Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

More technical Unlimited Format questions

sivart345

So I just want a few things to be crystal clear.

1a) Pokémon Powers and Abilities are functionally equivalent. So if something refers to "Pokémon Power" it is the same as saying "Ability".

1b) BUT, Poké-Powers and Poké-Bodies are subclasses. If something refers to Poké-Power (or Poké-Body) it refers to THAT specific type of power ONLY; but if it says "Ability" or "Pokémon Power" it includes Poké-Powers and Poké-Bodies.

2a) When referring to "Trainer card", "Supporter card", "Stadium card", and "Item card". It can get tricky. Basically one uses the definition of that cards format for what it is referring to.

Example: Item Finder and Dark Vileplume refer to "Trainer card". At that point. There was not a distinct difference in the types of Trainer cards; therefore they include Trainer, Supporter, Stadium, and Item cards.
BUT when Junk Arm refers to "Trainer Card" and at that time, Supporter Cards and Stadium Cards were separate classes. So Junk Arm could not get Supporter Cards or Stadium Cards (essentially, it only gets what are considered "Item cards").

2b) For the actual definition of the card, one uses the most recent format.
The term "Trainer card" is an umbrella term that includes subclasses Supporter, Stadium, and Item.
Anything that was deemed a "Supporter Card" only (i.e. Bebe's Search) now counts as a "Trainer Card" also.
Anything that was deemed only as a "Trainer Card" (i.e old Rare Candy, Item Finder, Pokémon Retriever) is now considered an "Item Card" (in addition to "Trainer Card")

3) Does Ace Spec Computer Search and old Computer Search count as the same card?
(Aka does the Ace Spec count as functional errata and make the old Computer Search an Ace Spec?)

I had read that the Ace Spec is NOT technically a reprint; therefore Base Set Computer Search may be played like a normal Trainer (up to 4 copies). This is VERY important to know for Unlimited Format. I need to know if this is correct.

EDIT: I forgot a question.

4) If I play [Base Set] Scoop Up on an evolved Pokemon are the evolution cards put into my hand or discarded?
I have had several people argue that evolution cards are not "attached"; therefore, the evolution cards would not be discarded.

Last edited:
1a) Pokémon Powers and Abilities are functionally equivalent. So if something refers to "Pokémon Power" it is the same as saying "Ability".
No, they are NOT functionally equivalent. Things that specifically affect one have no effect on the other.

1b) BUT, Poké-Powers and Poké-Bodies are subclasses. If something refers to Poké-Power (or Poké-Body) it refers to THAT specific type of power ONLY; but if it says "Ability" or "Pokémon Power" it includes Poké-Powers and Poké-Bodies.
If it refers to Pokemon Power, it refers to both Poké-Powers and Poké-Bodies.
But as noted, this is not the case with Abilities.

2a) When referring to "Trainer card", "Supporter card", "Stadium card", and "Item card". It can get tricky. Basically one uses the definition of that cards format for what it is referring to.

Example: Item Finder and Dark Vileplume refer to "Trainer card". At that point. There was not a distinct difference in the types of Trainer cards; therefore they include Trainer, Supporter, Stadium, and Item cards.
BUT when Junk Arm refers to "Trainer Card" and at that time, Supporter Cards and Stadium Cards were separate classes. So Junk Arm could not get Supporter Cards or Stadium Cards (essentially, it only gets what are considered "Item cards").
Correct

2b) For the actual definition of the card, one uses the most recent format.
The term "Trainer card" is an umbrella term that includes subclasses Supporter, Stadium, and Item.
Anything that was deemed a "Supporter Card" only (i.e. Bebe's Search) now counts as a "Trainer Card" also.
Anything that was deemed only as a "Trainer Card" (i.e old Rare Candy, Item Finder, Pokémon Retriever) is now considered an "Item Card" (in addition to "Trainer Card")
From the point of view of new cards and effects, yes.

3) Does Ace Spec Computer Search and old Computer Search count as the same card?
(Aka does the Ace Spec count as functional errata and make the old Computer Search an Ace Spec?)
Yes, but you can't use the old Computer Search in Expanded format since there has been a "major text change"; the card type.
You are allowed to use one copy of the old card in Unlimited format, and it counts as an Ace Spec.

I had read that the Ace Spec is NOT technically a reprint; therefore Base Set Computer Search may be played like a normal Trainer (up to 4 copies). This is VERY important to know for Unlimited Format. I need to know if this is correct.
No, this is not correct.

EDIT: I forgot a question.

4) If I play [Base Set] Scoop Up on an evolved Pokemon are the evolution cards put into my hand or discarded?
I have had several people argue that evolution cards are not "attached"; therefore, the evolution cards would not be discarded.
Not sure I follow their reasoning. The card specifically states to "return it's Basic Pokemon card to your hand". That goes to the hand.
What do they think will happen to the other evolution cards? Do they think they will stay in play?
No, they are attacked. They're touching. That's attached. They get discarded.

If you're playing with older cards, you probably want to access all the versions of the Compendium, which can be found here:
http://compendium.pokegym.net/

Back