Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My First Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwachansey

This is my first deck ever... I have been collecting since Jungle but never wanted to make a deck... thank you to everyone who gave their help!

Pokemon - 22

x3 Turtwig
x2 Grotle
x2 Torterra - Stormfront or Majestic Dawn?
x1 Torterra X

x2 Treecko
x1 Grovyle - can I count on Rare Candy to get Sceptile out quick?
x1/x2 Sceptile - can I make it last?

x4 Bidoof
x3 Bibarel - can't resist 2 energy for 60 damage

x2 Snover
x1 Abomasnow - just in case I need extra damage - Stormfront or Majestic Dawn?

Help - 21

x2 Technical Machine TS - 1
x3 Cynthia's Feelings
x4 Bebe's Search
x1 Luxury Ball
x2 Poke Ball
x2 Switch - Torterra = 4 retreat cost
x2 Great Ball
x4 Poke - Healer ++
x1 Super Scoop Up
x1 Rare Candy - what can I take away to add more?

Energy - 17

x10 Grass
x5 Water
x1 Double Rainbow Energy

Thanks for your feedback!

Do I need more energy? Maybe I can make it a just grass deck? I like Water in case I battle a Fire deck, and I simply love Bibarel.

And do I really need Uxie/Claydol with all these draw cards?

Oh, strategy:

Get Torterra to do 100 damage a turn. Using Sceptile, this can happen very quickly; with Rare Candy, even quicker!

Last edited:
Compared to my first deck, yours is 100% times better. I didn't even play energy =).

Claydol and uxie are good, they would help a lot, especially in a torterra deck.

use Stormfront Abomasnow.

You can take away Double Rainbow Energy and one TM TS-2 for the Rare Candy, you need them.

Good Luck.

Thanks!

But I still don't get Uxie/Claydol. All they do is let you draw a few extra cards when I already have cards that let me look through my deck for any card, not just the ones on top of my deck.

Does TM TS - 1 let you evolve twice (I mean, place a Torterra on a Treecko? If so, isn't it better than Rare Candy?

As I have been collecting cards for many years and bought several decks, I know to use energy (though I used to think that the more energy and retreat cost meant a card was really good - Snorlax was my best card).

I still can't get over 2 energy for 60 damage. My first cards did 40 energy for 4 energies... Fearow....

Thanks!

But I still don't get Uxie/Claydol. All they do is let you draw a few extra cards when I already have cards that let me look through my deck for any card, not just the ones on top of my deck.

Does TM TS - 1 let you evolve twice (I mean, place a Torterra on a Treecko? If so, isn't it better than Rare Candy?

As I have been collecting cards for many years and bought several decks, I know to use energy (though I used to think that the more energy and retreat cost meant a card was really good - Snorlax was my best card).

I still can't get over 2 energy for 60 damage. My first cards did 40 energy for 4 energies... Fearow....

TM TS1 acts as an attack. So, while it lets you evolve any 1 pokemon, you need an attack for each stage of evolution. As such, it generally isn't quite as good as Rare Candy, even if it lets you pull the evolution from the deck.

Claydol is very good. Much better than just a few extra cards. It actually lets you both re-fill your hand and get rid of unnecessary cards at the same time. And not only that, it does so every turn. The searching cards may get what you need out of your deck, but Claydol is how you end up with several searching cards in your hand at once (or just makes searching unnecessary.)

Uxie is similar, but less so.

Last edited:
Oh my, I just looked at Claydol, and not only is it amazing, it also works every turn (like you said, thanks!). I would LOVE for it to be in my deck - but it's Fighting type. Should I use rainbow energies? Does it even need to attack? What should I take out for it?

Also, which Torterra should I use - Majestic Dawn or Diamond and Pearl? AND HOW CAN I HEAL MY POKEMON?

Thanks!

I would drop the Bidoof/Bibarel for the Claydol, if I were you.

And, generally, Claydol doesn't attack, even in decks that run fighting energy anyway. In 98/100 cases, Claydol attacking means something is horribly wrong.

No no no I cannot resist two energy for 60 damage that is simply incredible to me I must use it in a deck.

How can I heal my Pokemon?

If you feel it necessary to heal your pokemon, you have two fairly convenient options.

Option 1, PokeHealer+: Running 4 of these allows you to quickly heal massive amounts of damage and special conditions in key situations. If you're playing against certain special condition decks, you may even choose to use them individually, though you typically save them until they can be used in pairs.

Option 2, Dawn Stadium: Dawn Stadium is a great option for grass and/or water decks to easily counter special conditions and spot-heal. Plus, it counters opponents Stadiums, which is important in the current format.

Ooooh, Dawn is great! I MAY remove Bibarel/Bidoof + Abomasnow but then I'd only have 2 main pokemon + I'd be weak against Fire... help me please?

It's good to have 2 main Pokemon and nothing but support and techs. To fight against Fire Type, it'll be a tough match up, but Fire Types should be limited in your area because of Kingdra. Every deck has a bad match up, and you should first focus on building your deck before focusing on a type weakness that may or may not be used.

As for the Dawn versus Poke Healer topic, I would suggest Dawn. It's a good counter stadium, and you can use PokeHealer+ only 4 times.

Thanks! How can I find someone to play? I live in Brooklyn, NY.

You can usually go to your local game shop and ask if they have organised plays for Pokemon TCG. If they don't they usually know where and when organised play is held nearby.

Additionally, tourneys are good places to meet people, get used to them and the game, but also a great way to network and build up playing experience. You can also play online, using RedShark, against alot of other players.

No leagues within 250 miles of Brooklyn, NY? Surely that must be an error...even if there are no leagues within NYC itself (unlikely,) there should at least be leagues on the Jersey side of things...

try this list:
Pokemon (19)
x3 Turtwig(DP/PL)
x2 Grotle(take your pick all are ok)
x2 Torterra(DP 140 hp giant that heals all of your pokemon is amasing)
x1 Torterra(PL amazing attacker)
x1 Torterra X

x2 Treecko(SF) call for friends helps starts
x1 Grovyle(SF)
x2 Sceptile(GE)

x2 Baltoy
x2 Claydol(best card in format.)

x1 Uxie(makes a bad set up a good one. if you get a good set up then just put in back in with Claydoll)

Trainers(25)
x2 looker's Investigation(Great for disruption or setting back up if needed)
x2 Cynthia's Feelings
x4 Bebe's Search
x4 Roseanne's Research(sollid gets Basic pokes early and Nrg when needed)
x3 Dawn Stadium(it heels you and gets rid of their stadium and that is big right now if you want to play in a tournment)
x1 Luxury Ball
x2 Night Maintnce(gets your guys backin deck to fight again)
x3 Warp Point(Switch with disruption)
x4 Rare Candy

Enargy(16)
x16 Grass Nrg

this is a prety generic list and you can make changes as you like to fit your style. don't play biberal 2 nrg for 60 isn't all that great. you dont need the heelers if you play dawn and attack with DP tortera most to the time. Technical Machine TS - 1 is not good in this deck becausr you albays want to be doing damage to get closer to KOs. hope i helped and good luck with the deck.

PS. you can never put
Torterra on a Treecko
even if you do play candy, and i thought the neutral growns had a league. check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back