Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

MSNBC my choice for Best Deck In Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaming_Spinach

Feature Editor
Here is a deck that was inspired partially by LBS from last year. At first, MSN referred to Meganium ex, Steelix ex, and Nidoqueen DF (aka Megalix); but (due to work done mostly by Partiarch, Scizor and a few others), Meganium has been replaced by Metagross DX (I will explain why later.)

Article Name: MSN-BC.
Author: Flaming_Spinach
Date: 1/10/09
Current Format: DX-DF

Much like LBS, MSN-BC wins by using insane amounts of energy acceleration, combo-ed with the Double-Rainbow-providing Holons Pokemon, and uber-powerful attackers to absolutely destroy your opponents’ board in very few turns.

I know you are really wondering this, so before we get to the list, I’m going to explain what all the letters in the name stand for. The typical MSN stands for the backbone of your deck, Metagross, Steelix, and Nidoqueen. The BC stands for the good starters you have, Beldum and Castform.

I’ll get into starts later, because now it’s time for everyone’s favorite part…

THE LIST

Pokemon: 26
4-2-4 Metagross (Conductive Body Beldum, 3 Metgross DX, 1 Metagross DS)
2-1-2 Nidoqueen DF
4 Holons Castform
1-1 Steelix-ex
1 LatiOs*
1 Holons Magnemite
1 Tauros CG
1 LatiOs d ex
1 LatiAs d Dual Aura

Energy: 11
4 Metal
7 Psychic

Trainers: 23
4 H. Transciever
3 H. Mentor
1 H. Researcher
1 H. Adventurer
1 H. Scientist
1 H. Farmer
4 Windstorm
4 Candy
2 Switch
2 Mr. Briney

Pokemon

displayimage.php

^The broken-est Pokemon in THE GAME (that you’ll never attack with).^

4 Beldum
Beldum is one of the best starters in the game right now. If you have 2 Beldum in play, their Bodies give them free retreat. For this reason, a Castfrom + Mentor + Energy start (the perfect setup), is virtually identical to Beldum + Mentor + Energy.

This is why the BC appears in the decks name. This deck has 8 IDEAL starters, while almost every other deck right now has only 4, their Castforms.

2 Metang
Metang isn’t worth much of a mention. You’ll only attack with it in extreme situations, and even then, it’s not that good. Just remember to not evolve any Beldums prematurely, you need 2 in play for their Boddies to be active.

displayimage.php

3 Metagross DX
Metagross is the key Pokemon in your deck. It is the source of your energy acceleration, and thus, the most important thing in your deck.

Since there is so much Psychic weakness in the format right now, Metagross is also a pretty good attacker. He can do 70 damage for 2 energy, which is something not many Pokemon can do.

1 Metagross d
This Metagross is around mainly for extra drawing power. You have no way to search out Trainers or Energy, so this Metagross is there just for that purpose. Delta Control once per turn can really add up, giving you a good hand full of just what you need.

Metagross can also take advantage of Lightning weakness (if you ever face it), and has the ability to OHKO absolutely ANYTHING if needed. Although, there is difficulty in getting enough energy in play to do so.

2-1-2 Nidoqueen DF
Nidoqueen takes over the roll of Pidgeot from LBS. 90% of the cards you need to win are Pokemon, so the ability to search them out at you will is enough of a stand-in for Pidgeot. Where Nidoqueen falls short, Metagross d gets you the cards you need.

Nidoqueens attack is also worth mentioning. 90 damage mid-to-late game is pretty nice, and the ability to take advantage of Metal Energies only helps more.

Her Preevolutions are also worth a small mention. Nidoran can be nice, as it has a 50% chance of preventing a T1 Delta Draw by your opponent (assuming that they are the 2 openers), or can deal 10 damage if your opponent can not attack back, or will retreat (a Beldum or something). Nidorina poisons for 2 energy, shutting down your opponents Powers, and possibly setting them up for a KO next turn. The large number of colorless energy costs for the whole line are just AWESOME.

