Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mindbender v7.0- Psymimic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexia

This was the deck that I played in my State Championship. It had a 3-3 record.

Two of the losses were because of very bad hands against a Gardy & SwampertEX/SuicuneEX decks. The other loss was a close loss against a BAR w/ BlazeEX deck (only one prize left, and they use Firestream (I think that's Blaziken R/S attack......) to KO two of my Pokemon for the last two prizes.

I won against Team Aqua deck, a Shedy/Beedrill deck & a SwampertEX/SuicuneEX deck.

Anyway, here's the deck.....

Pokemon
- 3 Abra (Exp)
- 3 Kadabra (Sky)
- 2 Alakazam (Exp)
- 1 Alakazam (Sky)
- 2 Mareep (Dragon)
- 1 Flaffy (Aquapolis)
- 1 Ampharos (Exp)
- 1 Ampharos EX (Dragon)
- 2 Dunsparce (SS)
- 1 Ditto (Sky)
- 2 Wynaut (SS)
- 2 Wobbuffet (SS)

Trainers
- 1 Warp Point
- 2 Pokemon Reversal (Exp)
- 2 Switch
- 1 Buffer Piece
- 2 Rare Candy
- 2 Lady Outing
- 2 Wally's Training
- 1 Oran Berry
- 2 Professor Oak's Research
- 2 TV Reporter
- 1 Town Volunteers
- 1 Copycat
- 1 Crystal Shard
- 1 Mr. Briney's Compassion
- 2 Oracle

Energy
- 3 Psychic
- 3 Fire
- 3 Lightning
- 3 Rainbow Energy
- 4 Double Rainbow Energy

The basic idea is to get a Dunsparce out first/second turn, find a Wyanut, Abra & Mareep (or another Abra). Try to get out a Alakazam (Sky), Wobbuffet, and a AmpharosEX via Wyanut (or a Alakazam (Exp)).

Use the Alakazam (Sky) to switch energies around (mainly for the Special Energies), and copy the opponent's moves (like bring a BlazeEX out and OHKO it w/ Volcanic Ash).

Sometimes I'll get a great/close to great starting draw, sometimes I'll get a bad starting draw. I never been able to get Ampharos (Exp) out fast enough, so maybe I should switch them out for a Pokemon Fan Club? And the two Wally's Training for a Profesor Elm's Training Method?

BTW, I only have 2 Oran Berries and 1 Amphy/AmphyEX total. I don't have any others in my collection.

Any suggestions to make it run faster?

Last edited:
The deck doesn't look very stable. You may want to re-do your Trainer list. And isn't this deck supposed to be a Gardy TeCh? If so, then you may have a problem if you lost to Gardy decks! ;)

I know the problems lies within the trainers. I didn't know what Trainers I should use in the deck, so I posted here.

I meant it to be a BAR-tech (must work somewhat somewhat since I almost one). I could always use Wobb. and stall the Gardy deck out (along w/ doing damage with AmpharosEX).

Any other questions you guys need answered? I'm open for deck comments & questions!

Edit :: The reason I lost against the Gardy deck was simply because the drawing cards in my deck were not showing up.

Anyway, most of the people in my League/at tourneys play Blaze variants, so I don't worry too much about Gardy decks (haven't really played many yet)

Last edited:
Hmmm... Interesting deck. :D I like the idea, especially the EXP Ampharos for some energy moving. But your other pokemon choices could use some work, same for the energy.

First, the pokemon:
Since Psymimic is the main part of your deck, let's switch the Sky Kazam for another Expedition version. Next, let's cut the Wynauts and Ditto (don't worry, your trainers will more than make up for the loss) and add in 2 Dunsparce. That makes the pokemon -1 in number, which is good, we need the slot for the trainers.

-1 Ditto
-1 Sky Kazam
-2 Wynaut
+2 Dunsparce
+1 EXP Alakazam

(when possible)
-1 EX Amharos
+1 EXP Ampharos

Trainers:
Ay, this seems like the reason for your losses. While you seem to be going in the right direction, you need to first work on your numbers. First, let's cut the dross. Drop the Buffer Piece, Oran Berries, Wally's Training,Copycat, Pokemon Reversals, Oracles and Briney's Compassion. Then
+2 Rare Candy
+1 Lady Outing
+2 Oak's Research
+3 Professor Elm's Training Method
+1 TV Reporter
+1 Crystal Shard
That should leave one open slot, which is good for the energy.
Energy:
Not mch here, I would just drop one Rainbow Energy and add 2 Water, so that you can Outing for it.
1 Rainbow
+2 Water Energy

Final List:

Pokemon (20)
- 3 Abra (Exp)
- 3 Kadabra (Sky)
- 3 Alakazam (Exp)
- 2 Mareep (Dragon)
- 1 Flaffy (Aquapolis)
- 1 Ampharos (Exp)
- 1 Ampharos EX (Dragon)
- 4 Dunsparce (SS)
- 2 Wobbuffet (SS)

Trainers (23)
- 1 Warp Point
- 2 Switch
- 4 Rare Candy
- 3 Lady Outing
- 4 Professor Oak's Research
- 3 TV Reporter
- 1 Town Volunteers
- 2 Crystal Shard
-3 Professor Elm's Training Method

Energy (17)
- 3 Psychic
- 3 Fire
- 3 Lightning
- 2 Rainbow Energy
- 2 Water Energy

That sounds great! I'll test it on Apprentice and see how it works later this week.....

