Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Midlothian VA BR report (Top Cut)

Sandslash7

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
So after deciding to go to the Midlothian BR at Battle City Games, I went with the deck I’ve been playing all year. Infernape. However, instead of going with an uber-consistant list, I teched it out the week before, and really didn’t hurt it any.

25 Players in Masters
5 Rounds/Top 4.

Pokémon: 20
4 Chimchar
2 Monferno (1 DP/1 SF)
2 Infernape MD
1 Infernape SF
1 Infernape Lv X
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol
1 Duskull DP (These are not techs, they are staples for every deck I play)
1 Dusknoir DP (These are not techs, they are staples for every deck I play. Its just sooo broken.)
1 Pachirisu GE (Tech)
1 Fineon DP (Tech)
1 Lumineon SF (Tech)
1 Skuntank G (HAHAH YES!!! I DID PLAY THAT! Duh: Tech)

NRG: 14
14 Fire

Trainers: 26
4 Felicities
3 Bebe
2 Roseanne
4 Poke Drawer
4 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
2 Broken Time Space
1 Stark Mountain
2 Night Maintenance
1 Luxury Ball
1 Premier Ball

Heading into the event, I’ve played this deck literally all year; meaning 1 Premier Event, (Regional’s, where it when 3-3) plus all of the League sessions I’ve played. Since I spend 2/3 of the year in Lynchburg, VA I’ve never really had a chance to test the deck consistently, but it’s the only deck I know, and I’m not switching right before an event anymore.

Round 1: Vs King of Magikarps (Beedrill)
I was hoping to play him, I consistently beat him with Ape, and Grass is always a favored matchup. However, I almost got donked.
T1 I start with a lone Baltoy and psychic balance for 0. He does some stuff and rips a Candy-Beedrill grass T1, but DOESN’T PLAY THE PLUS POWER!!! I live with 10 left. He realizes the misplay and I fill up my bench and begin to play cards. He takes an early lead, and plays right into Dark Palm. Multiple times. On purpose. I’d knock something into the deck, and he’d pull it right back out and get off more damage. He was up 3-5, but from there I rolled with OHKOs that he couldn’t respond to, and I won 6-4.

Win (1-0)

Round 2: Vs Time for Pain (Pl0xorxz/ridiculous)
This match is an autoloss for me. I lose (we’ve tried this matchup before, I just didn’t try).

Loss (1-1)

Round 3: Vs Barbara L. (Beedrill)
What luck! Beedrill again! The only 2 Beedrills in the tourney, and I get to play them.
This game starts off much better, and good play from Dusknoir keeping the Bench low and 2 hitting Bee’s all over the place lands me with a 6-1 win.

Win (2-1)

At this point I sign up for the draft which would be held during the top cut. I really came to the BR FOR the draft, but I am doing well, but I figured I’d let it play out.

Round 4 Vs Cary (Infernape PL/Typhlosion MT)
This was the most Non-Mirror match Mirror match possible. I used the MD Ape -> Lv X,
while he went PL Ape -> Discard V -> discards then to Lv X.
_______________^________<- Typhlo
I rip stuff, and we get set up, I have Lumineon hitting things with help from Mach Punch, setting all of his pokes in 2NRG range of MD Ape. That tech was most appreciated. He drew dead at the beginning, with 2-3 Fire, Monferno and premier Ball that totally sucked. I eventually pulled out with 5-3 win on time.

Win (3-1)

I knew I had to win out to get a shot at the top cut, so with 1 round left, I steeled myself for the final round.

Round 5 Vs Javier (Toolbox G/Weavile swarm)
This game went as expected, with t1-t3 Cyrus to Powerspray to Cyrus and locked my Claydol T1-3, but after that I pulled EPIC 2x Psychic Balances from Baltoy and got tons of cards (7 and 9) Then I got Dusknoir and sent stuff back to the deck, and he only had 1 Powerspray left. He had taken 3 prizes to my 0, but I had superior position. A critical Blaze Dance helped a ton, and I was able to sweep 6 prizes to him garnering maybe one more.

