Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Most Valuable/Expensive English Language Pokemon Cards?

Simfish

I know that the PR Raichu and the 1st Edition Base Set Charizard (PSA 10) are up there, but I'm wondering what else is out there? Especially options that most of us collectors would have a decent shot at owning (given a good amount of disposable cash)?

It seems that most of the really desirable cards are Japanese promos or tournament prizes.

Rarest/Most expensive English cards (not in order):
No. 1, 2 and 3 Trainer- 3 of each made each year and given to the top competitors at Worlds
No. 1 Value- $7,500
No. 2 Value- $4,000- $5,000
No. 3 Value- $2,000- $3,000
These values are based around the highest selling prices, as paid by Mr Persin each year, others have sold for less though.

Prerelease Raichu- Printed in error, value around $10,000

English VS set- Given out at the TMB, very few sets made.
I've heard the value of $10,000 thrown around but have never seen any completed sales to back it up.

Sample set- Made by Nintendo in violation of Wizards contract- 40-50 sets made
When they first came out each card was around $500, now a full set will probably cost around $500-$1,000.

Trainer Decks A & B- Brock and Misty's decks given out to league in the early days.
I am unsure of the value but I think at least a couple of hundred for each.

Worlds Stamped cards- The Finalists are the rarest and can sometimes pull in around $750-$1,000 each, with value decreasing as you move down the rankings.

Stadium Challenge Deoxys- There was only one Stadium Challenge this year, so very few were given out. Value around $200- $250.

Those are the rarest English cards off the top of my head, I'll edit the post if any more come to mind.

You forgot Championship Arena (which is in the range of the Stadium Challenge Deoxys), the WB Kid's Creator Pack, and the red cheeks E3 Pikachu DJ.

Ah, thanks Wayne.

Championship Arena- Given out to competitors at Worlds 2005, around $100-150 value.

WB Kid's Creator Pack- A competition was held to design the artwork for Pokémon cards, and the winner designs were made into actual cards. The 5 cards were Pikachu (mascot of Pokemon, an obvious choice), Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip (the 3 starter Pokemon of the current generation, and Wurmple (I don't even know). They came in a booster pack just like regular expansions, except the 5 cards were garenteed inside each. A sealed pack is around $100.

Red Cheeked E3 Pikachu- This was given out at the E3 convention in May 1999, the contain the E3 Gold Stamp were the collection symbol appeared on Wizards cards (being Base Set it didn't have one).
This card has Red Cheeks and is Shadowless making it alot rarer than the Yellow Cheeked version which was given out in Nintendo Power.
Red Cheek Value- $100-150
Yellow Cheek Value- $10

Championship Arena- Given out to competitors at Worlds 2005, around $100-150 value.

I've never seen one sell for less than $200. Very good info though as to where the cards came from and the relative values on the rest.

And a few more more:

No HP Error Persian Promo- Released in Nintendo Power July 2007. Due to Wizards of the Coast's ruling of "Play as Printed" this card was useless in a deck and when you find one it's almost always in unplayed condition. Value $90-120

No Damage Base Set Ninetales- Error missing the normal 80 damage that Fire Blast did. Due to Wizards of the Coast's ruling of "Play as Printed" this card was useless in a deck and when you find one it's almost always in unplayed condition. Value $250-500 (these have a very wide range in value $300 is a good median price)

Base Wartortle -> Wartortle Error- It was printed with Wartortle pictured in the Evolution box saying that Wartortle evolved from Wartortle. Value $50- 75

Team Rocket Non-Holo Holo Dark Dragonite- Card number 5 in the set, Dark Dragonite could be found in non holo even though it was supposed to be holo. It came both 1st Edition and Unlimited.
1st Edition Value $250
Unlimited Value $150

Error 1st Edition Pikachu Promo #1- Sometimes referred to as Ivy Pikachu, these were found in 1st Edition Jungle packs for a very limited time. The winner of the 'Create a Baby Pokemon Contest' was given 10 of these as a surprise prize as well. Value $125

Last edited:
I was offered a Championship Arena at Worlds the year for $100, I would have bought it but I was low on cash due to having bought alot of other stuff. So I just took the value from that. Maybe $100-200 would be better.

Yeah, $100 was really cheap. You could have easily made money off that one.

Very interesting, and thanks for the responses guys! I'm wondering though, what these might be:

English VS set- Given out at the TMB, very few sets made.
I've heard the value of $10,000 thrown around but have never seen any completed sales to back it up.