4 Holons Castform
Here we have the MOST BROKEN Pokemon in the whole format. Without this, the deck doesn’t work. Castform provides 2 uses. It draws a ton of cards early game, and then proceeds to act as a DRE on any of your Pokemon. It is your ideal starter 98% of the time, which is why free-retreaters and cheap-retreaters are good to your strategy and the decks consistency.

displayimage.php
displayimage.php

1-1 Steelix-ex
Steelix ex is the main attacker in the deck. Without his gigantic 100 damage to anything in play, this deck (and LBS for that matter, last season) probably wouldn’t exist. He can also make use of Metal Energies (a power he did not have in LBS). This (plus 150HP) makes him uber-tankable while you just annihilate your opponents bench.

His lower stage is not worth mentioning, so I won’t.

1 LatiOs*
Notice the capitalized O. This is the one that hits Stage2s for 150 damage. I decided on this card over LatiAs*, mostly because most non-Stage 2s that are EXs are OHKOed by Steelix. So, between Steelix and LatiOs*, you can OHKO pretty much anything.

1 Holons Magnemite
Here we have the first of our TecH Pokemon. Holons Magnemite is used primarily as energy, if we need a colorless energy and have a Mentor available.

A very often over-looked ability of Holons Magnemite is that it can actually do 10 damage to the bench. Of course this has been meaningless before, but since Metagross can actually retrieve Metal Energies, Magnemite just may use his attack some time.

1 Tauros CG

Very simple use. This is an anti-stadium card. Useful to get rid of BFs, Holon Legacys, and Crystal Beaches. Tauros is also a decent starter, able to grab you 2 basics for 1 energy.

1 LatiOs d ex
Notice which letter is capitalized again. Fire-type hurts your deck pretty bad, so you need some way of getting around it. LatiOs ex gives you that and more. It’s also a free-retreater, a pseudo-safeguarder, and one more good starting basic. It provides so many functions, how can you say ‘no’?

1 LatiAs d Dual Aura
Pure TecH here. Gets rid of the Body on UF Houndoom, and a few other evolutions. This is one of your few BAD starters, so if Hounddom (etc.) does not exist in your metagame, you can easily toss this card for something that will see a little more play.

Energy

displayimage.php

4 Metal
Broken. A few of these on Steelix will WRECK your opponents. Nidoqueen can also use them. Metagross d too. And Magnemite. And Researcher grabs them from your deck. I’d play 10 or 11 if it was legal.

7 Psychic
Basic Energy. Metagross retrieves them from the discard. Tell me when I’m getting too complicated for you.

Trainers

4 Holon Transciever
Arguably the most broken trainer in Modified format. When you pull this card from your deck, you are effectively grabbing any 1 of FIVE cards, and better yet, you get to CHOOSE which one you want. Don’t play less than 4. Ever.

3 Holon Mentor

I shouldn’t have to explain why this card is so good. Anyone with the ability to find this article on the internet should already know.

We play 3 so you have a good chance of starting with one.

displayimage.php
displayimage.php

1 Holon Researcher
Grabs most of the Pokemon from your deck. You will often use this to grab a Nidoqueen, then use Nidoqueen to grab something else from your deck. Remember that this can also grab you Metal Energies if needed.

1 Holon Adventurer
Straight draw. How can you not like it?

1 Holon Scientist
A stand-in for Copycat. This isn’t the best card in the format, but it has its uses.

1 Holon Farmer
This + Nidoqueen = BROKEN. Get any Pokemon you want from your discard, and put it right in your hand. Of course I’d favor Pokemon Retriever over this, but you have to make due with what you have. The only thing you have to remember is to not deplete you discard of all the Psychic Energies, because you still need them to use for Super Conductivity.

4 Windstorm
Anti-stadium and anti-tool. This card is necessary for your deck, so don’t play without it. Since you play Tauros, you may be able to take out 1, but that is up to you.