Win!!! (4-1)

So, I had an excellent shot at the top cut, losing only to the undefeated player (TfP) Ghetto Overlord was also 4-1 and since Barbara L. went 4-1 the top cut was announced. Now at this point, I had a decision to make. Drop and Draft? Or play the top cut and hope to win first round for some packs. I knew if I played TfP, I’d drop and give him the win and Draft, as I autoloss to him. I decided to see how the top cut went, and stayed in.

Seeds:
1 TfP (Pl0xorxz/ridiculous)
2 Me (Ape/techdeck)
3 Aaron (Flygon/Absol: TfP’s list)
4 Nate (Dialga/tech)

So, no drop for me, I’d play it out and hope to win first round and drop to TfP in the finals for free packs.

Top Cut

Game 1
I get an ehh start, he calls to set up, I pull some stuff (double Drawer + I think) and go for Claydol early to counter his Absol on the bench. He Bailful Winded Fire NRG a few times this game, helping me a ton. However, having the Ape Lv X as my Last prize was what killed me. My prizes are always set up in this fashion.
321 I always take them in that order. Ape Lv X was 6… He gets invicibility 2 times from killing my stadiums. And I try to play around it with Lumineon. But he pulls an NRG Vortex or whatever on an Ape for 180, and I eventually have 1 card left in my deck. I draw the last card, and it’s a Bebe, so I play it and fail the search so I have 1 more card, and pray to get the Ape Lv X as my 5th prize, but alas, it’s a NM. He then KOes for the last prize.

Loss

Game 2
We have around 25-20 min for the final 2 games.
I decide to go for the donk after having him go first. I Bebe for the SF Ape and Candy to it, Flipping tails on Blaze dance. I eventually pick up 2 prizes off of Warp Point and stuff, and he scoops. Funny thing though, he Bailful Wind’s 3 Fire NRG in a row.

Win

Game 3 we have 15 Min.
I get Stark, 3 NRG, Finneon, Baltoy, and PokeDrawer + as my opening hand.
He kills about 3 things by the time time is called, and I lose.

GG

Props
Noah B Winning his first BR!
Nate B for Winning against Johnny and Aaron to take First
Patrick for Winning SR Division
Getting my second top cut ever
Top notch games in Swiss

Slops
The draft DURING top cut, meaning I couldn’t play my favorite format.
Never getting anything when I top cut. (Both times its been BR’s and I lose R1)
My deck committing seppuku Game 3 in top cut.
Prizing Ape Lv X
TfP playing my Autoloss, and still losing R1 of the Top cut.

Last edited:
He takes an early lead, and plays right into Dark Palm. Multiple times. On purpose. I’d knock something into the deck, and he’d pull it right back out and get off more damage. He was up 3-5, but from there I rolled with OHKOs that he couldn’t respond to, and I won 6-4.
On purpose? Javier and I are going to have to teach that boy how to play :rolleyes: .

He had taken 3 prizes to my 0, but I had superior position. A critical Blaze Dance helped a ton, and I was able to sweep 6 prizes to him garnering maybe one more.
Games like this are the best.

What is Pl0xorz/ridiculous?

OHHHH YOU ARE SANDSLASH7!!!! I NEVER KNEW WHO YOU WERE!

*tap therapy*

Good job with Infernape, though. I prefer Blaziken as far as fire decks go, but Infernape is far underrated.

On purpose? Javier and I are going to have to teach that boy how to play :rolleyes: .

The point was he needed more damage than 3 bench spaces required, and with BTS, it was easy to get them back to the field.

Games like this are the best.

What is Pl0xorz/ridiculous?

I wonder if Johnny would let me tell you. The main fact is its more power-locking than the old Plox, and couples with hand-denial early.

OHHHH YOU ARE SANDSLASH7!!!! I NEVER KNEW WHO YOU WERE!

*tap therapy*

Yup, that was me in the Green-striped polo. Who were you?

Good job with Infernape, though. I prefer Blaziken as far as fire decks go, but Infernape is far underrated.

Thanks man!

Blarg on the fact that in-quote text doesn't count for character limit...

Ahh.. Nice! Its always cool to meet people from the gym at real events.

R_A, Yeah, no doubt. I just wish I had more time/cards and I'd probably be Top-cutting more consistently.

And I might even win an event!

Thought that's not going to happen any time soon....

Back