Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mid Atlantic Regionals.

merman

On 4/9/06, i traveled with lugiaseeker, pokemonforever and his sister to the mid Atlantic regionals to Exton Pennsilvania. The car ride was not so bad. A little over 2 hours ;3

So the deal was that this was going to be my last tournament in the 14 and under age group. My birthday was going to be in 4 days ^^

We got there around 9 when registration had just started to get going. I got my deck organized and went of to get it checked. I had to get new sleeves though the ones i was using where "too worn out" The judges where being very strict with everybody :)

I decided to go into this tournament with the ZT3 deck. Thanks to Kevin, it was a /great/ deck with much potential. After having been mutilated by 2 Flygon ex during states though, i decided to be safe this time and go in with 3 crystal shards.

1st Match:
Pretty bad hand. Only pokemon was absol but three energy and a dual ball. I had a mary's request as well. I wasnt able to catch the name of my opononet but she was very nice XP; She started out with a squirtle and a pidgey on her bench. First thing i thought. LBS. We rolled, she went first. She attached an energy to her squirtle but didnt quite read my pokepower xP Her squirtle was unable to attack and it was my turn. 1 dual ball both tails. I knew i had to act fast and i could not let her evolve but i decided to take my cahnces.Energy to absol ==> Extra call get my zappy into my hand. Lucky for me she was not able to evolve any of her pokemon. By my third turn zappy was out and knocked out her squirtle. Her pidgey did not last a chance and out of no where she pulled an articuno ex. It took me two turns to knock out but she was able to damage one of my zapdos. I played my 2nd zapdos to knock out her cuno to bench and win.
1-0

2nd Match:
By this time im pretty happy that i got one LBS out of the way but im still very nervous. My next opponent was a girl who i didnt get her name either and this time i rolled to go first. My hand was absol again but this time with an electrike and lots of supporters. She was playing a nido doom deck. It took her a while to evolve though so my zapso's got rid of a few nidorina and pidgeys. Her nidoking was a challenge though as it knocked out my absol which was on my bench. But with 2 dual balls and the extra call from the begining of my game i managed to get my 4 zappy's out to bench when needed and stump tree'd/retreived them back to hand. In the end i knocked out her last nidoqueen to win.
2-0

3rd Match
Heres when things i knew where going to get tricky. I did not know the name of my opponent but i recognized her for she was Juding at States at dream wizards. I knew she was going to be tough but i got a GREAT hand. Just what i needed. 2 Energy, Electrike and one zappy plus some supporters. I was set and ready to go. We flipped over our cards and once again i was facing a nido doom. I was not too worried because i had 3 tree stumps in my deck and 2 scotts. I even managed to roll to go first. thiings where looking great. 1st turn 2 energy on Electrike. By my second turn i had my zappy powered up and drew a prize. She managed to stall a lil when it took me two turns to knock out the nidoking she rare candied. By this time she had a pidgeot on her bench. She sent out Desert ruins but i countered it with stump tree. Next turn she played desert ruins again. Countered it with stump tree as well. This went on for 3 turns but by that time i was down to 2 prizes and she still had six. I had one damaged zappy on my bench and another one up front that was poisend. I decided to play an electrike from my hand and stump my damaged zappy. I had retreiver as well so i got it back anyway. The poison was rapidly eating away at my zappy and i had to discard an energy to knock out her 3rd nidoqueen. Down to one prize. Then she played Rockets admin. Boom my beautiful hand gone. I draw one card she draws six. No energy cant attack no zapdos cant retreat. She knocks out my zappy and i have ntohing left but an absol, electrike and damged zapdos. I draw nothing good crystal shard. she manages to pull more evolutions from her hand such as milotic and another pidgeot. She starts knocking out my pokemon one by one until she finally benches me. My first loss at regionals :( But it was a great match.
2-1