4 Rare Candy
The most broken-est card in the history of the game. If you don’t play 4, I will hunt you down and kick you in the shins.

2 Switch
The death of Steelix is his 5 retreat. You need a large number of Switchers (Switch, Warp Point, etc.) to counter this. You can play them in whatever balance you want, but I prefer Switch over Warp Point, because, since you hit the bench, giving your opponent a free retreat option can hurt you.

displayimage.php

2 Mr. Briney
You want to start with Castform. You don’t want it to clog up your bench. The solution? You need some way to get rid of those Castforms when they no longer serve a purpose. Briney does that by returning Castform to your hand, instantly turning it from a Pokemon to an energy.

Briney also helps you re-use Tauroses, so you could play less than 4 Windstorms if you want.

Strategy
Anyone who’s heard of LBS knows what we’re going for here. You want to start with one of your optimal starters Beldum, or Castform (B and C from before). With one of these and a Mentor, you can get your whole deck setup really nice.

You want to get out a Nidoqueen ASAP, as well as a Steelix (or its earlier stage not worth mentioning), and pile energy on it. Get a Metagross DX or 2 in play, then retreat/Briney/Sacrifice the Castform and smash stuff with Steelix. Setup LatiOs*, LatiOs ex, and your other auxiliary attackers as needed.

Possible Changes

Some things you can do to the list above, depending on your Metagame…

-1 LatiAs d Dual Aura
If BOOM is not big in your area, this card can go. It doesn’t help in many other matches, so why not remove it?

-1 or 2 Windstorm
Windstorm is another helpful TecH card. If hurtful stadiums are nowhere to be seen in your area, you can reduce them. Or, if you find Tauros + Brineys + Winstorms is overkill, you may make the choice to remove some of them. Never remove all 4.

-1 Switch or Mr. Briney
Again, this is up to the preference of the player. If you like Warp Point more, go ahead and play it. If you want to play 3 Switch and 1 Brineys, go for it. It’s up to you.

+1 or more cards onto the Holon Engine
Playing 2 Researchers or Adventurers is a usually a good idea. If you don’t need any of the above cards, these are the first things I suggest including.

+1-1 Steelix line
Steelix is very important, so having one prized is very bad. Playing a 2-2 line is not necessary, but can be very helpful some times.

+1 Nidorina
For the same reason as Steelix. Having a prized Nidorina is bad, so playing 2 can save you, and give you a better chance to draw it with Delta Draw, Metagross ds power, and Adventurers.

+1 or 2 Warp Points
The choice between Switchs and Warp Points is entirely up to you. I suggest Switch, but you can do whatever you want.

Others:
There is a ton of other TecH cards you could play in this deck. I could go on for pages listing them all and their uses. Just use your imagination, kiddies.

MATCHUPS

Due to repeated bashing of my last article in this area, I will not be giving percentages. I have come up with a solution I think you will all enjoy…

Or not. In that case, I’m right and you’re wrong because I’m the one doing the typing.

Metanite: Easy-ish. Many Metanites play no Farmer, so if you can Ash (Mudslide I mean. Don’t you rememberBex?) a Dragonite early, you will gain a huge advantage. And since Metanite stands ~0 chance of OHKOing your Steelix back, you can probably take out 2 Draggys in 2 turns. After that, you win easily due to resistance, and the removal of Metanites way to do any consistent damage. Eventually LatiOs* comes out and sweeps house.

I know what some of you will say. You’re going to say, “Well, Sceptile d ex Pwns Steelix!” Well here’s my response to that. If I can get 4 Energy on Steelix, I can get 5. Once you lose 2 Draggys, YOU LOSE THE GAME. And LatiOs* still sweeps house.

