Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Missouri States Report, 1st Place Masters

Jayson

I played Dialga.

Round 1 - Tim w/ Gigas
I had a slowish start but eventually got out two Dialga, Bronzong and Skuntank. Gigas can't keep up with the prize denial of poketurn, and it didn't help that he had to find a switch every turn he wanted to sacrifice because of skuntank's poison.

1-0

Round 2 - Another Gigas
He got a T2 gigas and KOed something of mine with a heads on the punch. I drew into a pretty decent Toxicroak/Skuntank setup with a Cynthia, but no stadium. So I played down like 5 of the 8 cards, dropped an Uxie for 5, still no stadium. So I think I just passed and let him giga blaster a crobat or something. Next turn I play another Cynthia and find a couple stadiums. I poison and swing for 60. He heals the poison with his body, drops a mesprit to stop my poison next turn but I spray it. He punches. I scoop up that Croak, send it back out without damage, switch to a Snowpoint stadium to put me out of Giga Blaster range, poison and swing for 60 again. For some reason he SSUs his lone gigas either this turn or the next. I have no idea why, because it puts him at a terrible board position. I would understand the move if he had powered anything else up, but so far all of his attachments have gone to the active to heal poison. Anyways I get a Dialga up now that I'm under zero pressure and he has to sacrifice again to get an attacker back in the game, putting me a couple prizes ahead. I win after a couple turns of swinging at his Gigas.

2-0

Round 3 - Palkia/Dialga
I start with a Pachi to his Dialga, going first, and CFF for Dialga/Houndoom/Honchkrow. My metal resistance and smash short means he can't deafen me on his T1, so he just attaches and passes. I retreat to Honch and start spreading some damage around. He deafens for 10, then next turn crobats and second strikes. I respond with a KO from Houndoom. He pearl breaths. I move an energy to Dialga, scoop the Houndoom, bring Pachi up and smash short. He does some scoop-upping of his own I think, but can only splash turn. I bring up Dialga with a couple metals and get some good flips with remove lost to seal the game.

3-0

Round 4 - Bela w/ Dialga
We both had Houndooms out pretty early. I lead off with a Honchkrow spreading damage around, sniping a Baltoy T1 I believe, and he opts to send out a Dialga first which I promptly hit with Houndoom. I was a prize ahead when time was called and I think I was also in a position to get another 1-hit with Houndoom.

4-0

Round 5 - Minnesota guy w/ Machamp
I go first with a lone Skuntank and he candies to Machamp on T1.

4-1

Round 6 - Steven w/ Palkia/Dialga
He gets a fast Palkia out, so I poketurn whatever he Pearl Breath'd and smash short him. I notice he has a lot of poketurns in his hand sooo I know it's going to be a while before I take any prizes. Next turn poketurns the active, gets an energy gain with a cyrus, attaches energy and gain to the fresh palkia, then splash turns and promotes an Uxie. I didn't have much out so I locked it in with Houndoom's first attack for a few turns while I build up a Dialga with special metals. Eventually he SSUs the Uxie and brings up Palkia, levels up and snipes my Pachi. I get to Cynthia for 8 and draw into more metals and start hitting with Remove Lost. I get decent flips and he gets upset. He starts making some really bad misplays, calling Bronzong's power to apparently try and bait out my power sprays, when moving an energy would actually mess him up. Of course I don't spray him. Anyways his Mesprit drops never really hurt me because most of my draw comes from supporters anyways, and I can take a lot more hits before needing to Poketurn thanks to my special metals, so I eventually get ahead.

5-1

Round 7 - Zack w/ Beedrill
I play really poorly and almost lose. In the end time is called at 3-3 prizes. He warps, I send up a naked Dialga, and he's 10 short of KOing it. The next card he drew would have been a Buck's. I'm able to poketurn, and 80 from remove lost + poison kills his Beedrill.

6-1

I'm 2nd seed. My friend Emily who was using my exact list is 5-2, I think 11th or 12th seed?

Top 16 - Hannah w/ Torterra
Game 1: I get a Dialga start I think, locking trainers for a little while, but she starts to hard evolve a Turtwig with a few energies on it so I second strike it. She gets a Sceptile up, so the next turn I get my Lv.X up. She eventually sets up a Torterra but it's only doing like 60 damage and I remove lost a couple of its energies, then KO it. That puts me ahead 4 or 5 prizes and she scoops.
Game 2: I got a really fast start and she only set up one Torterra with no support, which I was able to 2-hit.

7-1

Top 8 - Tyler w/ Palkia/Dialga
Game 1: I start with Dialga, Skuntank, Houndoom, Bronzong, Psychic Energy, Poketurn, Energy Gain. I draw Psychic, then Dialga, then Psychic, then a few more turns of garbage and then I scoop.
Game 2: I get T1 deafen, T2 double crobats and second strike for the KO on his Palkia G. I spray two Uxies. He eventually sets up his Lv.X. I eventually kill it after some back and forth poketurning on both sides of the field. He premier balls to get it back - searches his deck, instead of his discard. I'm able to expand my bench and have like 3 attackers powered up by the time I run out of poketurns. I've taken 4 or 5 prizes by the time he takes his first 2, then I 2-hit that Palkia for the win.
Game 3: Another fast start. I go up two prizes and time is called.