Sample set- Made by Nintendo in violation of Wizards contract- 40-50 sets made
When they first came out each card was around $500, now a full set will probably cost around $500-$1,000.

Trainer Decks A & B- Brock and Misty's decks given out to league in the early days.
I am unsure of the value but I think at least a couple of hundred for each.

I can honestly say I've never run across (or remember) them. Haven't been able to look them up either...any pics or pages on these?

Thanks!

PokeGym's Gallery is a great resource:
http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=210

TMB is Tropical Mega Battle.
This was before World Championships.
It was kind of like a crazy Pokemon party for the top 32 Jrs and Srs in the world, held in Hawaii.

Sample cards:
http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=182

Were allegedly illegally produced by Nintendo in violation of their contract with Wizards of the Coast
These were produced to demonstrate the new e-Reader technology and afterward a limited number of sets were given out to participants in NY and Europe.

Trainer Decks: Early league leaders were all Toys R Us employees and therefore not gamers themselves.
So WotC provided them with "Trainer Decks" so that they would have something to play with the kids to teach the game.
Have special red-bordered backs.
Cards and deck boxes from the two decks can be seen here:
http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=46

Last edited:
Nice, and again, thanks!

So right now, I'm trying to decide between a 1st Edition PSA 10 Base Set Charizard, and the Finalist's Tropical Wind Card from Worlds 2010. From a collector's vantage point, what would you view as more valuable/highly coveted? I guess this is a different thing for everybody, but I'm wondering what the verdict would be on PokeGym!

Yeah- Go with the Finalist card. The Charizard will always be there for you to buy later. The Finalist card won't.

Yeah- Go with the Finalist card. The Charizard will always be there for you to buy later. The Finalist card won't.

I suppose you're right. Scott from this website is selling the Finalist card, and I've read nothing but good reviews from the guy. Good mannered too. Unless someone else out there wants to speak out or forever hold his/her silence...

From my vantage point, the Charizard ALWAYS seems to be on sale. This seems kind of problematic to me...I wonder why it could be so highly coveted (or always available in stock)?

There is valuable english cards?? Really??

J/k of course . DJ and Wayne covered then very well imho.

The pre-riachu is the rarest of them all as far as english cards go. Worlds cards are next, although they don't bring anywhere near what they used to bring $ wise. I have the coolest picture ever of the pre release chu and my illustrator next to each other - something that will never happen again in my humble opinion!! I could hear the pre-chu saying " devolve me, i look better as a pikachu illustrator" !! LOLOL

As for the tmb vs set, i believe SteveP has one.
Very rare, very expensive. I personally have never seen 1 sell on e-bay, but I bet dave Persian would pay a pretty penny for the set( if he doesn't already have 1 lol) !!

Actually, i would have to say the vs tmb cards- as a set- are more rare then the pre -riachu. i mean I have personally seen 3 riachus, where as I have never( except in the gym's gallery) seen the vs tmb set. And if i had the cash, with my contacts , I believe i could purchase a pre-riachu. Outside of SteveP ( who i don't think would ever sell his)I have NO idea where to begin to find the tmb vs set. just saying.

Maybe I'm old school, but the early Japanese trophy cards are where it's at. The english promos have never quite matched up to the promos released in japan. Still don't, just look at the victory orb, gold ring pika, champion's league promos, players club promos, etc. I wish we had valuable cool promos for winning events like they do in Japan.

Maybe one day we will........

I still say the Pikachu Illustrator is the "Holy Grail" of Pokemon cards, but I own a mint 1 so maybe I'm a little biased ;)

Last edited:
I still say the #1 Worlds card is the #1 collectable out there.

I don't care from what event (Japanese/PUI), but there is something about having the #1 card!

That's something not even the Sniper has LOL.

Vince

I still say the Pikachu Illustrator is the "Holy Grail" of Pokemon cards, but I own a mint 1 so maybe I'm a little biased ;)

Still haven't sold that yet have you? :eek:

Maybe when I sell out and start actually raking in the dough...I'll be looking at you!

I still say the #1 Worlds card is the #1 collectable out there.

I don't care from what event (Japanese/PUI), but there is something about having the #1 card!

That's something not even the Sniper has LOL.
Well, it was in his family's possession at least for a little while.
Did Steve sell his to DP?

I believe John and Steve also at one point had a Number 1, 2 and 3 Trainer set from the Japanese 1999 tournament.

Back