

Bidier...now that Metal Gear Rex is dead...I guess I should try building Metal Gear Ray? Although...that never really made sense to me...Ray isn't really a Metal Gear IMO

Back