Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My attempt at Flariados

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinzer0

I ran a Flariados deck at MD states, it did not do too well, mostly due to my own misplays, but Ive been tweeking it and this is were im at. Any help or changes would be helpful.

Pokemon 19

4 Eevee DS CFF
3 Flareon EX DS
1 Espeon EX UF
1 Vaporeon EX DS

4 Spinarak DS
4 Ariados DS

1 Drowzee DS
1 Hypno DS

Trainers 28

2 Battle Frontier
3 Full Flame

2 Copycat
3 Mary's Request
2 Scott
4 PETM

4 Great Ball
4 Master Ball
4 Super Scoop Up

Energy 13

9 Grass Energy
4 Multi Energy

Archetype strategy... load up status ailments and knockout with Ariados. Flareon for burn, confuse, and quick 70 damage. Espeon to devolve potentially dangerous bench. Hypno locks sleeping pokemon. Devolve with Espy, lock sleep with hypno, and Spider trap with Ariados. BF for Metanite, Full Flame locks burn on defending pokemon, copycat and mary's request for draw, scott for supporter and more importantly stadium pull, PETM for evolution pull, Master and great balls to pull card w/o wasting supporter. Scoop ups to recycle Flareon and Espeon. Thats it any fixes are welcome, especially if anyone can help with consistency.

Last edited:
Not an expert on Flariados, but you may want to take out Hypno and give those 4 spots to one more draw and 3 ER2.

Not an expert on Flariados, but you may want to take out Hypno and give those 4 spots to one more draw and 3 ER2.

Hypno isnt a BAD option exactly, I myself do not like it. It is a tech that I have used before and it worked a little bit but no too much.

ER2's are obsolete nowadays.

Wow I totally disagree with you gengar. Flariados takes a lot of skill to play. you need to know when to drop what cards and choose what attack to use when. I know this from experience as I could have prob won several of the matches I lost in MD states if I played the deck correctly. I agree some moments can come down to a coin or dice, but the whole deck is by no means luck... It wouldnt have won atleast 3 state champs to my knowledge if this was the case. Anyways I thought about the ER2's, but I like the hypno better. Ive played many matches were placing it just right could help take down some heavy hitters.

Wow I totally disagree with you gengar. Flariados takes a lot of skill to play. you need to know when to drop what cards and choose what attack to use when. I know this from experience as I could have prob won several of the matches I lost in MD states if I played the deck correctly. I agree some moments can come down to a coin or dice, but the whole deck is by no means luck... It wouldnt have won atleast 3 state champs to my knowledge if this was the case. Anyways I thought about the ER2's, but I like the hypno better. Ive played many matches were placing it just right could help take down some heavy hitters.

Definitly ER2 over hypno man.
I also agree that this deck takes some skill, I argue this a lot with people, you have to know when exactly to lay down Flareon EX or other tech and when to spider trap. This deck is very Flippy but I LOVE THIS DECK.

I know you're already sold on the deck anyway, but this deck isn't nearly as flip dependent as people say it is. Sleep from Spider Trap are the most vital flips IMO.

I agree, ER2 is obsolete. Most decks that play Holon's Pokemon discard them for huge attacks the turn they play them. The big decks today also have energy acceleration, negating ER2. It simply doesn't make your worst match ups tilt in your favor.

I think Hypno is kinda silly. Some of your worst match ups include Cessation Crystal, meaning 4 Windstorm would be really nice. GL

Quoting this if and When Flariados wins regionals.

First of all, it won a regionals in 2006 under John Silvestro (I'm pretty sure of this, at least).

It'a also won South Carolina states and has gotten t8 at Nationals (Steve S) and t16 worlds (again, Steve S)

Gengar: you may not like the deck (I personally despise it to teh point of metagaming the HECK out of it) but the forum rules CLEARLY state that only HELPFUL comments are allowed. Please keep personal opinions about the merit of a deck to yourself or to a PM.

Also, for the author of the thread:

ER2s are amazing in the deck. Not only does Holon GL make you fold, but being able to remove a castform, or drag up a pokemon and remove their energy is very brutal. I don't think Hypno DS is worth it in the deck.

I say you drop some of the gyms to make room for windstorm. Otherwise cessation crystal gives you too rough a time. Use at least 2-3 BF still, because you need them vs Metanite and Flygon.