The only thing I may change is to keep in the Sky Alakazam, depending on how the deck works at my League on Sunday.

But thanks for the deck fix, espically in the Trainers. I really needed help there!

Thanks everyone!

Darkash made a good fix, but you can drop the Town Volunteers and probably 1 Rare Candy, they are overdoing it. Drop a switch and add in either 3 Prof. Birch or 3 Copycat or 3 Shaman... depends on which you prefer.

This'll make your draw power much much much better and you'll be able to get one in almsot every hand. On top of stuff like Lady Outing and Dunsparce, you should be able to run through your deck pretty quick.

Yeah. I was at the Florida SC. Was you deck the one that got almost no Water energies throughout the game (second round, I beileve)?

The only cards that I don't have for this deckfix is 2 Rare Candy (from last fix- though I can always borrow a Rare Candy from a friend of mine for a tourney, always can proxy for the time being), 1 Outing & 2 POR (although I may be able to get those if I need too- can always get POR in that Exp. theme deck).

Alexia said:
Yeah. I was at the Florida SC. Was you deck the one that got almost no Water energies throughout the game (second round, I beileve)?

The only cards that I don't have for this deckfix is 2 Rare Candy (from last fix- though I can always borrow a Rare Candy from a friend of mine for a tourney, always can proxy for the time being), 1 Outing & 2 POR (although I may be able to get those if I need too- can always get POR in that Exp. theme deck).

Yeah, but it was first round though.

I just built the deck last night, and through playtesting, I found that it usually sets up by turn 2, turn 3 at the latest. I may add a Town Volunteers, since sometimes a card that I need is discarded. Anyway, here's the current decklist.....

BTW, this deck needs a Sky Alakazam in it, It just dosen't work without one. And I didn't put in Professor Birch, since I usually have a large hand due to the POR & Copycat'ing.....

Pokemon (20)
- 3 Abra (Exp)
- 3 Kadabra (Sky)
- 2 Alakazam (Exp)
- 1 Alakazam (Sky)
- 2 Mareep (Dragon)
- 1 Flaffy (Aquapolis)
- 1 Ampharos (Exp)
- 1 Ampharos EX (Dragon)
- 4 Dunsparce (SS)
- 2 Wobbuffet (SS)

Trainers (23)
- 1 Warp Point
- 1 Switch
- 3 Rare Candy
- 3 Lady Outing
- 3 TV Reporter
- 2 Crystal Shard
- 3 Professor Elm's Training Method
- 2 Copycat
- 1 Oracle

Energy (17)
- 3 Psychic
- 3 Fire
- 3 Lightning
- 2 Rainbow Energy
- 2 Water Energy

i dunno, it seems like you will have a hard time getting what you need out, even with all the trainers.

interesting deck tho. gl with it

Last edited:
Alexia said:
BTW, this deck needs a Sky Alakazam in it, It just dosen't work without one. And I didn't put in Professor Birch, since I usually have a large hand due to the POR & Copycat'ing.....

I gave this a quick whirl today, but with the std dunsparce/delcatty/oracle/oak's reasearch/tv reporter draw engine that you see in a lot of decks. Instead of the Amphys I used more DRE + Boost for the energy speed that good decks need these days. Other pokes were Wynaut & Wob SS. You may not have all those cards, but the Rainbow/DRE/Psychic energy set (4/3/9) worked well. In my experience I couldn't pull off the two stage twos consistently enough -- that is why I went away from Amphy.

Beat Blaze EX & lost to straight Blaze Ray (was using BEX Volcanic Ash against EX targets. Blaze Ray not powerful enough compared to energy lost).

Keep working on it. Hope those comments gave you some more data.

20 Pokemon
- 4 Abra (Exp)
- 2 Kadabra (Sky)
- 3 Alakazam (Exp)
- 1 Alakazam (Sky)
- 2 Mareep (Dragon)
- 1 Ampharos (Exp)
- 1 Ampharos EX (Dragon)
- 4 Dunsparce (SS)
- 2 Wobbuffet (SS)

20 Trainers
- 4 Rare Candy
- 2 Lady Outing
- 2 TV Reporter
- 1 Crystal Shard
- 1 Oracle
- 1 Town Volunteers
- 1 Fisherman
- 2 Professor Elm's Training Method
- 1 Warp Point
- 1 Switch

20 Energy
- 4 Psychic
- 4 Fire
- 4 Lightning
- 4 Rainbow Energy

The Gym Leader at my local league tweaked this yesterday, and he was able to get out the Alakazam/Amphy line by turn 3-4, and the Sky 'Kazam by turn 5.

This fix seems to work pretty good, but I don't know if anything else should be done. BTW, I don't have any Holo 'Catty, or Boost (only got 1).

Any other fixes would be appriciated, since the Gym Challenge in Florida is this Saturday.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back