There where not many people in my age category so i figured i could have a good chance of placing top 8 even if i came 3-2. My next opponent was a little kid whom i did not get his name either but he was a great player. i draw my 7 cards and wow what a horrible hand just horrible. i got like a scott, 2 electrike NO ENERGY nothing good wahtsover. Whats worse is that i go first. Im stuck with nothing to do so i end. He was playing a macargo deck with a bagon. I was like waaa? It turns out it was delta species salamence deck which was a surprise using two macargo's on his bench. By my third turn i managed an energy but still nothing playable. Im stuck he knocks out my elctrike and my other one comes up. I draw mary's request and draw zapdos and manectric. I attach energy to my newly evolved manectric and thunder spear his salamence. He damages my Manectric and soon i must play zappy. By the time zappy comes out his salamence has 5 energy's. He discards and does 100. Im in a real pickle XP; I actually am able to pull two heads on dual ball and get 2more zappy's for backc up. Legendery Accent to get aa fresh zappy out an di knock out his salamence. I start making a comeback and soon i have 2 prizees left and he had 2 prizes left. This is when i made the biggest mistake that made me lose my placing. He had a salamence on his bench and a fresh macargo up front which would take me two turns to knock out. I even had a pow hand extension and a zapy in my hands. I decided to knock out his macargo first. Knowing that salamence could max do 100 iw ould be safe. I draw a prize only one more left to go. But my opponent had been too smart for that XP; During his turn he had used macargo's pokepower to search for a rage crystal-his only one in his deck supposably. He draws attaches to his powered up salamence. Boom zapdos 120 damage = knock out. He draws his last two prizes and wins the match.
2-2

I look at my standing by that point and i was in 11th place. I was so happy. i still had a chance of placing! i go against this guy who i did not get his name. I drew pretty bad hand. Nothing useful but not half as bad as my last match. I manage to stall with absol but soon i have to bench a swablu. I had attached energy's to my absol but it eventually gets knocked out by DS Dragonite. Uh oh. Luckily i draw that crystal shard i had been waiting to use for flygon ex. XP; (too bad i didnt encounter any of those ;~;) I attach play zappy boom dragonite is gone. he had nothing left so the match was basicly easy after that. i managed to win the match with manetric though when ironically iknocked out his manectric ex.
3-2

The moment of truth came. I was pretty confident of going to top 8
My tie braker percentage was about 60 soemthing since i had gone agaiinst tough opponents. The list comes..... 9TH PLACE!! wow... i was stunned 4 days from my 15th b-day and still no placement. I missed the 8th player (who had also won 3-2) by .3 % it was ridiculus. Oh well i was happy with how i had done and i had loads of fun. My prize was 2 packs so i didnt leave with nothing. :)

Other fun moments at Regionals:
Hah my poor brother. His match was the 2nd match and he had gone to regionals with a 100% safeguard deck. LBS wasnt supposed to stand a chance and ironically the feature match was against an LBS. He didnt have a good starting hand and he got his tech Ninetails ex out too fast trying to lure his opponent. is opponent sensed the danger though since people had been talking about the mysteroius safeguard deck >_< My brother lost but still it was fun. The downsize of the match was that people now knew about my brothers deck and the next two LBS decks that he faced knew who he was and only evolved to warturtle ==> smashturn ouch :(

Another good moment: Pokemon forever with the rogue dark ty deck. Wow that deck is fun to see in action. XP; Max damage of 110 i believe and if root where playable on darks 130 XP; Truly awesome. He placed really well also.

yet another good moment: Pokemonforever's sister with that dragtrode deck. She is probably one of the best dragtrode players taht i have ever seen. O_O after having played with that deck for over a year she's awesome with it. She did well also :)

heeyy, ya, i was the person in the 3rd match. dang that was a hard game, i was getting crap and then so u were all *PWNS* then i was all *donks* and i won. but ya, it was def tough, hahaa, i got 9th at like, 2 regionals last year. its SO depressing. >< so ya, gj!

Back