Use the Holon Engine to get basics out. You'll find it's faster, more consistent, and alleviates more slots.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

http://pojo.com/pokemon/FeaturedWriters/Steven_Silvestro/2007/3-13.shtml

Silvestro posted his list for everyone to see. Take good note of what he uses. They invented the deck, and are the best players of the deck. With regionals, states, and cities under their belt, along with further cuts at nationals and worlds, their word is pretty solid on how/what to run Flariados with.

Last edited:
my list fairly similar to his but mine is better IMO, well atleast for the metagame part anyways, he must run into a lot of Raieggs decks apprently otherwise he wouldnt have 2 Giant Stump which really helps the metanite matchup in your favor.
It isnt a bad list but I like mine just a little bit more but I am not docking the guy, I know he is much better than me with it, I just havent got the chance to prove myself at how good I am with the deck because I do not go to many tourneys.

First of all, it won a regionals in 2006 under John Silvestro (I'm pretty sure of this, at least).

It'a also won South Carolina states and has gotten t8 at Nationals (Steve S) and t16 worlds (again, Steve S)

Gengar: you may not like the deck (I personally despise it to teh point of metagaming the HECK out of it) but the forum rules CLEARLY state that only HELPFUL comments are allowed. Please keep personal opinions about the merit of a deck to yourself or to a PM.

Also, for the author of the thread:

ER2s are amazing in the deck. Not only does Holon GL make you fold, but being able to remove a castform, or drag up a pokemon and remove their energy is very brutal. I don't think Hypno DS is worth it in the deck.

I say you drop some of the gyms to make room for windstorm. Otherwise cessation crystal gives you too rough a time. Use at least 2-3 BF still, because you need them vs Metanite and Flygon.

Use the Holon Engine to get basics out. You'll find it's faster, more consistent, and alleviates more slots.

http://pojo.com/pokemon/FeaturedWriters/Steven_Silvestro/2007/3-13.shtml

Silvestro posted his list for everyone to see. Take good note of what he uses. They invented the deck, and are the best players of the deck. With regionals, states, and cities under their belt, along with further cuts at nationals and worlds, their word is pretty solid on how/what to run Flariados with.
In all honesty man ER2's arent brutal anymore. With the ability to delta charge, delta supply, and the other various ways of getting extra energy on the pokemon have made ER2 useless.
ER2....rest in peace..............

Last edited:
er2 is the ONLY chance the deck has at beating flygon d.
And ripping off an energy is ALWAYS brutal. I don't care what deck it is- discarding an energy ALWAYS hurts. If you use a proper er2, it can be devestating. It doesn't matter if a deck can delta supply, if you can rip off a castform you can really mess someone over.

Vs Flygon: crucial to peel off GL
Vs Metanite: not as crucial, but can still be harsh if you time it right
Vs Delta: discarding energy can be pretty damn important. Instance: Riachu has a metal on it. Your combo does 70, leaving them with 10hp if they flip heads on the burn check. Now they simply retreat and you don't have a prize to take from them. Of course you can still spider trap it, but that means you've taken two turns to KO a 70hp pokemon.
Vs Smoothie King: It's pretty dern brutal to discard a castform or multi energy that mew or ray ex might use. They have no means of energy acceleration, so discarding their energy sets them back an entire turn.
Vs any deck without acceleration: discarding an energy sets them back an entire turn. Discarding a holon's pokemon sets them back TWO turns.

Saying er2 isn't effective is just ignorant. Your example of delta supply isn't even correct because holon GL wins them the GAME if you can't remove it.

Rest in peace spam...
GG

Last edited:
er2 is the ONLY chance the deck has at beating flygon d.
And ripping off an energy is ALWAYS brutal. I don't care what deck it is- discarding an energy ALWAYS hurts. If you use a proper er2, it can be devestating. It doesn't matter if a deck can delta supply, if you can rip off a castform you can really mess someone over.

Vs Flygon: crucial to peel off GL
Vs Metanite: not as crucial, but can still be harsh if you time it right
Vs Delta: discarding energy can be pretty damn important. Instance: Riachu has a metal on it. Your combo does 70, leaving them with 10hp if they flip heads on the burn check. Now they simply retreat and you don't have a prize to take from them. Of course you can still spider trap it, but that means you've taken two turns to KO a 70hp pokemon.
Vs Smoothie King: It's pretty dern brutal to discard a castform or multi energy that mew or ray ex might use. They have no means of energy acceleration, so discarding their energy sets them back an entire turn.
Vs any deck without acceleration: discarding an energy sets them back an entire turn. Discarding a holon's pokemon sets them back TWO turns.