If Metanite wasn’t the most consistant deck on Earth right now, this would be an auto-win.
EASY

BOOM: You’re at an immediate advantage, because they can either shut down your Nidoqueens, or Castforms. Steelix can wreak havoc on them, as can LatiOs ex, LatiAs d Dual Aura, and Tauros. Nidoqueen can OHKO Banettes (but can be OHKOed back), and Metagross d can do so as well. Overall, you have many ways to remove a stadium lock, and many ways to KO them, their good starts and flips can kill you, though.
GOOD

Raieggs: Use Metagross DX to grab a bunch of KOs, since he does OHKO everything in the deck (Raichus with a little help). Queen can also OHKO a ton of stuff. And remember the importance of putting Metal Energies on benched Pokemon to prevent Zzzap damage. Windstorms and Tauros helps. Late game, Steelix comes out and can grab 2-3 prizes easily.
GOOD

Flygon d ex: There’s still about 100 versions of this deck, so an analysis is kind of hard. Either way, your opponent 2HKOs Steelix ex (while it’s murdering their bench), and they have no way to stop an OHKO from LatiOs*. I don’t really see how they can win.
AUTO-WIN

Flariados: Ugh. I h8 Flariados. Sometimes, I want to play more than 4 Switchers just for this deck. Anyway, try not to play your EXs until you ABSOLUTELLY need to. You want to be able to Briney anything. Metagross gives you an advantage via Weakness, and resistance on Steelix helps as well (when he comes out). Overall, you have many, MANY ways to OHKO them, and 4 ways to remove Status (outside of retreating). I don’t see how this can be TOO hard.
GOOD

Arcanine ex: LatiOs d ex. He exists solely as a counter to Arcanine. And he obliterates it. Try to get them to attach extra energy to Flame Swirl, then send up LatiOs and OHKO the Arcanine, removing all their energy from play.
EASY

Mewtrick: Steelix just OWNZ them. With 1 Metal attached, Manectrics do 0 damage. And you Ash Mews easily for 2 prizes. They also have no way of shutting down your Metagrosses powers, so you should have a good selection of energy you can attach to you Steelixes. As with BOOM, they can either shut down your Nidoqueens or Castforms. They can’t do both.

As long as you get setup, you win. The problem is setting up, though.
GOOD

Scizor-ex: Scizor does low damage, so pile Metal Energies on your Steelix, and use it to tear apart their bench. If you can take all 6 prizes from their benched Pokemon, you should do it. If not, go after their active last, since it will be a 2HKO no matter how you look at it. (You could play some TecH to OHKO Scizor if it’s too big around you).
EASY

5 Questions You’re going to ask me
Time to start a new section, so I can answer some of your questions before they’re even asked.

Q. Why so little Draw?
A. The Holon Engine is usually enough draw to get you setup. And once you get Nidoqueen in play, she gets your whole deck out pretty quickly.

Q. The matchups are Wrong! [Deck X] Auto-wins vs. this!
A. With the huge number of variables in any game or match, it’s not uncommon for 2 people to disagree on how a matchup plays out. Unless I overlooked something huge, I stand by my conclusions.

Q. OMG! YOU PLAY [CARD X]!?! I PLAY [CARD Y]!! IT’S SO MUCH BETTER YOU N00B!!
A. Sure. I don’t play the exact list I posted above either. It’s just a place to start, and it SHOULD be TecHed to your metagame.

Q. I hate the name ‘MSNBC’. Why do you get to name it?
A. Because I’m better than you. Now stop asking stupid questions.

Q. You’re a fifth-century Greek city-state growing increasingly concerned over repeated Persian incursions into the central Peloponnesian peninsula. How many Hoplites can you dispatch to Thermopylae without jeopardizing the triremes commanded by Thermistocles for the naval engagement at Artemisium?
A. 13.

Nice to see it finally got posted!

For those of you who are wondering, I am currently 18-4 with this deck in a tournament setting. 2 of those losses are to Metanite, when I prized my Onix, and the other 2 are to Boom earlier today, when I played a version unfit to defeat Boom (because I under-estimated how many there would be).

This deck is incredible. You should ALL take a serious look at it.

