Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mono-Ambush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime

Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host
Okay, so like Ambush was Empoleon/Lucario. Two different types made it hard for energy, and stuff, so here is a mono-Ambush using the new Flygon from SW.

4 Trapinch SW
3 Vibrava SW
2 Flygon SW
1 Flygon ex d (maybe 2)
4 Riolu DP
3 Lucario DP
1 Lucario lv.X MT
1 Holon Castform (1/9 chance of starting with it)
TOTAL: 19

4 Multi Energy
4 DRE
8 Fighting Energy
TOTAL: 16

3 Roseanne's Research
4 Castaway
4 Bebe's Search
2 Steven's Advice
2 Copycat
1 Scott
3 Rare Candy
2 Night Maintenance
2 Lake Boundary
2 Strength Charm
TOTAL: 25

Vibrava for just (F) can spread 10 damage on all the opponent's pokemon. There isn't any sniping, but you do have Lucario that can also spread damage while doing 40 damage. Then you have Flygon ex d that can do 80 and 10 to anything with damage on it and then also 10 to basics in between turns. I could see someone running 2 Flygon ex d and just 1 Flygon SW. Lake Boundary is to take advantage of the weaknesses. Flygon ex d with Lake Boundary in play can OHKO many psychic threats (that are weak to psychic), helping Lucario's weakness. Roseanne's Research is nice when played with Castform. Grab a basic energy and a Holon's Castform. Strength Charm for extra damage, or they could be Cessation Crystals too I guess.

Just an idea that popped into my head yesterday. Feel free to abuse it and do well with it if you can.

Too much Castaway, not enough draw. (+2 Steven's or Oak)
Take out the Copycats (or just 1) for Wager/s
No Flygon ex d, 1 more Flygon SW.
Maybe take out a Trapinch for more draw.
Then take out the Bebe's, and Put in Celio's, since you don't run Flex anymore.

Any reason why to take out the Flygon ex d? You don't explain much of your changes at all and thus your whole contribution isn't that helpful.

I like the Flygon line, but I can't help but think there needs to be some energy acceleration, whether it be Scrambles or Flygon d and delta Trapinches.

OBVIOUSLY drop Flygon ex d. I mean, it totally doesn't combo or anything. :D

I don't see how there can be any energy acceleration unless you take out the Lucario and focus more on the Flygon. And then the deck becomes just the same old flygon deck with a new middle stage that gets no focus. Flygon d is about the only energy acceleration you are going to find. And it doesn't work with the new Flygon (unless you attach to a delta vibrava or trapinch) or Lucario.

The idea might not be really do-able. It was just an idea anyways. Just posting to spread the idea and maybe spark an idea in someone's head and they can just keep on rolling from that.

edit: I guess you could substitute Exeguttor d for Lucario, and then use the Delta Flygon and Delta Trapinch but keep the non-delta Vibrava. Then run delta rainbow energy and fighting energy (and castform). EH...

4 Trapinch SW
3 Vibrava SW
2 Flygon SW
1 Flygon ex d (maybe 2)
4 Riolu DP
3 Lucario DP
1 Lucario lv.X MT
1 Holon Castform (1/9 chance of starting with it)
TOTAL: 19

Drop the Castform and the Flygon d EX. You'll never get there with 1 of each (ok, not *never* but seldom, if ever). Add another Flygon SW for consistency. Use the extra spot for a Scramble.

4 Multi Energy
4 DRE
8 Fighting Energy
TOTAL: 16

Change Multi to Fighting.

3 Roseanne's Research
4 Castaway
4 Bebe's Search
2 Steven's Advice
2 Copycat
1 Scott
3 Rare Candy
2 Night Maintenance
2 Lake Boundary
2 Strength Charm
TOTAL: 25

Drop a Roseanne's for a Great Ball, and a Castaway for a Great Ball. My bias on that one. Drop Bebe's for Celio's. Otherwise, pretty consistent. No SSU or Switch is necessary, although either 2 Warp Point or 2 Windstorm would help vs Cessation, so Stance and Irritating Buzz are not affected.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Also, you called it MONO-AMBUSH, so adding the Flygon EX d makes it MONO-AMBUSH WITH TECH (so there).

Last edited:
I understand why someone would want Flygon in the deck, but Flygon has less synergy with Lucario than Machamp does! It only has 1 attack and it's attack doesn't even spread damage. Now, it's body can do 10 to the defending in between turns, but that doesn't hurt the pokemon sitting on the bench.

And like PenguinMaster said, the deck might need energy acceleration to keep up with the stage 1 decks (my assumption on the stage 1 decks).

I didn't really want to focus heavily on Flygon anyways. I kind of wanted to abuse the vibrava. But I guess the vibrava isn't as good as the holy Prinplup.

I'll take any comments happily, but please try to explain them. Thanks all.

If you're focusing on spreading dmg, why don't you try Dodrio MT?
It's a good dmg spreader, and the free retreat is nice too.
Combine it with either 4 Ces. Crystal and 4 TGW to lock the opp. or Absol ex.

I don't like Dodrio. It is a rather sub-par damage spreader imho because it only spreads damage for 3 energy. 3 energy is pretty expensive in the current environment with pokemon laying 80+ damage for 1-2 energy. The free retreat is nice, and the fighting resistance is nice, but I think I'll pass on it because of it's expensiveness.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

That might work with Blissey, but Lucario does almost nothing with Boost Energy.

correct me if im wrong, but doesn't the flygon ex use 2 psychic energies?
if it does, then I ask you, why do you have 4 multi ?

I like it :)
IMO flygon ex d is a keeper but with your list you have only 1 castform to allow you to attack with it (unless I missed something) so I think you should add a couple of psychic energys to grab with your castaways or an other castform.

I guess it's kind of funny. I try to make a Mono-Ambush and I end up with a bigger energy problem than the original Ambush had.

I don't know really. If Lucario was just delta...LOL

I like it :)
IMO flygon ex d is a keeper but with your list you have only 1 castform to allow you to attack with it (unless I missed something) so I think you should add a couple of psychic energys to grab with your castaways or an other castform.

I like this flygon ex too but what if castform is prized? Then what? Is there anyway to fit phychic ennergy? so one phy/multi/fighting would work? or rougue it out and change to two castform and Trapinch d just in case you have to delta draw?

You could probably get away with 4 Multi and 4 Fighting Energy and 4 Psychic Energy.

JTLYK, Ambush was Empoleon/Marowak d.

Jedi.dec was Empoleon/Lucario.

And why a 4-3-3 line of flygon?

Because I've been stressing how useful the vibrava is from the start. It can spread damage for one energy. You almost want to start with Trapinch to get the T2 Vibrava to spread 10 on everything and then go for the T3 Flygon ex d and start doing 80's and 10 to anything with damage.

Also, the focus was supposed to be on the synergy between vibrava and lucario.

And I know Ambush was Empoleon/Marowak d.

I'm with King Gengar on some of the suggested changes. Flygone ex d sounds good, but without energy acceleration & with only one Castform it just seems sub-optimal to me. The Great Balls would be good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back