8-1

Top 4 - Colin w/ Blastoise
Game 1: He gets a Dialga start, I start with a lone Honchkrow and a trash hand. I end up using Honcho's Command for like 4 turns to try and thin out my deck a bit, because I couldn't draw into any supporters or dark energy or anything to get me going. Eventually I hit a roseanne, and start sniping things. He also takes a decent amount of damage off of Galactic HQ. Once he sets up some Blastoises, he goes to put energy on top of his deck with Dialga but I spray it. So he digs a random 3 cards a few times and ends up discarding a lot of vital stuff. Whenever a Blastoise comes active I'm able to poison it to shut off its power, and most of his Blastoises are in 1-hit range by the time he's set up, so I just mow through them with Dialga and he scoops.
Game 2: He gets an absol start. I had 3 basics in my opening hand but only played down 1, to try and protect the lone cyrus I started with. He hits an energy. I cyrus and start deafen locking him. He hits a power spray and poketurn, but misses the Roseannes I got off of Cyrus, so I get set up a little more. I end up with a 0 card hand so he retreats for a Blastoise and starts beating me up. When we're down to 3-3 prizes and less than 15 minutes in the round, he snipes my bronzong and a damaged crobat. I catch up by flash biting an absol with 50 on it twice, and killing his active Blastoise. He gets 4 more energy on the field to my surprise with dig well and his normal attachment, and hits my tanked Dialga for 60. So even if I level up, I'm still KOable if I don't flip some heads on remove lost. I have a honchkrow on my bench with an energy, and he has an Uxie with 20. I try to draw into my last poketurn or my 4th metal energy with a Lookers, but whiff on both.
Game 3: sudden death, 1 prize. He gets another Dialga start =/ I deafen it a few times, he retreats to an Uxie which I deafen once, he retreats to another Uxie and levels up, I finally find my Lv.X and remove lost + poison for the game. I love Colin <3

9-1

Top 2 - Emmanuel w/ Machamp
You knowwwwwwww
I donk a lone Machop, then a lone Unown Q.

10-1

Emily lost in top 16 to Emmanuel but this is her first year playing so we're all really excited for her. My other three friends all went 4-3 (with Octillery, G&G, and Torterra), and it's their first year playing too. For one of them, it's his first tournament ever. So we all go home very happy, and we all can't wait to go back in April for regionals. =]

Props:
Vince, Kendle and the rest of the staff
Getting to see friends from Memphis, Louisville, and St. Louis all at one event
Taylor, Louis and Sam for being the 1st 2nd and 3rd best seniors ever
My own special vegan pizza! Vince is the bestttt
Emily and the rest of my carload of friends for doing so well in their first year of competitive play. Expect some great players to come out of Evansville in the next couple years.
Colin for being so pretty
Carlos for being so pretty
Jake for showing up for a little while after his college interviews

Slops:
Steven's sour grapes about remove lost
Trying to make the trip to St. Louis a day trip. I was awake for a total of 22 hours =p

Last edited:
GO JAYSON! WEWT!

Lol I remember working with you a bit on Redshark, heh, it's fantastic that you won... lol @ the top 2 match. : D

Thanks for coming down Jayson, and I hope your car wasn't too weighted down taking all of our money and trophies back to Kentucky!!

Vince

GReat job jayson again! u can play ur buttt off. maybe we can practice ON REDSHARK a few times b4 regionals.

see u soon!

Riq =D

It was a great tournament, the best part was when Yamato showed up in full samurai-gear in T4, and then Jay had to battle him and Hitler at the same time, before Joe Rogan came in and blew Hitler's brains out.

Well done you =D

good job on your 1st place finish, i am building a g deck but i am having trouble getting dialga lv x quick, so how were you able to get him out?

Quick replies because I'm simultaneously cooking dinner:

Ariadosman: Had fun testing with you, even if we only ever finished like two games. ;D

ColdCoates90: Thanks David, ilu<3

Jason: Mhm =]

meganium45: Your tournaments are THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

kristi: You knowwwww

swanton1717: Aw Colin thanks for believing in me! I owe you a million dinners.

hitmonchan93: You knowwwwww

Pokemon--Foo: lolwut?

Bulbachar: Thanks Aaron, good luck with Blissrai this season! lol.

MadHatter: Joshhhh our decks are so good. Big props to you.

Riq: You're awesome, sorry to hear about your donks =< Seeya at regionals!

MonsterOfTheLake: ilu<3 You always make my day.

Scoop_Phase: I got him out with Bebe's Search. You should try it, it works pretty good in my experience. ;D

PokeMontoya: I was so excited when we compared states lists and I found we were running almost the same thing. It wasn't until then that I knew I actually had a decent deck. You're straight-up G, Adrian =D

lilgroudon: You SSUed a 9-energy Gigas! Ughhh you would've beaten me if not for that. Good game though. =]

Last edited:
Back