You DON'T have an autowin vs Flygon d Ex XD

I can play right now if you want. (Im unbeate with it vs this).

Overall, nice article BUT strange list (BRINEY o_O). You should drop Brineys for 1-1 Steelix or you fail if something is prized.

brineys cuz youll be attacking with metagross and queen more than steelix lol
i played this deck but with 2-2
it doesnt really matter if its 1-1 of 2-2 though
ugh msn BC
will people actually use this name?NO
just call it Metalix ;D

Very nice. 2 things I think you should have gone over are the lugia ex being played in alot of versions of Metanite now,and the Salamence matchup.

Nice deck but there is one thing that I am concered of the most - the draws at start.

wow all these archetype decks that i never hear about are being posted lol. Nice deck though and it finally did find the version of LBS.

HEY, I use this deck ;p

But I don't use queen.

And only 8 energy O.O

This deck WORKS like a charm. It really does. I would have won had time not ended against Keaton.

Good artice btw! I was gonna make one though :frown:

I like the deck and I saw it being used at a CC. It's pretty good but you need MORE Holon's Pokes. Just 4 Casties isn't going to cut it in a deck like this.

I played something like this (+2-2 scizor ex line). Got me 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (18-4 with it, facing t2 doom twice without latios). Its really a very hot deck. Only problem I find is getting energy early in the discard....but then again, I usually get terrible starts with it anyways. ;/

Everyone knows BBC is better than MSNBC. What does BBC stand for, you ask? Why, the British Broadcasting Company!

Very interesting read. I've seen decks like this developing here and there. I think it was BigChuck that had been giving Steelix EX a try in his SallyGross. It's not all that surprising that a list for something like this popped up.

Just out of interest, what do you think that the SallyGross matchup is for this deck?

You DON'T have an autowin vs Flygon d Ex XD

With the huge number of variables in any game or match, it’s not uncommon for 2 people to disagree on how a matchup plays out.

I am currently 5-0 against Flygon decks in-tournament

Nice deck but there is one thing that I am concered of the most - the draws at start.

Yeah, this deck is slightly inconsistant in its starts. That's why I play 4 Mentor, and 4 Switchers.

Thing is, even if you get a bad start, you still stand an excellent chance against most opponents, due to the sheer POWER of Steelix ex + LatiOs*

Thats what famer's for

Yes. You have to BE CAREFUL with your farmers. Randomly discarding Transcievers will end up hurting you if the game goes on long.

Keaton just went 10-1 w/ this deck! FTWWW, 1st and 2nd.

I Love him. Whoever he is...

Just out of interest, what do you think that the SallyGross matchup is for this deck?

Not good. Hard to tell exactly with the ammount of testing I've done.

And, I'm waiting to know what Power Keepers holds until I do anymore serious testing or deckbuilding.

I. Hate. This. Deck.

Sorry.

Last edited:
Hey now, It can be beat with a good Banette. In our 6 matches together with Keaton he was 4-2, but his wins were always close.

this looks like a great deck...but this is wut i would do........

add in a 2-2 Steelix ex
1 adventurer
1 researcher
2 electrodes
2 switch............

dunt kno wut to take out yet cuz im really sleepy...........
i'll post more about it 2morrow but i cant c myself playin
this deck without a 2-2 steelix ex and....if a onix or a steelix is
prized then i'll be a tough match against a big Psychic Resistence
like a stupid shiftry or a Tyranitar ex and when the new set comes out the world
will probably bleed blaziken and blaziken ex and Steelix is kinda weak to it and that
wont be fun trading 2-1 prizes......so u gotta watch out for that stuff.......
BUT THIS IS A REALLY GOOD DECK WITH OR WITHOUT THE CHANGES
and EVERYBODY PLAY THERE DECKS DIFFERENT so there are always gonna be
changes that people like and dont like so no hard feelings about the changes to your deck..........:wink:
BUT LIKE I SAID THIS IS A GOOD DECK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back