Saying er2 isn't effective is just ignorant. Your example of delta supply isn't even correct because holon GL wins them the GAME if you can't remove it.

Rest in peace spam...
GG

ER2 will not be played by anybody if they are good with Flariados. ER2 is soooooo uber useless. why waste the space in your deck when you can substitute it for the holon engine?
Coming from a pretty good Flariados player ER2 is not good anymore.

ER2 will not be played by anybody if they are good with Flariados. ER2 is soooooo uber useless. why waste the space in your deck when you can substitute it for the holon engine?
Coming from a pretty good Flariados player ER2 is not good anymore.

Yeah man, it's so useless. It's only the one chance you have of beating flygon. You know, the deck that took 3 states and a 3rd at another? The deck that was 25% of the metagame in the entire southeast? yeah dude, truly and utterly useless indeed.

It's really bad against decks like destiny (which won ~3 states) because discarding 1-2 energy in a deck that doesn't energy accelerate is bad. It's even worse against decks like delta where you can whiff on the KO because of metal.

When I see you have a states trophy or regional trophy I'll accept your opinion that you're "a pretty good flariados player".

If you go to the south and don't use er2 you will lose, lose, lose.

ER2 is just a overall great card. I dont play it no more just cause i have no luck with flips, and in my metagame its not as effective as lets say a metagame full of destiny, raieggs and flygon. Its still a great card in bug and to call it useless is non sense.

As for the fixes for the deck yea basically adding in the holon engine and taking out hypno. Unforuately espeon ex isnt that useful anymore. I also dont like full flame just cause it only works if you get a flip go your way and relying on flips is never good.

I ran a Flariados deck at MD states, it did not do too well, mostly due to my own misplays, but Ive been tweeking it and this is were im at. Any help or changes would be helpful.

Pokemon 19

4 Eevee DS CFF
3 Flareon EX DS
1 Espeon EX UF
1 Vaporeon ex

4 Spinarak DS
4 Ariados DS

2 Holon's Electrode

Trainers 30

2 Battle Frontier
3 Full Flame

2 Prof.Oak
4 Mary's Request
2 Scott
4 PETM

4 Great Ball
4 Super Scoop Up
4 ER2

Energy 12

8 Grass Energy
4 Multi Energy
2 empty spaces for yo to fill. you can put the holon engine if you have it.

hope i helped

ER2 is just a overall great card. I dont play it no more just cause i have no luck with flips, and in my metagame its not as effective as lets say a metagame full of destiny, raieggs and flygon. Its still a great card in bug and to call it useless is non sense.

As for the fixes for the deck yea basically adding in the holon engine and taking out hypno. Unforuately espeon ex isnt that useful anymore. I also dont like full flame just cause it only works if you get a flip go your way and relying on flips is never good.
ok well ER2 isnt useless but it isnt the play for Flariados IMO.

Well now that depends on your metagame. I actually dont play it in my bug either as all there is in my metagame is msn and metanite and a few otehr random stuff. So its not needed. But if your in a metagame of lets say delta, destiny, and rk9 just for example er2 can be a devasting card in bug.

And playing the holon engine is the play. Its very consistant and swarming bugs is the way to go. If you wanna see how some look just go to the flaridos archtype and see silvestro's list on pojo.com/pokemon to have a idea of how the deck looks now.

Thanks for all the advice within the little ER2 war. Well, I actually just put a Vaporeon EX in my deck, also I like ER2 but I personally dont like to add the extra flip into the game, so i think im gonna keep em out. Also, regarding Hypno, I have playtested my list ( the updated one which will be posted soon) against a friend of mine running a delta, a metanite, and a Flygon. Hypno helped a lot in Metanite as i often locked sleep on his active. Also Espy and hypno is a great combo were espy devolves bench, and spider trap, than as long as the sleep sticks, than the card is locked active and asleep, asuming they cant retreat, or switch. Also My flariados seemed to speed through delta with like a 80-20 win rate in my favor. The other thought was the holon engine. Personally because flariados is a speed deck, and not really a powerhouse, holon engine just slows it down. Great balls, master balls, PETM, copycat, marys, and scott seem to give me all the pull i want. SO im about to update my list so any critizism after that would be helpful. BTW I would appreciate the ER2 argument not to spam this thread and if anyone else is that heated about just use PM. Thanks

BS
flaridos is all about hard damage and disruption
a well timed er2 can kill
as ryan vergel kept pointing out, go against flygon and TRY to even get a few prizes without er2
and yes, it also helps against metanite (we run out of switches eventually...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back