Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My Pre-Release Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

annisarich

No spoilers here please...

This isnt a deck per se and I hope this is on topic.
If not please move it where it fits best.

But what is the best way to explain the pre-release format to new players.
Can you folks give some guide lines to deck building in this tourney format.
Make a list such as: ( not real info below.)

Shoot for having at least 18 energy because drawing is not a factor.
never use more than one type of pokemon

This Should be interesting.
:p

Divide your pokemon by type and determine which 2-3 types you can build.
Go for any evolution lines that you have the most of. Often you need to settle for anything better than a 1-1 and sometimes you still need a 1-1.
BBPs (Big Basic Pokemon) are extremely helpful with little to no draw power. This means prey for those Aqua's Kyogre and Magma's Groudon.
Look for pokemon with good powers/bodies. Often ones that normally aren't good enough for constructed play. Remember this is usually a low damage, low resource environment. Things like Dragons Pineco are great. Prevent 20 damage from every attack done to Pineco. In constructed its easy to do enough damage but not in Sealed.
Use every trainer you have unless it is completely wrong for your deck. (Like not much use for Low Pressure System if you have a psychic/Fighting deck.) Any kind of draw or search power no matter how bad for constructed you must use in Sealed.
After you have picked out your pokemon and Trainers put in the energy. In these 6-pack tourneys you won't have that much worth playing so you will usually play 15-18 nrg. Don't get too excited in trying to fit in every last poke you want and replace nrg. It is better to play too much nrg than too much pokemon. So forget that last 1-1-1 line.
If you know the set well then you can take into account the largest groups of types in the set. If the set is water dominant maybe you favor picking Lightning over Fire. Don't get too wrapped up in this though. Always go for the best pokemon in each type you get before you take the field into account.
These are general guidelines but there might be some specifics in TMTA sealed.
There are many Aqua pokemon that give benefit effects to other Aqua pokemon, and the same for Magma pokemon. Most of these cards were specifically meant to be played together which we don't often see in Sealed. Also there are Aqua pokemon that do more damage to Magma pokemon and vice-versa. So they are also meant to be played against each other. I envision 3 types of decks, Magma decks, Aqua decks, Magma/Aqua decks. These extra bonuses meant for this matchup will make this sealed event more exciting.

1) Keep all your trainers
2) Select your best 25 pokemon (usually by damage)
3) see how many different energy types you need.
4) IF you need three or more energy types then the deck probably wont work.
5) You need 16 energy minimum.
6) Status effects are as good as damage

rinse an repeat trying to satisfy as many of the above as closely as possible. You can expect to end up with around 18 pokemon and a two colour deck with 18 energies and 4 trainers.

HTH

Yeah, use the strongest of what you get... as far as multi color, more than 2, decks, I have had great luck the last 2 times having all 6 the first time in SS (I had Kecleon, so it worked, it was 1 of the 3 types that werent in the deck and 3 main types). The Dragons deck also had 6, but I pulled a holo Flygon with 2-2 Vibrava to work off of, also had 1 extra of the 2 energy my deck wasnt based off of... It was mostly Grass/Lightning, didnt hurt I had Latios too....

Basically look at what you pull, and what you think will work best. Status is great in this format, more basics than fish in the ocean, meaning low HP, Poison/Burn works great here.

If you pull stage 1's 2's, consider using them, but dont rely on them though, they are likely not to pop up often, maybe a game or 2 if you are really lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back